Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: trans atlantic pregnancy  (Read 2341 times)

• Liked: 0
trans atlantic pregnancy
« on: February 27, 2005, 12:09:05 AM »
so -
i have just found out that i am pregnant with a u.k. citizens baby.
do i have any rights to settle there due to this change in circumstance?
i'm confused
scared a little
and not too sure what to do with him being there and me being here.
we had plans to get married and be together but things got to stressful and we recently broke up.
i have no clue.
none at all.
any advice or experince would be appreciated....
thanks so much.
x
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 05:35:28 PM by esther »
there's nothing wrong with generalizing ~ everybody does it

• Liked: 2
Re: trans atlantic pregnancy
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 12:40:14 AM »
Hi Esther, even if your baby was born in the UK this alone would not give you a right to reside here.  I take it you are in the USA? You would need to pursue any claim for child support through the legal system there but it will be difficult to enforce it if the child's father is a UK citizen in the UK.   Does he know you are pregnant?  I don't know how the law stands in the US on this, but in the UK if the parents aren't married, you can only name the father on the birth certificate if he is present at the registration of the birth details.

Good luck and I wish you all the best for a happy and healthy pregnancy.

• Liked: 25
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 01:34:48 AM »
Hi Esther, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this. :( I would be scared and confused too.

Here is a link to the UK Child Support Agency page related to your circumstance.
http://www.csa.gov.uk/newcsaweb/faq/application/abroad.asp

Near the bottom, it does state "This is a reciprocal arrangement which means that foreign maintenance orders in favour of individuals abroad can be registered and enforced by UK courts against UK residents. "

And one of the countries it has the agreement with is the USA, though "United States
(not Alabama,
Mississippi,
South Carolina, or
District of Columbia)"

So you'd have to start with your local child support agency or courts. They'd best be able to advise. You can collect if you get an order for support there. Legal aid might be an option.

My husband was in the UK when our oldest daughter was born in the USA (before we were married), I got a paternity form and posted it to him, he had it signed and notarized and sent it back to me to pass on to the Dept of Statistics or whatever it was callled then.

Best of luck to you, I hope it works out, things usually do work out in the end. Drop in on us anytime. ((((hugs))))
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 01:36:52 AM by Leah »

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 06:29:51 AM »
thanks to both of you -
i haven't spoken with him yet and was hopeing for a bit of information before i did.
i know in my heart that i'm keeping the baby with or without his support.
i just don't want him to promise support and then not come good with it.
i hope things do work themselves out.
i know they will one way or another ~ for now i'm just keeping my faith that everything happens for a reason.
thanks again.

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 09:28:53 AM »
Hello,

My DH and I broke up when I was pregnant with his child, while I was in the US.  You can get child support enforced in the UK through a petition filed in the US courts.  The amount will go by your state Child support laws.  I was in Tennessee and it would have been 32% of his wages. We have since gotten back together, but I fully investaged my options for the benefit of our unborn child.

In the US the father must be present or sign off on a form that Leah stated for his name to be registered on the Birth Certificate.  You can still file a motion naming your ex has a the father and DNA tests can be court ordered.  Hopefully, your ex will be present or take responsibility.

I wish you the very best.  I was filled with such hurt and a sense of loss that I can imagine how you feel.  Please PM if you would like to know more about the laws or some one who has been in your situation.

The links Leah provided are a great source. 

Danielle

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 07:17:31 PM »
well -
i talked to daddy-to-be today and he was oddly more supporitive then i expected.
i'm only a month along here and we just broke up after my last visit so it's been a rush of events....
we're both thinking over our options.
i know he wants to be a part of our baby's life and of course i'd like him to be as well.
but that mother instinct has already kicked in and i let him know that no matter what it takes i will do everything in my power to protect and nurture our baby's emotional and physical well being as well as my own.
any changes that need to be made i'm ready to make.
i guess the major concern is where we would raise the child if we we're to do it together.
being british his family lacks the warmth i'm accustomed to and i'm not sure that i would get all the support that i would need if i did go back to cornwall with him.
being british he might lack the pride and feelings of control that he sooo needs if he came to america to raise the baby.

it's a cunundrum.
but if praying helps then i think in the end he and i will find our way to one another and a peacful supportive exsistence for our own family.
and i sincerly hope praying helps.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 09:57:37 PM »
Hi Esther,

I just read your post and while I don't have children and can't advise you...I so wish you the very best!  ;)

Warn regards!

Julie

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2005, 03:32:50 AM »
My thoughts are with you, and no matter what happens with this situation I  have a feeling your new bean is in capable, loving, wonderful hands - with or without your ex. Your head and heart are in the right place, and I wish you all the strength in the world.
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 02:10:06 PM »
Hey Girls!!  [smiley=smash.gif]
All is going really well here.
[smiley=heart.gif] Mark has pulled himself together and is doing what he can to move quickly on a finace visa for me. [smiley=heart.gif]
His family isn't happy and neither is mine but it's really about starting our own family now.
The whole reason we broke up pertained to the distnace and effort to be together.
I couldn't take it really and neither could he but we've got a whole new reason to try.
What I'm wondering is if the pregnancy will help with a visa or be a hinderace???
Mark has an appointment on Monday with the an Advice Counsel so that should help.
If I have baby in England does baby have dual citizenship?
I'm getting alot of crazy advice from people that read that book "Not Without My Daughter" and are suddenly authority's on international policy. [smiley=laugh4.gif]
I'm gonna pop over to the Visa section and seek some advice there as well.
Thanks ~
Esther   

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 02:13:48 PM »
Your baby will be a UK citizen as long as you're married.  Doesn't matter where you live. 

*unsolicited advise warning ;)  Just make sure this is what you really want, because it's a huge step and don't burn too many bridges along the way.  Other than that, good luck and congratulations.   :)

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 02:18:38 PM »
even if i'm still an american citizen at the time of baby's birth?
i don't think we will be married before the baby is born although baby will be born in bude.

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 02:22:21 PM »
No, it doesn't matter what your status is.  You will be on a settlement visa, you won't actually qualify for UK citizenship for three years, and then you have to apply. 
Children of British citizen fathers only gain UK citizenship if their parents are married.  But, you don't have to be married at the time of birth.  If you get married after the baby is born it's very easy to get.  Otherwise the baby will have the same visa status that you do. 

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 02:42:40 PM »
that makes sense.
so unless we're married baby is american.
once we're married i'll apply for baby to have british citizenship and myself at the same time.
thanks a ton

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 04:09:53 PM »
Baby will be eligible for US citizenship and UK citizenship(if you're married).  You won't be eligible for UK citizenship for three years.  You will however need to apply for your visa-check in the visa section.  That's not my area of expertise since it's all changed since I arrived.   :)

• Liked: 2
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2005, 07:03:20 PM »

I'm getting alot of crazy advice from people that read that book "Not Without My Daughter" and are suddenly authority's on international policy. [smiley=laugh4.gif]

that book is a load of (*^)(&*%^#%@%!!!!! :)

Glad everything is coming together for you now. Just ask if you want to know anything else.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab