Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Limescale....HELP!!  (Read 4403 times)

• Liked: 0
Limescale....HELP!!
« on: January 10, 2005, 04:57:04 PM »
I am in need of some advice on how to remove limescale from the toliet bowl(what a lovely subject, I know).  I have a new bathroom suite and the limescale has already attacked my new fixtures.  I clean often, I just have not found a way or product to remove the limescale from the toliet.

If anyone has any suggestions, please post.

Thank you,
Danielle

• Liked: 2
Re: Limescale....HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 04:58:39 PM »
Have you tried Cilit Bang? I haven't tried it myself but it is supposed to work really well.

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 05:00:11 PM »
Toilet Duck "active tablets" - you toss one in and let it sit for a half hour or so. I use them once a week, and it seems to work pretty thoroughly - my only complaint would be that it really only gets it in the extreme lower bit of the toilet - ours has a pretty bad build-up around the inside of the rim and for the life of me I can't figure out a way to get rid of that. Yuck.

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 05:01:20 PM »
Gosh, never had a problem with toilets before.  I use thick bleach when cleaning my loo.

I do have problems with my taps.  If it's light build up, I'll use either vinegar or lemon juice (also use that for the kettle and sinks).  If it's a heavy build up, I use a product called Lime Lite.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Banned

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 05:08:17 PM »
There are all sorts of tablets and liquids that tackle limescale.  You can use vinegar as well.
Gobsmacked!

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 05:21:22 PM »
Have you tried Cilit Bang?

I'm terribly sorry, but I had to do a double take on this one!   :o

Maybe my mind's in the toilet...
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2005, 05:28:40 PM »

I'm terribly sorry, but I had to do a double take on this one!   :o

Maybe my mind's in the toilet...

Gosh, I did as well!! ;)

Thanks for the help, I will have to get some new products at the store tomorrow.

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2005, 05:57:47 PM »
I can heartily reccomend Tesco's 100% Toilet limescale remover.  Don't go for the cleaners, make sure it's the 100%.  Leave it in for a while, apply some elbow grease and viola!  Clean toilet.

Be careful with Cilit Bang.  It does work really well but is very strong and made our cat sick all over the clean back room.   :)

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2005, 06:12:02 PM »
A bit off topic but possibly a limescale problem.
Our 4 year old washing machine constantly has a awful musty odor. When I was preg. I couldnt even open the door without gagging. What is this? Is it limescale? Am I supposed to be cleaning this thing with something? The clothes dont smell when I take them out its just while the machines empty. I never had this problem with my American machine.

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 06:22:25 PM »
A bit off topic but possibly a limescale problem.
Our 4 year old washing machine constantly has a awful musty odor. When I was preg. I couldnt even open the door without gagging. What is this? Is it limescale? Am I supposed to be cleaning this thing with something? The clothes dont smell when I take them out its just while the machines empty. I never had this problem with my American machine.

Mine has a funny smell as well!  What needs to be done?

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 06:31:06 PM »

Mine has a funny smell as well! What needs to be done?

lol. I know its not funny but I cracked up when I read your reply. Must be in a goofy mood tonight. Dont worry  Maddierose. We'll support each other and get to the bottom of our washing machine funk!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 06:32:39 PM »
Run some white vinegar through a wash cycle without clothing in it. 
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2005, 06:36:56 PM »
Run some white vinegar through a wash cycle without clothing in it.
Really. How much vinegar and should it be on a hot cycle? Do you know what the phantom funk is actually?

• Witchiepoo
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 06:39:39 PM »
Along with the vinegar, I'd run baking soda too.
Insert wonderfully creative signature here …

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2005, 06:44:10 PM »

Really. How much vinegar and should it be on a hot cycle? Do you know what the phantom funk is actually?

A cup of vinegar should be fine but remember, if you mix it with baking soda, you'll have a big ol' fizzy mess!  You could run baking soda first and then vinegar in another run.  The funk could be soap build-up or just mould.  Mine gets kinda scummy every once in a while from fabric softener and I just run really hot water through it to break it up.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab