Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Using an agency  (Read 3267 times)

• Liked: 0
Using an agency
« on: November 18, 2004, 12:21:42 PM »
Hi,

From what I gather it is difficult for an american to get a job in the UK.   Does anyone have any experience using an agency?

Sheri
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 01:55:52 PM by Sheri67 »

• azroomie & james
  • Liked: 2
Re: Using an agency
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 12:40:18 PM »
I am also using an agency but am at a stand still because I have  to get a "certificate of good conduct" from the American Embassy in London..
It is  basically the equivalent to a  security check or criminal record check that we  have in the  uS.  she sounds really promising..but it's a pain in the   a**..   even my husband is disappointed how difficult it is  for me to find work..  like  maybe we believed the  "hype' that they need  teachers..  Sigh*  let me know how it goes..
"Courage is the power to let go of the familiar." - Raymond Lindquist

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 12:45:28 PM »
actually most jobs are listed and found through agencies.

what kind of work are you looking in and where?

i've got some good ones that i've used and some reaaaallllly bad ones.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 12:49:19 PM »
The UK does need teachers, but not enough to forego ensuring that they aren't criminals in their "home" countries.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 12:55:50 PM »
Hi,

From what I gather it is difficult for an american to get a job in the UK. I am going to go to an agency. Is this a good idea? They seem to believe that they can help me get a temp NIN and begin general office work straight away. Does anyone have any experience using an agency?

Sheri

Hi Sheri,

I've been using agencies in the UK. I found it much easier and less stressful than looking up jobs in the paper and I found that most companies use agencies than not.

It's no more difficult for an American to get a job in the UK than in the US.

They will give you a temp NIN number (it's a formula of your birthday and stuff, nothing special) and I'm sure they'll give you work.

My advice is to use as many agencies as possible. I had the tendancy to be loyal to one agency and I never got the jobs I wanted.

As soon as you get a job then apply for your permenant NIN number (to prevent the Gov't from draining you with tax).

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 01:12:17 PM »
I posted this on another thread; assuming you're looking for PA/Exec. Asst. type work:

The first agency I signed up with, who gave me my first job, was ACME (and no, Wylie Coyote is not the Office Manager... my US friends have already commented!) - it was for only a day, but, it paid well, it was in a great area, and this was my first week here, and I appreciated that the woman trusted me right off the bat.  (I think they have a few offices, I went to the one near Oxford Circus)  http://www.acme-appointments.co.uk/

Another one that was a bit flaky, but a good friend of mine has had better luck with them, and I did get one very good, long term, well paying gig, was Roberts Knight Selection (down the street from Bank station).  www.robertsknight.com

The two I LOVE:

Hodge Recruitment - a bit slow starting, but ended up with another longterm temp assignment in the West End that was FAB; and the job I'm in, which was a temp to perm, and I LOVE IT.  The women at Hodge are lovely, patient, and positive.  www.hodge.co.uk

Hudson - I registered and interviewed with them the day before I got my present job; so I cannot say I have firsthand experience at their placement; however, I was more than impressed by their facilities (HUGE building and offices), the organisation - one person tests, one 'coordinates', one 'fills the positions', as well as a very extensive interview, really wanting to know the specifics about me and what type of environment I would suit and vice versa - and, they were the only agency that made a point of emphasizing, CALL US EVERY DAY. 
I was highly, highly impressed with them, and they would be the first I would call should I need to change jobs.  http://uk.hudson.com

I also have heard that Office Angels is one of the most popular agencies as well.

Good luck!
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 01:17:25 PM »
hudson i reccommend.  yes

also witan jardine

and joslin rowe.  they were AWESOME

• York Interweb
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2004, 02:39:50 PM »
Any recommendations for agencies that place managerial level positions? I don't want to walk into a place where they don't even look at my CV, just order me to go into a room and take a typing test.  (I've had that done to me a number of times in the US.)

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 02:42:07 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 01:56:34 PM by Sheri67 »

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 02:53:13 PM »
Any recommendations for agencies that place managerial level positions? I don't want to walk into a place where they don't even look at my CV, just order me to go into a room and take a typing test.  (I've had that done to me a number of times in the US.)

Not sure; but, maybe start with calling Hudson and see what they recommend.  I think they might do various levels.
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

• York Interweb
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 05:51:49 PM »
Thanks. I know I'm going to have to seek out some agencies because I need an introduction to the world of English work, however I am not looking forward to it because I've had bad experiences with agencies in the past in the US.

Basically, because they work on commission and their goal is to get the employers the workers they need, not to fulfill your goal of having a satisfying job.

On my last job search, which was many years ago, I had to take a
lower level job and a paycut because the agencies wouldn't even look at my portfolio, just wanted to know about my clerical skills.

Every agency I went to told me that my resume was no good, and then rewrote it for me. Even though the "no good" resume was the resume that the previous agency had "perfected."

In addition to being sent on interviews for jobs that were beneath my level of skill and experience, there were the times that I showed up for an interview, only to find, at the interview, that I was completely unqualified for the job and would never have bothered to apply for the job if I'd known what it was.

The best was when, before I went to an interview, the person at the agency decided I was too pale, took some brownish blush (not my color) out of her handbag, and painted two dark stripes on my cheeks before I stepped out the door.

Well, I hope my experiences in the UK are better.

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 07:04:39 PM »
i have to say, when i stood up for myself with the agencies here.  told them i knew the 'game' they play, posting jobs on sites that are long gone just to get cvs to farm to jobs we wouldn't want....the respected me a lot more.

those i stood up to WORKED for me, hard, they were calling me all the time. I guess they saw i not only had a solid CV but stood behind it and was sharp.

And here i am, in an awesome job.  it can happen, just know their game!

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 10:09:30 PM »
Will agencies look at me even if I don't have a UK work permit yet?   I mean, its kinda tough when an agency wont look at me without one, yet if I already have one, that means I have a job already.  Also, can I go to London and apply at agencies???

• Unavailable for Comment.
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2004, 10:11:41 PM »
Will agencies look at me even if I don't have a UK work permit yet? I mean, its kinda tough when an agency wont look at me without one, yet if I already have one, that means I have a job already. Also, can I go to London and apply at agencies???

No. If you're not eligible to work in the UK then they'll tell you go come back when you are. It's against the law for them to look for you and against the law for you to look without any kind of visa set up.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2004, 10:24:03 PM »
so then the only way to get a job is just search online and hope an employer will hire me?   I'm beginning to think my dream of working in London may never happen.

Sponsored Links