Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Questions about forms to apply for, required income, and co-sponsor for Fiancee  (Read 1335 times)

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
  • Liked: 0

@Lady RebeccaJaneStClair
The reason I say that about the taxes is that my parents still claim me as a dependent, which, if I'm not mistaken, might prove problematic for them if they try that when I'm legally married. 

Also, there are other reasons that are a bit more... personal I suppose, which is why while I'm hoping to do it the fiancee way, I'll do the spousal way if necessary.

AFAIK, in order to continue to be claimed as a dependent, you need your primary residence to be with them for at least 6 months out of the year (dormitories do not count against this).  If you move to the UK (even on a fiancee visa) any earlier than June 2010, your parents will not be able to claim you as their dependent in 2010. If you are really concerned for your parent's taxes, I would recommend waiting to get married until you are past the age they can claim you (24 or graduated from college, I believe)
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

AFAIK, in order to continue to be claimed as a dependent, you need your primary residence to be with them for at least 6 months out of the year (dormitories do not count against this).  If you move to the UK (even on a fiancee visa) any earlier than June 2010, your parents will not be able to claim you as their dependent in 2010. If you are really concerned for your parent's taxes, I would recommend waiting to get married until you are past the age they can claim you (24 or graduated from college, I believe)

I'm still living with my parents (I commute to college).  As for being "concerned," my concern goes only as far as having things sorted before they think about the whole tax thing.  So, it really isn't a huge concern of mine, but it will likely be for them.

Also as a bit of an aside, I read somewhere that for her employment (when she gets some) to be applicable to be considered on the visa application, she has to work for 3 to 6 months before we apply for it.  Is this true?

• Liked: 4

Also as a bit of an aside, I read somewhere that for her employment (when she gets some) to be applicable to be considered on the visa application, she has to work for 3 to 6 months before we apply for it.  Is this true?

This isn't quite true, but she will need to show paystubs demonstrating her employment and the more she can show, the better. 

I'm still not clear on why you are so set on the fiance visa rather than the spousal, but to each his own.  It's just a lot of extra money and a whole extra visa hassle to go through.

• Britannicaine
  • Liked: 198
I'm still living with my parents (I commute to college).  As for being "concerned," my concern goes only as far as having things sorted before they think about the whole tax thing.  So, it really isn't a huge concern of mine, but it will likely be for them.

It's not true, as geeta said, but what really needs to be addressed is what you said in an earlier post about your parents giving you $600 a month.  This is third party support and us not allowed.  If you cannot prove that you are able to support yourselves without that help then your application is likely to be refused.
On s'envolera du même quai
Les yeux dans les mêmes reflets,
Pour cette vie et celle d'après
Tu seras mon unique projet.

Je t'aimais, je t'aime, et je t'aimerai.

--Francis Cabrel

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair

It is just a matter of them no longer listing that they have a dependent.  I;m not sure what the financial implications are of no longer having an adult dependent, but I imagine it wouldn't make a huge difference in the long scheme of things.  Nothing worth you worrying about, anyway.  But like I said, if you're moving before June 2010, you wouldn't be a dependent for 2010 anyway, and they'd have plenty of time to figure out their 2010 taxes.

There isn't a requirement AFAIK, but the application requires 3-6 months of payslips, which is why this might be causing some confusion.  If she has a job for less than three months, you might be okay with a letter from her employer confirming her employment and a copy of her contract (if applicable).

I'm still not clear on why you are so set on the fiance visa rather than the spousal, but to each his own.  It's just a lot of extra money and a whole extra visa hassle to go through.

Echoing what geeta said. If you do get a fiance visa first, you will have to turn around and pay the fee again in less than 6 months (after you get married) to convert it to a spousal visa.  If you're really concerned for your finances, this could be a real burden!

Thought - what about doing a semester abroad?
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

Well, the $600 is just sort of additional money.  It isn't really factored into anything, and after reading about the lodging and the third party support policies I figure it might be best to discontinue it entirely.  While I don't intend on relying on it for support (and never did), I don't even want to give that impression to those processing my application.  

I was thinking about letting her work at least a full month before applying, that way while we don't have to wait too long, she'll have sufficient proof of working.  Is that too short of a time span, do you think?

In addition to that, I'm still going to start working on my savings to show additional means of supporting myself while I'm over there, until I can get a spousal visa sorted out and I can try to find a job.

Also, does anyone know exactly what form names I'll need to think about filling out?  I've read a few places and found conflicting answers.

As for a semester abroad, that goes along with the same reasons that I'm considering the fiance visa most.  I suppose there's no getting around it, if I want to make sure I adequately convey my intentions so I can get help.  To say my parents are controlling would be quite the understatement.  Empty-nest syndrome wouldn't even begin to remotely describe it. 

Thank you all for your continued help!

Applying from the US means you do not fill out a paper form.  You apply online. VAF4 is a paper form that is only used by people who cannot complete an online application.

Oh okay.  Sorry about that, I just went back and read your post.  I'm a bit exhausted today, so forgive me if I overlook something. 

Thanks!

Does anyone recommend a good Visa Expediting service?  Are they about $175 like I've seen? 

Also, doesn't she need to submit the proof that we've met to her embassy or something as I'm applying online for the visa? 

Her embassy has nothing to do with it.  It's about proving your relationship to the consulate that processes your visa application.  You will want to demonstrate this in your application.

• Liked: 1
http://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=54897.0

Try this link for information and reviews on couriers/expeditors.

This may be a dumb question, but how would you demonstrate it on an online application?  Am I allowed to submit supplemental materials to them for evaluation (that's what I'm assuming)?

Also, thank you very much mirrajay, that thread is wonderful :).

Yup, once you've filled out the online application, and attended your biometrics appointment (fingerprints and photos taken at a US immigration center; you'll be prompted to schedule one at the end of your application), you'll be asked to submit all your supporting documentation to the consulate processing your visa. This is where the whole expediter issue comes into play, in terms of processing speed (i.e. it's usually much faster to use an expediter than to not).
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*

Yes, once your application is completed, you will print it and submit along with a host of other documents.  

Ah okay, thank you!

What are your suggestions for the supplemental materials?  So far I can only think of bank statements, MSN conversation logs, e-mails, receipts, pictures of us together, plane tickets, and photocopies of her passport stamp.

Those are all the questions that I have at the moment, but I'll post and update it when I think of more. 

If I don't happen to think of more (unlikely since I'm so clueless when it comes to this), I'll still post on it to update everyone of the entire application process in detail for me (if that's okay, perhaps someone will benefit from it).

Your best bet to prove that you have a legitimate, sustained relationship is things like photos of the two of you, phone records (even if it's just for text messages or whatever), and then things like MSN/Skype logs, etc. The bank statements will be used to prove finances anyway, but they won't be used to prove a relationship per se.
Met fiance (online): 2001
Started dating: 12/2005
Met fiance: 09/2006; 06/2007
UK Trip: 03/2008; 10/2008
Engaged: 11/2008
Married: 05/27/2009
Spousal visa app: 06/02/2009
Biometrics: 06/26/2009
Consulate received app: 07/01/2009
Approved: 07/02/2009
Moving Date: 09/04/2009

*I'm not any sort of immigration expert; I just play one on the telly*