Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Wimbledon  (Read 3128 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Wimbledon
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2005, 10:10:21 AM »
Murray has wisely left the doubles competition in order to let his ankle recover.  Hopefully he'll be in shape for the US Open

Murray did play the doubles and completed his match, unfortunately they lost.  He also played the Mixed doubles but also lost in the first round.  Of course, the doubles is a bit less strenous usually.  It'll be great to see how he does at the US Open.

I also heard that Murray had never played a 5-set match before.

Yes, that's right.  There are no junior events that have best of 5 set matches.  There are even Very Few professional tournaments that go 5 sets.  Only the Grand Slams and I think the final matches of the Masters Cup Events, perhaps.
The Men normally play best of 3 set matches in all other tournaments.

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2005, 10:11:11 PM »
Hope I'm not the only one who was very pleased to see Venus Williams win today.  People had pretty much written her off at 25.  It's good to see her back and she's always had such a good attitude towards her sport.  Would have been nice to see her face Davenport once again in the final, but it wasn't to be.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2005, 10:25:31 PM »
Why not? The Daveport-Mauresmo game isn't finished yet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4639201.stm

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2005, 10:28:39 PM »
Why not? The Daveport-Mauresmo game isn't finished yet

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4639201.stm

Just hope Davenport's thigh injury doesn't get her down.  She was soooo close!

Amelie looks quite tough.  DH said she looked like a man.

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2005, 10:44:38 PM »
Yeah my husband said that too. I told him he's just jealous  ;D

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2005, 12:28:10 AM »
Yeah my husband said that too. I told him he's just jealous  ;D

Mauresmo is definitely a bit on the mannish side! But she's still awesome! However, I have to root for Lindsay Davenport. I've always loved her and it'd be great to see her win before retiring. She sort of reminds me of an old-fashioned player -- she's not flashy or loud, just goes out and plays well. I couldn't believe the rains came again and stopped play!! She was on such a roll! I hope she can pick up tomorrow where she left off!
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2005, 08:02:32 AM »
The Venus match was awesome! Fantastic tennis. I was glad to see the Russian knocked out. She is fantastic but the screaming was irritating.. I admired her trick of switching hands with the racket..I used to do that but without the same success ::)

I would like to see Lindsey win - the old war horse returning for one more battle.. How frustrating for her when she was just a few points away from winning??? Fingers crossed she'll conquer today.
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2005, 10:03:38 PM »
Wow!  What a brilliant match.  I think a lot of people were stunned when Venus pulled through.  She never gave up.  She kept fighting.  Davenport was an incredible opponent.  It was marvelous to see them both back and playing so well.  Longest women's final match in Wimbledon history - 2 hours, 45 minutes. 

• Snaps
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2005, 09:59:37 AM »
Wow!  What a brilliant match.  I think a lot of people were stunned when Venus pulled through.  She never gave up.  She kept fighting.  Davenport was an incredible opponent.  It was marvelous to see them both back and playing so well.  Longest women's final match in Wimbledon history - 2 hours, 45 minutes. 

I'm so bummed that I missed it! :(

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2005, 10:10:23 AM »
I'm so bummed that I missed it! :(

it was thrilling, edge of your seat sort of tennis.  honestly, it was hard to say who would win it up till the moment it happened.  they both pulled out all the stops and really went for it.  each had immense desire to win, both were very gracious sportswomen.  lindsay is such a classy act.  venus was jumping up and down.  hell, i would have, too, had i pulled something like that off.

it was more exciting than the men's final, although it was funny when andy roddick said, 'i can't beat him.  i guess i'll just have to punch him.'

• Snaps
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2005, 10:18:37 AM »
it was more exciting than the men's final, although it was funny when andy roddick said, 'i can't beat him.  i guess i'll just have to punch him.'

I didn't hear that! I missed the men's final, too. First time I've not watched the finals in years! :(  Roddick is a funny guy; I like him.

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2005, 10:19:51 AM »
I was rooting for Roddick - he is so funny. I like that commercial he's in - is it American Express? Very cute.
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2005, 10:29:20 AM »
It's an interesting year at Wimbledon when the Women's final (2 out of 3) goes an hour longer than the Men's final (3 out of 5).  ::)

Personally, I was very happy to see Mary Pierce (& partner!) win in the Mixed Doubles final.     ;D
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Liked: 0
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2005, 12:06:47 PM »
Roddick is such a card.  He said that Federer was passing him even when he was at the Baseline!  :D  That's a pretty funny tennis joke.
When he won the Stella Artois tournament at Queen's Club he said he was playing to win it so that he could talk to Sue Barker afterwards and that he had a crush on her.  That got the crowd laughing.

Personally, I was very happy to see Mary Pierce (& partner!) win in the Mixed Doubles final
That was Mahesh Buphati.  He was playing awesome.  It was great to see Pierce do it as she's 30 years old now!
Still, she might have another 18 years left in the tank if she can play as long as Martina  :o

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2005, 01:37:43 PM »
Roddick is such a card.  He said that Federer was passing him even when he was at the Baseline!  :D  That's a pretty funny tennis joke.
When he won the Stella Artois tournament at Queen's Club he said he was playing to win it so that he could talk to Sue Barker afterwards and that he had a crush on her.  That got the crowd laughing.

He got the crowd laughing this time when one of his first comments after the final was 'I'm in the mood for beer.' 

Sponsored Links