Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Real Quick Biometric Question  (Read 621 times)

• Me and My Baby!
  • Liked: 0
Real Quick Biometric Question
« on: June 07, 2008, 02:20:16 PM »
I have an appointment to do my Biometrics scheduled but it did not mention if my minor daughter also needed to be with me to have hers done.  We are applying for a spousal visa and she has her own passport.  Does anyone know if I need to drag her along with me or not?  Thanks in advance for any information .. much appreciated.

Eva Marie

Re: Real Quick Biometric Question
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 02:22:21 PM »
She needs her own visa, so you'll have to apply for a dependent visa for her (I believe the cost is the same as a spousal visa.)  If she's over 5 years old, she'll need biometrics done and you'll be able to make an appointment once you submit the application for her visa.

(I'm assuming that she's not a British citizen, but from what I can remember of your posts I don't think she is?)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 02:25:16 PM by springhaze »
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Me and My Baby!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 02:25:34 PM »
ACK!!! I do?  OMG nobody has mentioned this to me .. we had assumed she would be attached to my visa as she has been in the past.  Can you  tell me where I get more information and which application I need to fill out for her.  We are currently in the UK and I married here but we are returning to the US to do the spousal application within the rules.  Oh boy .. I need to get on this and get it done :) thanks for telling me .. I had no idea

Eva

• Banned

• Liked: 4
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 02:29:51 PM »
How has she been 'attached to your visa' in the past?

Vicky

• Me and My Baby!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 02:32:48 PM »
We came in on a visitor passport and then our stay was extended for 6 months so we could apply for a coa and marry.  On the extension she was included in that visa application.  Im not sure if that answered your question or not Vicky .. if not let me know and ty so much for the help.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 02:35:30 PM »
You fill out the the online application, there should be an option for a dependent of a spouse.  There should be info on the supporting documents needed on http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk or just search on this website as it's not an uncommon situation.  I'm almost positive you can submit her docs and your docs together in the same package as well.

The system works differently depending on whether you apply inside or outside of the UK- for an application within the UK you can include dependants on an application and pay only one fee, but if you're applying from the US you have to fill out separate application and fees.  I've no idea why it is that way, but it is.
Now a triple citizen!

Student visa 9/06-->Int'l Grad Scheme 1/08-->FLR(M) 7/08-->ILR 6/10-->British citizenship 12/12

• Me and My Baby!
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 02:45:43 PM »
The online application did ask for my dependent information when I filled it out and asked if she would be traveling with me.  I had assumed that I needed to send along her passport etc with the application packet.  I wasnt directed to fill anything additional out during the process but sounds like I may have just completely overlooked it somehow.  I will start searching for more information now ... do you know which form needs to be filled out for her?  Thanks

• Me and My Baby!
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2008, 09:20:06 PM »
Okay, I am officially about to freak out because I can not find any information anywhere regarding if my daughter does need to have a visa application filled out separate from my spousal visa application or not.  I have searched this site, worldbridge, ukforyou and any place else I can think to look and have found nothing regarding this.  She is not my british husbands child and I do have sole custody of her .. I also do not recall being directed to do another application for her when I filled out the spousal visa application.  We will be leaving the UK in a week for the US to complete the application process and I need to know for certain if I do need to fill out an additional visa application for her ... so please if anyone can direct me to where I can find out or knows the answer for sure .. let me know .. it would be very very much appreciated.  Thanks

Eva

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 09:29:24 PM »
Your daughter must obtain permission to enter the United Kingdom (entry clearance) before travelling here to settle. To obtain entry clearance, you must complete the following steps (the same steps you're taking to obtain your own entry clearance):

+ Complete the online application form.  A paper version of this form (Application form VAF4 - Settlement, in .pdf form - for reference only) is available here.  Guidance notes (Settlement form guidance notes, in .pdf form) are available here. There are myriad threads on this topic on the Visas & Citizenship forum.

+ Pay the required fee (currently £515 - fee table here).

+ Make an appointment to complete the biometrics requirement.  Biometric fingerscans are collected at one of 129 Application Support Centres throughout the United States.  You will be able to book an appointment to have your fingerscan once you have completed your online application. More on biometrics here.  The UKY Advocacy Team has also put together an advisory on the biometrics process - you can find the advisory here.

+ Collect the required supporting documentation.  There are myriad threads on this topic on the Visas & Citizenship forum as well.  You may wish to include a monthly budget with your application - you can find sample budget templates here.   

+ Send a printed copy of your application, biometrics, and all supporting documents to the consulate responsible for applications from your state - New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles.  You can find out which consulate will process your application here.  You may send your documents by post, or by courier.  For recommendations, warnings, and general first-hand experience with both methods, read through the threads on the Visas & Citizenship forum - especially the Share your visa stories here! thread.

Once your child's visa has been approved and you have received your child's passport and supporting documents from the consulate, your child may travel to the UK immediately.  Your child will normally be allowed to stay in the United Kingdom permanently from the date he/she arrives if:

* both you and the child's other parent are settled here; or
    * both you and the child's other parent have permission to settle here permanently and you are entering the country together with the child; or
    * you have permission to settle here permanently and you are entering the country together with the child, and the other parent is already settled here; or
    * you have sole responsibility for the child.

Frequently Asked Questions

As springhaze mentioned, if your daughter is under five then I believe she can skip the biometrics step, but the rest of the process still applies.   

Hope this helps!

• Me and My Baby!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 10:47:50 PM »
Ohhhhh Boy!! I better get busy then!

Thanks for all the information Meg, Springhaze and VictoriaS.

Do you know if our applications can be sent together so they are considered together or do I have to send them separate.  She is 13 years old so will need to do the biometrics :) OMG ... how did I miss this?  *Hurrys frantically to the online application site*

Thanks again you guys for the info .. would have sucked to get back to the states and find out .. I had not applied for my daughter to return with us!

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 11:02:47 PM »
You can send both apps together and include supporting evidence for both in the same package. :)

• Me and My Baby!
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 11:05:53 PM »
Oh Meg ... TY!! I could just hug you sooooo tight right now for giving me that answer :) thanks again Meg!

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 11:17:22 PM »
Hey, no problem - glad I could help!  Good luck with everything! :)

Sponsored Links