Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How long did it take for you to find a job in the UK? (London advice especially)  (Read 1480 times)

• Liked: 0
Since I'm a newbie, not sure if this topic has been covered ad nauseum, but one of the factors which would influence the possibility of me moving to the UK (as opposed to my boyfriend moving here) is how easy it is to find a job?  I currently have a decent job with a major news network (and given I live in Atlanta, I'm sure you can guess which one  ;-)) but it's a bit boring at this point after nearly 5 years and I see this as an opportunity to move on to bigger, better things - but I'm not opposed to working for a bit less to try something new. 

Just wanted to know how long, on average, it took everyone to find a job once they moved to the UK - especially in or near London since that is where we would reside should we move there...

Thanks a bundle!

PS:  I would be coming over on a Fiance visa so the job hunt would start AFTER I was established in the UK once we were married and I had a work permit. 

• Liked: 1
it took me a month and a half of solid searching.  meeting with agencies all the time (3-4 a week) and then going on a few interviews.

I wasn't a good fit for one.  (of course the one i was obsessed with) and had 2 offers int he same week.  (my current company 'stole' me away from the other i was going to join).

I'm lucky though as i work in financial marketing and there are a lot of opprotunities here for that kind of role.  My CV was solid and still some companies didn't even look at me as i had no UK experience.  I used to hate that i would get the 'they really like your CV, BUT....'

And I work and live in central london

• Liked: 8
I'm not in London (Newcastle upon Tyne), but I'll answer anyway.   ;D

It really depends on what type of work you want to do.  I wanted to start small and was looking for something part time in administration or education.  I found my first job very easily -- it was the first one I applied for and I got it.  I didn't start looking until I'd been here nearly 1.5 years, though.

For my current job, which is more related to my professional training, it took FOREVER.  I started seriously filling out applications in October.  I had two interviews (didn't get either and that was the first time that'd ever happened to me, so I started to seriously doubt myself  :() in November and January.  I applied for my present position late February and was called for an interview in late March.  I got it (YAY!) and have been doing it part-time whilst working out my notice from my other job.  Today's my second official day, but I've already been here a month.   :)

So, if  you want a doddle of a job, you'll probably not have to wait long.  If you want something professional, be prepared to slog it out -- the job market is very competitive here.

Thanks for the info!

Is temping during the interum period before finding a job plausible?  Meaning, is that a bit easier to find and a way to make some money while still looking for a permanent position?

It took me almost two months to find a job I liked. I'm working full time in an office and part time in a pub now. Before I found the office job, I worked as a substitute 'cafeteria lady.' I hated it, but it kept me going until I found the jobs I have now.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

Is it at all possible to transfer here with your current employer?

jc

What specifically are you looking for?

I also temped for about 3 months until I found a FAB job... and I started working about ten days after I first arrived.
One of the first things I did (actually, I did it before I even left CA) was contact employment agencies and send my cv.  I worked in about 4 different places, all various industries, before I got to this one (legal).

Now for me, I was just looking for a well paying admin. assistant type job, as my 'career' aspirations lie elsewhere.  I now consider myself not only lucky, but blessed, that I am where I am now.  Central London, gorgeous offices, friendly, upbeat people (who do not insist I go drinking with them!), and the kindest, truest English gentleman anyone could want to work for.  Oh yes, not to mention the 28 days holiday.  ;D

So if you're looking for something generally administrative, I think the jobs are a'plenty... but you have to go out and get them!
Hollywood, CA -> London, UK 2004
London, UK -> Long Beach, CA 2007

Best 3 1/2 years of my life!

Is it at all possible to transfer here with your current employer?

jc

Possible, I think.  They have a few offshoots of our parent company there.  And I would certainly check into this possibility as the time drew nearer to me moving there.  But without the work visa before we get married, I'm not sure if I could apply early or not.

Aimiloo...you said that there were a lot of jobs in the financial field like you're in.....do you or anyone else know what the prospects are in the Project Management/Coordination field?  I've utilized these skills in 3 different jobs over 10 years - and the skillset is pretty versitile from what I've seen when I've changed companies.  Just wondering if this is a field which is recognized in London or if it's referred to as something else?

Thanks!

Now for me, I was just looking for a well paying admin. assistant type job, as my 'career' aspirations lie elsewhere.  I now consider myself not only lucky, but blessed, that I am where I am now.  Central London, gorgeous offices, friendly, upbeat people (who do not insist I go drinking with them!), and the kindest, truest English gentleman anyone could want to work for.  Oh yes, not to mention the 28 days holiday.  ;D

So if you're looking for something generally administrative, I think the jobs are a'plenty... but you have to go out and get them!

Yup...that's what I would be looking for...just something admin related.  See my post above for my specific skillset.  Project Coordination/Management gives me experience which I think is pretty versitile with a corporate "lower-middle" range job.  And yeah, I figured I'd have to really hustle when I got there which doesn't scare me (believe me, just like Amiloo said in another post, I would be chomping at the BIT to make my own money as soon as I possibly could.  I have too much of a shopping habit to support not to have a bit of extra moolah  ;-)).

Thanks for the info on the temping - I figured that's the route I would most likely take should I move there - just to get some income before I find a permanent job....

yeah, project management is recognized here.  it's more in things like IT etc, but project management is a big part of what i do on a day to day basis.

and elizabeth is right, the way to go is to get here and temp while finding the job you like!  plus that way you ARE getting into the UK work force, and they like that when trying to find that right full time job.

A

Cool... well, I'd say, get online and start doing your homework... and find the thread on here (sorry, posting this before I looked) where a lot of us put the specifics about what agencies we signed with and whom we did/did not like, etc.
When I was in LA, I went on Jobsearch UK - I believe was the name.. to start with (sorry, I deleted the folder from my email).  But google employment agencies, and, when the time gets closer, I'd even buy a London paper and have a go through, just to see.  Also note, which I didn't when back in LA, different industries pay very different salaries... I made nearly nuthin' working in an estate agent's, and I made a LOT working for a financial company.  Seems obvious, but not having worked in the 9-5 world for 6 years, it was an eye opener for me.  Now working in legal, and working in Central London (you get more for that as well, another eye opener'), I'm a bit above middle of the road I think.
This all sounds really premature probably, but just keep notes so you can go back when you need them.

and elizabeth is right... 

Music to my ears...   ;)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2005, 05:23:14 PM by Kuyperama »

Cool... well, I'd say, get online and start doing your homework... and find the thread on here (sorry, posting this before I looked) where a lot of us put the specifics about what agencies we signed with and whom we did/did not like, etc.
When I was in LA, I went on Jobsearch UK - I believe was the name.. to start with (sorry, I deleted the folder from my email).  But google employment agencies, and, when the time gets closer, I'd even buy a London paper and have a go through, just to see.  Also note, which I didn't when back in LA, different industries pay very different salaries... I made nearly nuthin' working in an estate agent's, and I made a LOT working for a financial company.  Seems obvious, but not having worked in the 9-5 world for 6 years, it was an eye opener for me.  Now working in legal, and working in Central London (you get more for that as well, another eye opener'), I'm a bit above middle of the road I think.
This all sounds really premature probably, but just keep notes so you can go back when you need them.

Music to my ears...   ;)

So it sounds like (and I could be wrong), based on what you write about the different jobs you've had - you've used the same skillset in different industries (estate agent, legal, financial).  So is it just particular office skills they're looking for rather than knowledge of a specific industrial field?

(sorry for all the questions - but am just becoming VERY interested in the possibility of moving to London and have thus become a packrat for info at this point.  :-)  My boyfriend is pleased but puzzled considering how against the thought of moving to the UK I'd been a couple months back...  ;-))

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
Temping is a great way to get your foot into the door here, I found.  I temped for six weeks before getting my first permanent job here, and I have the same "skillset" as you mentioned.  I did some general administration at first and worked my way up in the company I'm currently with.  I think employers like to see that you've got some UK work experience before hiring you permanently.  Temping is widely accepted as the first step to getting a permanent job here in the UK. 

Best of luck to you whatever you decide to do!  :)

Kuyperama
Perhaps you might be of help to me as well.
I am looking to move over to the UK. I am very willing to start in any entry-level administrative position. Anything to get over there but I don't know how to go about this. I understand I need a work permit to work over there but agencies are requiring I have this prior to interviewing and I can't one unless I actually HAVE the job, right?

I am American. I realize the job market is competitive over there. I have 8 years of experience in advertising/marketing/executive assistant work but understant that Patriots might not get favorable job offers as we're not as familiar with the British market.

I've applied online with several job agencies but most require that I check the box - "are you authorized to work in the UK?"  Of course I'm not yet, I don't have a job.

Is it feasible to think that I could go over and look for a job while over there on my passport? Your help is appreiciated.

I pm'd you back, but really; keep your questions public, and keep reading the threads.  There's LOADS of info around here, and lots of friendly people to answer. :)
Bottom line:  you need a visa, and you cannot 'look for a job' if you are only here on a passport.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab