Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: FAQ tip for girlfriends/boyfriends pond-hopping this summer  (Read 9336 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: FAQ tip for girlfriends/boyfriends pond-hopping this summer
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2006, 07:43:08 PM »
All right, it's that time again. I've learned not to worry too much and to pack accordingly. I have been to the uk 4 times in the past year and a half (dec 26th-jan 7th/ april 29th- may 8th/ july7th-july 25th/ dec 23rd- jan 15) the longest being 3 1/2 weeks. I am about to make my 5th trip but this time it will be for 6 weeks. I change planes in london this time. I'm hoping i don't have any trouble so that i make my connecting flight. Anyways, I'm debating 2 things...1. from what i read earlier in this thread- sounds like a bad idea to take my laptop with me- i would love to since it's new and could occupy a lot of my alone time -but, not wanting them to say i would use it to work or something, i just assume not have the added trouble. any opinions one way or the other?
2. in the past when the IO asked -do you have plans to get married- i'd laugh and say no, that would be a long way off- and then they'd move on. I know the only way to deal with immigration is to not lie. We do now have plans to get married. If i say yes, will they go on with a lot more questioning thinking i might marry there without a visa and stay illegally? I can take a paper showing the reservation for the wedding site that has the date on it. I just hate not knowing what they may ask or say, when it seems easier to just say no, no plans as of yet. I am going for six weeks, i will be returning at that time, and i will not be working during my visit. Also, any opinions on how much cash i should have on me for a six weeks stay?    Thanks 

« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2006, 08:00:04 PM »
All right, it's that time again. I've learned not to worry too much and to pack accordingly. I have been to the uk 4 times in the past year and a half (dec 26th-jan 7th/ april 29th- may 8th/ july7th-july 25th/ dec 23rd- jan 15) the longest being 3 1/2 weeks. I am about to make my 5th trip but this time it will be for 6 weeks. I change planes in london this time. I'm hoping i don't have any trouble so that i make my connecting flight. Anyways, I'm debating 2 things...1. from what i read earlier in this thread- sounds like a bad idea to take my laptop with me- i would love to since it's new and could occupy a lot of my alone time -but, not wanting them to say i would use it to work or something, i just assume not have the added trouble. any opinions one way or the other?
2. in the past when the IO asked -do you have plans to get married- i'd laugh and say no, that would be a long way off- and then they'd move on. I know the only way to deal with immigration is to not lie. We do now have plans to get married. If i say yes, will they go on with a lot more questioning thinking i might marry there without a visa and stay illegally? I can take a paper showing the reservation for the wedding site that has the date on it. I just hate not knowing what they may ask or say, when it seems easier to just say no, no plans as of yet. I am going for six weeks, i will be returning at that time, and i will not be working during my visit. Also, any opinions on how much cash i should have on me for a six weeks stay?    Thanks 

I always took my laptop between the UK and US, with no problems at all! Get a power adaptor at Radio shack, you'll be fine! Taking your laptop is not a bad idea. I've done it for years. I was never asked if we planned on getting married. I don't think they will to be honest.

« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2006, 08:06:45 PM »
I used to travel between the UK and US a lot. Usually I'd stay for months at a time, go home, then go back for months a few weeks later. It took them 3 years to finally tell me to stop. This is when I decided I couldn't be arsed with the constant pond hopping and got married. Sometimes immigration would be a bit assy, but they always let me through. The guy who warned me about deportation was actually really nice about it. Maybe he understood? I dunno.

« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2006, 11:12:56 PM »
I went through exactly what you are going through, since February of 2005 I have been to the UK 8 times, and trust me, when I came over this last time, which is for 2 months, I was freaking out. I brought paperwork from my bank, my acceptance letter from grad school here (I am going back to the States in August to get my student visa and then returning in September) and it was the easiest time through customs yet. She asked how long I was here for, I told her, she asked what I was doing, I said visiting friends and traveling and she said have a good trip. I really think the more you walk up to them like a deer in headlights the more problems you will have!

« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2006, 11:12:18 PM »
 I was never asked if we planned on getting married. I don't think they will to be honest.
Well, they asked me the last 3 times. First they ask why you're there, and you have to say- to visit my boyfriend (if it applies). As soon as you say boyfriend, that sparks more questioning. Then they say do you plan to get married? I'm just saying if i say no, that wouldn't be truthful, but if i say yes, what questioning will that prompt and would they think i might stay? I'm still not sure which way to go. Maybe i should say yes and take proof of the non refundable reservation on the wedding location. who knows? anyways, i know that these questions can't really be answered since it depends on the IO you get, the way they think or what mood they are in.

Sponsored Links