Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hot dog options?  (Read 6767 times)

• Liked: 56
Hot dog options?
« on: May 27, 2017, 12:23:14 PM »
The sun is shining, its Memorial Day weekend (more or less!) and the new grill just arrived. We are doing burgers with friends tomorrow but I would kill for a grill hot dog today.

Unfortunately I forgot to stop at the German Deli near work to pick up some proper grillable franks, so what are my options? We have a Waitrose near us - are there any decent supermarket available items similar to Oscar Meyer or Nathans? All I can recall seeing are those weird things in a can. A CAN. ew.

Do I have to settle for British sausages?

• Liked: 210
Re: Hot dog options?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 12:28:14 PM »
The sun is shining, its Memorial Day weekend (more or less!) and the new grill just arrived. We are doing burgers with friends tomorrow but I would kill for a grill hot dog today.

Unfortunately I forgot to stop at the German Deli near work to pick up some proper grillable franks, so what are my options? We have a Waitrose near us - are there any decent supermarket available items similar to Oscar Meyer or Nathans? All I can recall seeing are those weird things in a can. A CAN. ew.

Do I have to settle for British sausages?

British sausages are not even close to a hot dog. :-O

There are some pork hot dogs in a jar (wondering if that's what you mean by can) at Tesco. They are pork, not beef. But they were respectable if your heart isn't set on beef hot dogs (I prefer beef).
Online application submitted April 5, 2017
Biometrics & shipping to UK April 17, 2017
Email confirmation from Sheffield April 24, 2017
Submitted ToR May 12, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 01:33:01 PM »
Herta are not too bad at all   :). https://www.herta.co.uk/our-hot-dogs/

I've tried the classics and liked them (I wasn't keen on the chicken.) I see they make jumbos too which would be better for the grill I imagine, as the originals are skinny little guys. 

A general warning, stay well clear of anything in a jar or can...

Enjoy your afternoon!  :)

• Liked: 585
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 03:21:16 PM »
Bertine, Waitrose do some really nice hot dogs.
They're in a pack of 4, and they're called Bavarian Frankfurters.  I can't remember a brand name or anything, but they're in transparent packaging, with a rather plain-ish label.   Sorry for my crap description, but I hope you find them.  I think they're great, and quite often take them cold, for my work lunch, in Waitrose brioche hot dog rolls.

• Liked: 111
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 03:50:05 PM »
Bertine, Waitrose do some really nice hot dogs.
They're in a pack of 4, and they're called Bavarian Frankfurters.  I can't remember a brand name or anything, but they're in transparent packaging, with a rather plain-ish label.   Sorry for my crap description, but I hope you find them.  I think they're great, and quite often take them cold, for my work lunch, in Waitrose brioche hot dog rolls.

The last time I was in England, we had a cookout and those frankfurters from Waitrose were indeed very tasty. They're not cheap, something like £3.50 for 4. I just looked online and they're called, "Unearthed Alfresco Bavarian Frankfurters". But, Herta Franks are pretty good too and those are available at most grocery stores. Happy grilling!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Liked: 585
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 04:54:39 PM »
Thanks Lorena... that sounds like the exact frankfurters I was talking about.  I always ate the Herta ones until I discovered the 'Unearthed', and they're now my favourites.

If anyone finds themselves hungry in Ikea, their hot dogs are pretty good too.  But I echo everyone else who has said to avoid the tinned or jarred ones.  URGH!!!

• Liked: 134
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 08:41:30 PM »
Not so helpful for tomorrow but perhaps for 4th of July or something, Ocado (which is the online Waitrose) sell Gilbert's Kosher Beef Hot Dogs, 3.50 for a pack of 10 and they are delicious.  I have decently good luck when shopping for American food with them, it's one of the reasons we do!
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 4
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 11:52:57 PM »
I don't know where you can buy something to grill up yourself that approaches a real hot dog, but I've gotta say that TGIF Friday hotdog is very good. Deliveroo and I are on a first name relationship :)

Cheers,

Jeb

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 09:22:10 AM »
Good suggestions have already been given...Just wanted to say even just the idea of it coming out of a jar/can makes me nauseous... It's just wrong!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 85
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 09:55:54 AM »
We got US hot dogs from Costco, they sell the Kirkland Signature All Beef 1/4lbs + Dinner Franks that they serve in all the Costco stores in US.  The Costco stores are not open to general public in UK but if you have membership from Costco US it is valid in UK as well.  To join the UK one you have to be associated with certain professions or employer.

They sell a lot of US products and foods its my go to store for goodies from home. We have to travel 1 1/2 hours to our nearest store so we only go every other month to stock up.
Online Application Spouse Visa - 27 Jan 2015
Visa Received - 16 Feb 2015
FLR(M) In-Person  (Approved)- 4 Jan 2018
ILR (M) Approval - 23 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) - 28 Oct 2020
AN (Naturalisation) APPROVED!!!!! - 10 Feb 2021
Citizenship ceremony - 10 June 2021

• Liked: 57
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 04:01:17 PM »
We got US hot dogs from Costco, they sell the Kirkland Signature All Beef 1/4lbs + Dinner Franks that they serve in all the Costco stores in US.  The Costco stores are not open to general public in UK but if you have membership from Costco US it is valid in UK as well.  To join the UK one you have to be associated with certain professions or employer.

They sell a lot of US products and foods its my go to store for goodies from home. We have to travel 1 1/2 hours to our nearest store so we only go every other month to stock up.

Costco also sells kosher hot dogs too.
Met at Disneyland Paris: spring 1995
Dated long distance: off & on 2008-2014
Our twin boys were born: Sep 2009
Engaged: Oct 10 2014
Married: December 5 2014
Online Application & paid PRIORITY Submitted: Dec 22 2014
Visa Received: Jan 14 2015
Arrived in the UK: Feb 28 2015
FLR(M) application mailed: Sep 12 2017
FLR(M) approved: Oct 27
SET(M) application submitted: Feb 4 2020 (super priority)
SET(M) appointment: Mar 9
SET(M) approved: Mar 10
Naturalisation app submitted: Jun 19
No biometrics needed email: July 23

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2017, 02:29:37 PM »
Checking back in on this - thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

We grilled steak and chicken last night but now Other Half was looking longingly at the grill at noon today and I told him he could always do hot dogs. I will send him to Waitrose with the suggestions and put those others on the Ocado order for next week.

Unfortunately we just moved away from the costco near Wembly, but if we are ever up there next fall for the Ikea I will make sure to pick up some of their hot dogs for home.

I will note that I really enjoy the Heck sausage brand, if anyone is looking for a good tasty chicken sausage low in fat.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2017, 07:00:16 PM »
Checking back in on this - thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

We grilled steak and chicken last night but now Other Half was looking longingly at the grill at noon today and I told him he could always do hot dogs. I will send him to Waitrose with the suggestions and put those others on the Ocado order for next week.

Unfortunately we just moved away from the costco near Wembly, but if we are ever up there next fall for the Ikea I will make sure to pick up some of their hot dogs for home.

I will note that I really enjoy the Heck sausage brand, if anyone is looking for a good tasty chicken sausage low in fat.

I absolutely LOVE heck sausages!! Especially the Italian chicken ones!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2017, 09:27:59 PM »
Critical Hot Dog Update:

OH went to Waitrose to get milk and booze and I told him to get weenies and buns too. Forgot to show him this thread, just told him NO CANNED WEENIES. He totally came through with both the suggested Herta brand AND the brioche buns. ALL ON HIS OWN!

They were so good on the grill, we ate all 4 and really hit the spot with some ketchup and mustard. I have just put the packet of 10 in my Ocado cart so we are ready for the 4th of July and I never ever have a hot dog crisis again. Thanks everyone!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2017, 09:57:28 PM »
Critical Hot Dog Update:

OH went to Waitrose to get milk and booze and I told him to get weenies and buns too. Forgot to show him this thread, just told him NO CANNED WEENIES. He totally came through with both the suggested Herta brand AND the brioche buns. ALL ON HIS OWN!

They were so good on the grill, we ate all 4 and really hit the spot with some ketchup and mustard. I have just put the packet of 10 in my Ocado cart so we are ready for the 4th of July and I never ever have a hot dog crisis again. Thanks everyone!

He's a keeper!  ;D Glad you liked them. :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab