Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone on Weight Watchers  (Read 5470 times)

• Liked: 3
Re: Anyone on Weight Watchers
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2010, 10:30:34 PM »
You'll find that many WW options, particularly the desserts, are actually more points than their non-WW equivalent.

I really like the lo-GI diet because I can eat things like new potatoes and wholewheat pastas. I start to get a little mental about counting the points, so it's easier for me to just make a healthy lifestyle change.

Edited to make more sense!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:26:16 AM by Bmore_2_UK »

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 11:05:05 PM »
You'll find that many WW alternatives, particularly the desserts, are actually more points than their non-WW equivalent.

I really like the lo-GI diet because I can eat things like new potatoes and wholewheat pastas. I start to get a little mental about counting the points, so it's easier for me to just make a healthy lifestyle change.

If only I liked whole wheat pasta. :P
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2010, 11:35:02 PM »

Dh & I have been on the LO GI diet for over a year now an we really like it we don't consider it a diet but a healthier way of eating. since being on the LO GI diet, my exercise routine, & taking my meds with every meal I have lost nearly 80lbs in just over a year. ;D  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2010, 11:56:17 PM »

I used to hate anything whole wheat but if you force yourself for a bit then it becomes natural, like I love brown rice more than white now and the soda thing. I loved regular coke more than air, but now I can't stand any sort of full fat sugar, they taste disgusting and I'd never thought I'd say that.

I found the best way was to not substitute brown for white but start thinking about meals in a different way,  I was used to structuring my meals - meat/starch/veg but once I got out of my head that I needed polenta/cous cous/chips/rice/bread in order for it to "feel" like a meal, it became much easier.

Like I make saag paneer or aloo gobi to have with curry rather than rice. It took me ages to realise I didn't need the rice i could have something else delicious instead.

Lo-GI/Low Carb is pretty much the only thing that ever worked for me when I wanted to lose weight

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2010, 01:10:09 AM »
I think the reasons WW works are:

1)They follow a modified food exchange/diabetic diet.  In the olden days it was closer to the exchange than it is now, and I think the Core program is basically an exchange diet.  But even the points are founded on that. For people who need structure, this is a way to give them portion control.  Since the exchanges are based (somewhat) around macro-nutrients and macro-nutrients have specific calorie counts, it is an easier way to control calories.  And provided you don't go too deficient in calories or skimp on protein, you can steadily lose weight provided you stick to it or there aren't underlying health issues.

2)The support system and advice.  Giving people support, accountability, and strategies for dealing with dieting issues.

3)Because their weigh-ins are considered data for things like the National Weight Control Registry.  Not all weight loss programs have this advantage.  In fact, at one time WW was the *only* weight loss system that was provided outside of clinical settings that had this advantage.  I don't know if they've opened it up a bit, but this clearly may make WW appear to have benefits that other diets (WOE, whatever) don't.  I am not saying that WW is not successful at helping people not only meet their goals, but maintain loss, but only considering WW weigh-ins as credible data (and when it comes down to it, it's a business with every reason to fudge the numbers as any other business), you make them appear to be more successful than their competitors, even if their success rate isn't any higher (or is even lower) in reality.

One of the first diets, and definitely the first formal diet, I was on was WW.  I remember we had a sort of deal a meal thing.  I was too young to be on it formally.  I was just following it along with my mom.  She lost a tonne of weight, and I lost two pounds over the course of two weeks.  She was totally convinced I was cheating and took me off it.  I didn't cheat at all, but I gladly gave up.  I was hungry all the friggen time, but it gave me one of my favourite snacks: cheesy toast.  One of the breakfasts was 1 slice of diet bread with a slice of cheese melted on it.  That was the only joy during that miserable two weeks.  I remember eating dry canned tuna. Gack.

My sister loves WW and is fairly successful on it.  Just like any other diet, if she goes back to eating the way she ate to make her fat, she gets fat.  The secret is making sure people don't go back to their old ways, no matter the diet.

ETA: I don't know if I've ever posted these here but:
http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards.html

The one I was on was from the late 1980s, but the 1970s ones always make good viewing.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 01:17:23 AM by Legs Akimbo »

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 09:28:34 AM »

Some are better than others. If you don't like one brand, try another before you write it off completely.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2010, 09:48:29 AM »
Ha, I make some compromises.  when it comes to bread, we make our own, so it's whole grain or brown bread all the time, and brown rice for sure.  But for pasta, since we don't have it that often, I throw caution to the wind and eat the regular stuff.

That said, I've had good whole wheat pastas, and if I was eating more pasta, I'd probably convert 100%. 

I'm interested to see how my first WI goes with this new plan.    I feel like I haven't changed anything too drastically, but I have been avoiding most of the junky carbs due to points. 

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2010, 12:11:15 PM »
Some are better than others. If you don't like one brand, try another before you write it off completely.

Maybe. I've had quite a few over the years.

I dunno. I'd rather have less pasta in general so I can have the 'real' stuff when I do. Plus, how is it that the so-called Mediterranean diet (what real Italians eat) has white pasta in it, yet they are so healthy?

*Mutter mutter mutter!*
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2010, 12:58:22 PM »
Plus, how is it that the so-called Mediterranean diet (what real Italians eat) has white pasta in it, yet they are so healthy?

*Mutter mutter mutter!*

Portion size.
When you have a proper italian meal in Italy your primi is about 40grams

« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2010, 04:11:25 PM »
My Spanish friends obviously eat the 'Mediterranean Diet' and they don't eat nearly as many carbs in general. They also eat a ton of fish and zero butter. And like CB said, it's a misnomer to think Italians eat a ton of pasta. The pasta course in their meal is really quite small. You're right though, they eat really rich pasta when they have it, but they eat about enough to fit on a dessert plate!

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2010, 04:21:39 PM »
Portion size.
When you have a proper italian meal in Italy your primi is about 40grams

Yes, I do actually know this.

My Spanish friends obviously eat the 'Mediterranean Diet' and they don't eat nearly as many carbs in general. They also eat a ton of fish and zero butter. And like CB said, it's a misnomer to think Italians eat a ton of pasta. The pasta course in their meal is really quite small. You're right though, they eat really rich pasta when they have it, but they eat about enough to fit on a dessert plate!

My Roman friend DOES eat a lot of pasta. Loads of it. But then again, he's a skinny guy with awesome metabolism.

My grandparents' siblings ate tons of butter but were farmers so worked it all off during the day.

I guess my point is, you have to find the balance that works for you. Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly the poster child for any kind of healthy eating!! As you know - you've met me!! ;D

I just get frustrated by all the 'rules'. Eating used to be so much simpler.

« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2010, 04:29:01 PM »

My Roman friend DOES eat a lot of pasta. Loads of it. But then again, he's a skinny guy with awesome metabolism.

My grandparents' siblings ate tons of butter but were farmers so worked it all off during the day.

I guess my point is, you have to find the balance that works for you. Don't get me wrong, I'm hardly the poster child for any kind of healthy eating!! As you know - you've met me!! ;D

If only we could all just be farmers....  :P

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2010, 04:36:23 PM »
If only we could all just be farmers....  :P

LOL!! You know I keep threatening to go hide away in Spain and raise goats and olives! ;) Don't mind me, I'm just grumpy. :)

« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »

That wasn't a dig, I'm sure you do know that and this weight loss thing is emotive subject, it's just an annoying fact which I mentioned as you were asking about the Italian diet.

If you look at the Italian diet, it's just full of fatty ham and pasta but when you're eating it, you're spending two hours eating lots of small courses, you don't fill up on a carb and you're eating so slowly you're giving your belly lots of time to tell your brain it's full. Everyone knows someone who eats endless crap and stays tiny, but for most of us it isn't that easy and portion size is a huge part of it.

Have you tried weighing out 40grams of Pasta before you cook it? It may surprise you, it certainly does me :)

If you're happy with what you're eating and it's more portion size that's an issue then I know a couple of people who did really well with the diet plate thing http://www.thedietplate.com/ .Also chopsticks or putting your fork completely down between bites helps.

Just trying to help btw...

• Officially a Brit.
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2010, 05:02:19 PM »
That wasn't a dig, I'm sure you do know that and this weight loss thing is emotive subject, it's just an annoying fact which I mentioned as you were asking about the Italian diet.

If you look at the Italian diet, it's just full of fatty ham and pasta but when you're eating it, you're spending two hours eating lots of small courses, you don't fill up on a carb and you're eating so slowly you're giving your belly lots of time to tell your brain it's full. Everyone knows someone who eats endless crap and stays tiny, but for most of us it isn't that easy and portion size is a huge part of it.

Have you tried weighing out 40grams of Pasta before you cook it? It may surprise you, it certainly does me :)

If you're happy with what you're eating and it's more portion size that's an issue then I know a couple of people who did really well with the diet plate thing http://www.thedietplate.com/ .Also chopsticks or putting your fork completely down between bites helps.

Just trying to help btw...

I know, hon. Thanks.

I think most of us *know* what we need to do. It's just actually doing it, isn't it? Things are complicated for me by living with 2 people who need to lose weight far more than I do and just don't care at all anymore. As well as a son who is underweight. I literally have doctors telling me to ADD butter, oil, cheese, etc. to his food. They gave me a list of high cal foods for him. It inlcuded chili cheese fries. ::)

I think it's more than evident that I'm not in a great place to start any massive lifestyle change right now. I think for me, it's going to be making small changes over a period of time. My goal right now is to cut out the Coke. :)

Sponsored Links