Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Clearing Gatwick Customs & Immigration  (Read 4773 times)

• Liked: 0
Re: Clearing Gatwick Customs & Immigration
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2005, 01:32:00 PM »
You may want to PM Molly on this one!, She came over to visit me for 2 weeks was held in Immigration at Gatwick for over 7 Hours, she can give you an incite into Gatwick Customs who are notoriously strict.  They look for specific things which she could probably tell you about.

I hope i dont scare you with this but for warned is for armed as they say :)

Simon

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2005, 04:11:04 PM »
You know what I think im just gonna take it as it comes. Doesn't make sense to get all worried 3 weeks ahead of time. I only have one bag and a guitar so they can't think I would be staying forever on that. When I walk up to the counter Im just gonna say Im here on vacaction, When they ask where i'm staying I'll say with friends and I'm sure they'll want the address. I'll give them the address and maybe they'll ask how I met them. I'll say I met them the last time I was here back in March. All of which is true. They'll probably want to see my return ticket so I'll have that with me. I'll carry around 50 because I don't feel comfortable having more than that plus my cards. If they really want to know if he's my boyfriend then I'll tell them but I think I should stick to the friends thing anyway unless they just come out and ask me. It shouldn't be a big deal I mean thinking of all the people that come to visit.  I think thats as prepared as I can be anyway. If they don't let me in then I guess they don't. Which means I'll be crying in a corner asking for my mommy. lol.

Besides it can't be any worse than last time! They wouldn't let me and my dad in because we didn't have hotels, then they found out I was meeting what I referred to as a "pen pal" and he asked if I ever met him face to face and I said no. I was in such a nervous wreck when he asked his name all I could get out was..And..re..w. Then you know that line that the sign says don't cross? Yeah my Dad crossed it. Excuse me sir!!! Get behind the line! This all being at Gatwick

I told my boyfriend about this and he said..Can't you just walk up to the counter and when they ask what your doing here, Pull out a picture of me and say, "I'm here to see THIS lucky boy!" I didn't think that would fly. I'm pretty sure Immigration Officials got their humor removed.

It's funny that I'm more worried about this than the plane going down. Haha. Oh well Thanks Guys

Ash

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2005, 04:21:26 PM »
Besides it can't be any worse than last time! They wouldn't let me and my dad in because we didn't have hotels, then they found out I was meeting what I referred to as a "pen pal" and he asked if I ever met him face to face and I said no. I was in such a nervous wreck when he asked his name all I could get out was..And..re..w. Then you know that line that the sign says don't cross? Yeah my Dad crossed it. Excuse me sir!!! Get behind the line! This all being at GatwickAsh

How long ago were you denied entry? I have to tell you...if you've got a stamp in your passport showing that you've been denied entry then getting entry this time is going to be a process. They can't let you in without looking up the reason you were denied entry last time. Then, they're going to want to know how your situation has changed that they should allow you in now. I just went through this last February. It took me flying into Newcastle (thought I'd try my luck at a much smaller airport) and the immigration officer asking my boyfriend multiply times "She's really not your girlfriend?" and my boyfriend's dad vouching for me and swearing that I would be on my flight out of the country in 11 days and that I wouldn't be working while I was there. If you've got one of those stamps in your passport, just REALLY be prepared.

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2005, 04:24:43 PM »
No no they let me in. Thank God. I didn't get questioned past the desk they just shoved me thru.

Ash

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2005, 04:39:55 PM »
Ash...  your plan sounds good to me.  You shouldn't have any worries :D

I wish I was going over in 3 weeks.... ah well... just 4 more months  :-\\\\
Only Time will tell.. it's just too bad she's a closed mouth B**!!!

« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2005, 04:42:38 PM »
I agree... if it's just a two week stay and you don't say "boyfriend" you shouldn't have any trouble.

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2005, 05:18:03 PM »
These stories are horrifying!  I feel lucky 'cause I always flew in & out through Manchester (and Leeds-Bradford) and never had any problems at all (though I know there are those who may have had).  And I probably said stuff (naively) that would have raised red flags, based on what you're saying, down there at Gatwick...like that I was visiting my boyfriend, we met on the internet, etc...  Boy was I dumb!  But no probs at all...though I guess I was always very firm about the fact that I had a job in the US, expectant of my return in two weeks, etc.  I'm glad to have my FLR now & the only two times they've asked me (with that) if my husband is with me -- he usually has been...but usually it's just 'Welcome home.'  In my experience, the male I/O's have been nicer & more friendly than the female ones...which is probably not indicative of anything really other than my experience.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2005, 07:36:30 PM »
I was detained at Gatwick when I first came over, I made the mistake of saying I was visiting my Fiancee and that was it, I was taken to a small room with about 10-15 other people. The room had several small tables and a T.V. We were called out one by one to be interviewed and then taken back to the room while they went and question Simon to see if our stories were the same. The searched my bags, read my letters and checked my plane ticket to see if it was a one way or return. They allowed my 2 weeks in the country and kept my passport making sure I would return to collect it after the allotted time ran out.
I had never been so nervous in all my life. The thought of possibly flying back the same day just terrified me. Even my future mum inlaw tried to help but the people she spoke to said if I had flown in through anyother airport besides Gatwick, they would have been able to help.
Not the best first experience I had when I came to the UK.

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2005, 02:48:39 AM »
Yikes!  I'll be flying into Gatwick on my fiancee visa in September, hope they don't give me a hard time.

Also my parents and my great aunt and uncle will be flying in for the wedding, do you think them explaining that they're here for x number of weeks/days to attend a wedding should raise any flags?  Maybe they should be sure to bring the invitations with them in their carry ons as that will show the date?
Maroon Passport Club!

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2005, 02:21:04 PM »
Yikes! I'll be flying into Gatwick on my fiancee visa in September, hope they don't give me a hard time.

Also my parents and my great aunt and uncle will be flying in for the wedding, do you think them explaining that they're here for x number of weeks/days to attend a wedding should raise any flags? Maybe they should be sure to bring the invitations with them in their carry ons as that will show the date?

They shouldn't give you a hard time since you do have a Visa.. will your fiancee be with you?  If so it would make it a lot easier.

And I doubt they would give you parents/relatives a hard time at all, but I think bringing and invite would be helpful, just in case ;)

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2005, 08:36:12 PM »
  They shouldn't give you a hard time since you do have a Visa.. will your fiancee be with you?  If so it would make it a lot easier.

I wasn't planning on flying in with her. Would it really make things that much easier?

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2005, 12:43:10 AM »
I wasn't planning on flying in with her. Would it really make things that much easier?

I don't know how much a difference it makes but I have read a few people on here who've been asked if their fiancee or spouse was with them, once they had presented their passport.   I do know that mine is going to be traveling with me and is insisting on coming up to the desk with me, just in case they have any problems or questions.

• Then things got just plain Silly!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2005, 05:35:24 PM »
This topic makes me nervous! I've flown into Gatwick twice now in the last 8 months. The first time I went I was asked lots of questions by a female Immigration Officer. She just kept firing one after another at me. I answered all of her questions honestly and I am sure she could see I was visibly nervous. I said I was there visiting a male friend, and did answer I met him on the internet. She never reacted to any of my responses, just would throw out another question, then finally let me through. When I was leaving to go home on that trip, I was taken out of line and had my bags searched, but the people were nothing but polite and courteous to me, and once they were finished I got to go to the head of the line  ;D

Second trip I had no trouble at all. The only questions I was asked were what the purpose of my trip was, and how long I was staying. I was then sent on my way and told to enjoy my stay! I was sooo nervous that time, thinking it would be horrible!

Now I wonder how it will be when I return again. I have been considering flying into Manchester or someplace smaller next time because of this, but Gatwick is the only airport I can find a direct flight to from here!
All dreams can come true—if we have the courage to pursue them.
Walt Disney

I can't change the direction of the wind, I can however adjust my sails to always make it to my destination.

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2005, 05:41:40 PM »
It's scary isn't it! My boyfriend keeps having to talk me down when we're on the phone and I start going off about how they might not let me through. I'm flying into Birmingham so hopefully it won't be as bad. I guess all I can do is remember that Im not there to do anything that I'd need to lie about. Im just visiting my boyfriend and friends. Still though the idea that they would say go home is pretty scary! Oh well nothing I can do but wait now.  :-\\\\

Ash

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2005, 08:05:37 PM »
Oddly enough, it was an IO at Gatwick who denied me entry.  But it was Heathrow we left out of (long story...), so I hate Heathrow but still prefer Gatwick!
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links