Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Getting a UK drivers license...  (Read 4084 times)

• Love Exile
    • stoat
  • Liked: 0
Re: Getting a UK drivers license...
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2004, 11:53:44 AM »
Tholian, I think you just answered a question that I've had kicking around in my head for a while now - my student visa runs out at the end of Oct. but I'm applying for a FLR (M) after my wedding at the end of September - does that mean that my driving privileges will renew for another year and I'll have a year from the date of my FLR visa to get my license? If so, YAY!!!  :D
From my reading of the DVLA regulations pertaining to residency, I should have had one year of driving privileges (as a "long term guest") each time I got a one-year student visa.  However, when I got a settlement visa (unmarried partner in my case), the clock started ticking on my courtesy year when I entered the country on that visa for the first time.  At that point I stopped being a long term guest and became what they call an "ordinary resident."

This was my conclusion and it seems to have worked out fine.  Then again, I have never been stopped by the police, or been in an accident, or given anyone any reason to inquire into my driving status.  Your mileage, so to speak, may vary.  In general I would advise to get it over with sooner, rather than later.  I very much regret the 3 or 4 months I procrastinated this task.
~Emily

"It is one thing to say that our feet do not know they are feet.  It is quite another thing to say that they are illusions."  --Ernest Holmes

« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2004, 09:02:02 PM »
just fyi for those who want to be 'by the book' i'd advise checking with dvla before driving on US licence  past the first 12 months of your residency. i was told that every person has 12 months; period. i have known students who were told the same thing recently. the dvla official explained it to me as a 12 month grace period that everyone may use once. no exceptions for students or those able to procure a visa of some other type. no restarting the clock for any reason.  things may have changed since i spoke with them, but do cover your own bases and check. 

• Love Exile
    • stoat
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2004, 08:39:44 AM »
Interesting.  I was told that I could NOT seek a UK license as a student because I was not an "ordinary resident," and only ordinary residents could apply.  I would have to enter the country on my settlement visa first, and then live here as an ordinary resident for six months before making an application.  So according to that information, anyone who is here as a student for longer than a year has to simply stop driving, and stay stopped until 6 months after they get a different type of visa.  That hardly seems reasonable to me.  Hmph.
~Emily

"It is one thing to say that our feet do not know they are feet.  It is quite another thing to say that they are illusions."  --Ernest Holmes

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2004, 09:20:05 AM »
For Students the DVLA site says:

Students who hold a non-Community licence or an International Driving Permit may drive here for up to 12 months.

Those who hold a licence from a designated country [ USA is NOT a designated country - Graham] may apply to exchange this for a British one up to 5 years after becoming a resident here (see Section 3). Students who do not hold a licence, or whose licence was not issued in a designated country, will need to apply for a provisional licence and then pass a driving test.

They will be able to take a test and obtain a full licence once they have been in GB for 6 months.

And for Residents

Provided your full licence remains valid, you can drive any category of small vehicle shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the time you became resident.  To ensure continuous driving entitlement a provisional GB licence must have been obtained and a driving test(s) passed before the 12 month period elapses. If you obtain a provisional licence during this period, you are not subject to provisional licence conditions e.g. displaying `L' plates or being supervised by a qualified driver or being precluded from motorways.

However, if you do not pass a test within the 12 month concessionary period you will not be allowed to drive as a full licence holder and provisional licence conditions will apply.

If you do not apply for a provisional licence within the first 12 months you must stop driving and obtain a British provisional licence with a view to passing a driving test. Provisional licence conditions will then apply.

So what does that mean?

I read it than students and new residents can drive in the UK for up to a year on their USA license from when they first arrive.  New residents can take a test as soon as they like, but students have to wait for six months of that first year.  And I don't think it should leave anyone off the road or driving illegally.  However, it isn't clear about people who change status, and it doesn't mention any concessions.

I'm sure the rules outlines on the DVLA web site are somewhat simplified (and I'm also sure that they have some advisers there who aren't 100% knowledgable on every rule so mis-advise will sometimes be given. Rules have a habit of changing so what was good in 2003 may be wrong in 2004 ...
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2004, 01:30:34 PM »
Here is an email address for the DVLA:

drivers.dvla@gtnet.gov.uk (Note: the first part of the address is drivers.dvla though the driver part is not linking through on this posting)

Per my experience, they DO respond on a one-to-one basis, so might be an idea to drop them a line if you feel your particulars are not clearly outlined in their documentation (eg., change from student visa to other type of visa).  Better hear it from them than wonder...

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab