Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Email or Phone or Heaven forbid in person?  (Read 2674 times)

Re: Email or Phone or Heaven forbid in person?
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 03:48:14 PM »
Your story seems very romantic, DC Girl!

Hope you will post some pictures of the wedding on the boards here!

I'm jealous!  Looks like a beautiful place.

Best wishes!
Julie

• Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 04:31:20 PM »
UPDATE:

First I want to thank everyone for their responses.  This is what happened.....my mom (who's retired) has a very close girlfriend that doesn't live far from me.  Well, Wednesday the two ladies had lunch together.  On my mom's way back to her house she drove past mine.  Guess what she saw standing proudly in my front yard?  My FOR SALE SIGN!!  Actually her seeing that seemed to soften her up a bit when we spoke over the phone on Friday.  So, when we talked yesterday she wasn't angry but sad in a defeated sort of way.  I'm thankful there was no yelling, crying etc.,  Essentially she said, 'I just hope you know what you're doing, this is a huge step you're taking, I hope it works out for you.'  Not once did she ask about my fiance, my wedding, plans, etc.,  Just 'I wish you well' which is the same thing I said to a co-worker that was leaving.  Not something a mom should say to her daughter in this situation.

A short time later she phoned to ask what I was going to do with my car.  I told her I planned on donating it to Purple Heart.  She said, how about donating it to your dad.  No problem, my father gets the car.

I can imagine as the days go on I'll get more calls from the family to see what I will be taking over with me.  And perhaps what they can have.  

I'm relieved and down at the same time.  

« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 04:34:57 PM by DC_Girl »
*spousal visa FLR(M) issued June 8, 2010*

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 05:44:06 PM »
*hugs*

http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 06:05:36 PM »
*hugs*

Thank you!

On another thread you gave a suggestion that I'm going to do as well.  You said that you have two separate blogs.  One for family and one for friends etc.,  I'm going to do the exact same.  The one for family will be tame, the one for new and old friends will be the 'real nitty gritty'  hopefully it will help someone else dealing with various  negativity when they're relocating to a different country.

Thanks again!

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 06:14:03 PM »
Thank you!

On another thread you gave a suggestion that I'm going to do as well.  You said that you have two separate blogs.  One for family and one for friends etc.,  I'm going to do the exact same.  The one for family will be tame, the one for new and old friends will be the 'real nitty gritty'  hopefully it will help someone else dealing with various  negativity when they're relocating to a different country.

Thanks again!

You're welcome. Yep, I keep the Wordpress blog on my domain for my family (and friends), and I keep a livejournal just for my friends.  My family doesn't know the LJ exists. 
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

• Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2009, 09:38:36 PM »
Soooo glad it went well for you DC Girl! I imagine that's a big relief and now you can confidently concentrate on moving! :)
"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it." -Eat Pray Love

beth@medivisas.com
medivisas.com

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 05:01:44 PM »
Soooo glad it went well for you DC Girl! I imagine that's a big relief and now you can confidently concentrate on moving! :)

Thank you so much --- it does feel like a 50lb weight has been lifted off my back. 

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 09:13:39 AM »
Hugs, DC Girl. Glad you got it off your chest. People were in line to get my stuff, too. HA - and they actually thought I wasn't going to take my iMac with me...they just didn't anticipate how much I love my Mac.  :)

I had relatives that I rarely ever spoke to trying to get their hands on my car.  ::) And it was just a Nissan Sentra with well over a 100,000 miles on it, for crying out loud. It's not like I had a super awesome car or anything.

• Reflections from the Water Skull
    • Author Echo Draven
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 11:31:48 AM »
I am very happy that you feel relieved DC Girl!  ;D And the rest of the process should be a bit smoother for you if you just concentrate on what you need to do for your wedding and move.
HUGS for any of the negative or ill felling thoughts that have or will pop into your head in response to things that your family does.
I wish you well and happiness, you deserve it.
Not for the faint of heart.

• Jewlz

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 11:33:33 AM »
The family you choose is usually so much better than the one you were born with.  :)

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 04:40:00 PM »
What's wild is that I feel relieved but I still have a knot in my stomach.  Kind of like I want them to prove me wrong.  I want them to ask questions and not just about what they can have or make statements about how they hope I'm not making a mistake. 

My bday is Sept. 19th, and I wonder if they'll surprise me with anything --- not material or monetary gifts.  But even just a 'going away' get together with close family members.

Part of me feels that when I'm at the airport about to leave that I'll be on my own.  And in a way I wouldn't want them to come to see me off.  I hate feeling this way.  But in the meantime there is still lots for me to do of which I've got to stay focused.

Thanks again everyone for your support and kind words......you guys have felt more like 'family' than my own family.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 06:19:46 PM »
Are you bringing your Pom with you?  I brought mine years ago when we still had the dreaded quarantine...but it was well worth it.
"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford." - Samuel Johnson

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 07:13:16 PM »
Are you bringing your Pom with you?  I brought mine years ago when we still had the dreaded quarantine...but it was well worth it.

That was one of the hardest decisions for me --- I gave her to the woman that watched her for two weeks while I was vacationing in England.  Deborah is a petsitter and fell in love with my little Bailey.  She works part-time as a petsitter and cleans houses, her hubby is a school teacher that has the summer months off.  They have two adult sons (that are out of the house) and no grand kids.  I figured she was the best person to look after Bailey.  She's been with her now for about 3 weeks and is having a blast.  Deborah sends me updates and photos -- makes me sad but I know it was for the best.

Bailey's loving it --- she's totally the center of attention.  When she was with me she'd spend an entire day by herself until I came home from work which was very unfair to her.

Also, once we marry we plan on having at least a two week honeymoon....there would be no one to look after her unless we paid for a sitter or put her in a kennel till we returned.  We also plan on traveling quite a bit and it just wouldn't be fair to Bailey.

But I do miss her.

• Jewlz

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2009, 09:38:25 AM »
Our dog's name is Bailee.  ;D

I had to leave my cats with my grandma. But, it gives us something to talk about when I call, and they are happy with her. It was tough, but they had stayed with her various times over the years and I knew she could use the company.

I recently adopted a five year old cat here, and I love him.  :) Maybe once you get settled in, you could adopt a new friend! There's never a replacement for your old pals, but having a new pet is fun, too.

Sorry about your family being that way, but soon you will be here with your husband and then you will have a new family. It's much better that way. (((HUGS)))

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2009, 05:40:11 PM »
Our dog's name is Bailee.  ;D

Maybe once you get settled in, you could adopt a new friend! There's never a replacement for your old pals, but having a new pet is fun, too.
 (((HUGS)))

Bailey is a wonderful name  :)  Actually I think it's a little unfair to a pet (mainly dog) that has to be left at home all couped up.  Me and my sweetums decided if we were to get a dog it would be when we retire so we could spend more time with it.  Dogs seem to be more 'needy' than cats. 

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab