Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Issues with new Virgin modem/router...  (Read 1367 times)

• Pajama Enthusiast
  • Liked: 3
Issues with new Virgin modem/router...
« on: June 14, 2011, 09:40:43 AM »
I want calling Virgin to be my last resort, because we've already called them once and they were pretty much useless.  So, I'm hoping someone more tech savvy than myself might be able to help!  I ask forgiveness now for the subsequent wall of text.  Just trying to include all the variables!  :)

We've just moved house and took our Virgin broadband and phone account with us.  Our old area had fiber optics, and our service was great.  The equipment they gave us was a modem and a separate netgear router.

We've moved out to the middle of nowhere, so there's no fiber optics (and the lines are technically owned by BT), and they also sent new equipment along when we told them we were moving.  The new set up is one of those 2-in-1 modem/routers by Netgear, rather than being 2 separate devices.

Ever since we've been hooked up, the wireless internet has worked surprisingly well (we were expecting it to be really slow after being spoiled by fiber optics), except for when trying to log into secure websites like e-mail, banking, online shopping.  When we get to those sites, it just sits there trying to load and eventually times out.  Also, sometimes the connection itself times out and we have to reset the the modem/router.

There is no problem with the internet at all if we hardwire the computer up to the modem via an ethernet cable.  This is how I know the connection itself is good, but it's some kind of problem with the router.  No matter how many times I restart it, the wireless just can't handle the secure sites, even if I use different browsers.  It also can't download anything.  I have to be hooked up via ethernet cable to do updates or download my podcasts.  I use a MacBook Pro by the way, if that helps at all.

So, what do I do?  We still have our old equipment, and I'm tempted to see if that fixes the problem.  Are you required to use what they give you or is it merely a courtesy that they send you this stuff?  

Should I just stop being a brat and call them back about it?  They act like you're an idiot that doesn't know how to use the internet.  Last time they told me it was because we went 2 weeks without the internet so nothing was updated, and that was why, and then to download Google Chrome.  ::)  Truly helpful.  >:(  I just hung up after that.

Anyway, all advice or suggestions welcome.  Thanks!  :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 09:42:43 AM by NoseOverTail »
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• unabridged opinions
  • Liked: 1
Re: Issues with new Virgin modem/router...
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:22:10 AM »
Well, I do like Google Chrome, but I'm not sure it's the complete answer. :) Have you googled your router and looked to see if there are any firmware updates for it? Sometimes it can be as simple as that.

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 11:30:40 AM »
I've never even heard of a firmware update, so I will certainly try that!  Thanks!  :)

I've also had a development in the past few minutes.  If I log-in to the problematic secure sites while using the ethernet cable, and then unplug and go wireless, I have no problem returning to those sites after I've logged in.  It's just the actual logging-in process or the initial loading of the page pre log-in that is the problem.  So weird.
"It is really a matter of ending this silence and solitude, of breathing and stretching one's arms again."

• unabridged opinions
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 11:39:20 AM »
I've never even heard of a firmware update, so I will certainly try that!  Thanks!  :)

I've also had a development in the past few minutes.  If I log-in to the problematic secure sites while using the ethernet cable, and then unplug and go wireless, I have no problem returning to those sites after I've logged in.  It's just the actual logging-in process or the initial loading of the page pre log-in that is the problem.  So weird.

Oooh, those sorts of problems are the worst! I am constantly telling my husband that I swear something wasn't working before even if it appears to be working now... so annoying.  Good luck.

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 12:04:08 PM »
Virgin DNS servers are awful. Possibly try another the google public DNS servers?

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

It could be IP connection timing issues, in which case - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/200770

Otherwise since internet connections are routed through two different ports, depending on whether it's a secure or unsecure site it could be a port blocking issue. So maybe your firewall etc? Othewise you may want to see which ports you have open/closed

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 12:09:43 PM »
Have you tried Virgins help and support forum?

http://community.virginmedia.com/

I posted a while ago about my tv box that kept re-setting and their customer service people sent out an engineer within a couple of days who replaced the box. I didn't have to speak to anyone on the phone  ;D

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 03:06:04 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm going to look into all of these suggestions!  :)

• Pajama Enthusiast
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 10:31:03 AM »
Well, it's working fine today after having done pretty much nothing.  Maybe it knew I was talking crap about it and decided to step up its game?  :D

Thanks again for the help guys!  I'll be referring back to it when it all inevitably fails again!  :)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab