Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Baby's first UK passport - parents' vs grandparents' details  (Read 1896 times)

• Liked: 0
Baby's first UK passport - parents' vs grandparents' details
« on: March 06, 2022, 12:15:29 PM »
Hello,

I am a dual US/UK citizen, my husband is a UK citizen and we gave birth to a daughter in UK in 2021. We're just applying for her first UK passport using a paper form and will be going to an in-person appointment to get a fast-tracked passport.

I am struggling with the question on the form about parents' details and whether or not I also have to include grandparents' details. I was born after 1/1/83 but my husband was born before 1/1/83. He was born in the UK; I am a naturalized UK citizen. Does that mean we need to include the baby's grandparents' details? And, sorry if this is obvious, but if so, should we just include my husband's parents' details (since they would be the ones with claim to British citizenship) or do we also need to include my US parents?

Thanks so much!

• Liked: 3595
Re: Baby's first UK passport - parents' vs grandparents' details
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 12:30:02 PM »
You ONLY need to provide grandparents' details if
- the parent was born AFTER 1/1/1983
and/or
- the parent was was born abroad

So, if your husband was born before 1/1/1983, then you do NOT need to provide his parents' details

As you were born after 1/1/1983 AND you were born abroad, you DO need to provide your parents' details.

This is from the official guidance booklet for passport applications:

If either parent was born on or after 1 January 1983, or were born outside the UK, please give the following details in section 8 of the application form.
Either:
- the full name, town, country of birth and date of marriage of your mother’s or parent 1’s parents and your father’s or parent 2’s parents,
or
- details of your parents’ claim to British nationality.

• Liked: 0
Re: Baby's first UK passport - parents' vs grandparents' details
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 12:32:57 PM »
You ONLY need to provide grandparents' details if
- the parent was born AFTER 1/1/1983
and/or
- the parent was was born abroad

So, if your husband was born before 1/1/1983, then you do NOT need to provide his parents' details

As you were born after 1/1/1983 AND you were born abroad, you DO need to provide your parents' details.

This is from the official guidance booklet for passport applications:

Ah, thanks so much! That's incredibly helpful. I was getting so confused by those 'either's, 'and's and 'or's!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab