Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ILE and BRP Help please  (Read 335 times)

• Liked: 4
ILE and BRP Help please
« on: May 05, 2022, 10:37:48 AM »
I have been in the UK for 16 years on an ILE and just learned whilst applying for new jobs about the BRP.
Two questions, easy one is can I still travel with my original passport ILE as I have a flight booked the end of next month? I haven't seen my family for three years and my mother is 93, so I don't want to put it off as the BRP wait is 6 months.

Secondly, what do I need to apply for the BRP? I read posts of reams of information being required and am in a bit of a panic as I don't have records going back that far, although I understand they will look at the passport stamps? That is also a concern because when I arrive at Stansted I tell them I have a visa and they send me through the electronic entry lines. I take it that is all recorded now? Also with Dublin, one guard didn't know what my ILE even was and just stamped me through.

Any help is appreciated. I'm old now and this is exhausting. 
Often we do what makes sense even when it isn't any good.

• Liked: 4985
Re: ILE and BRP Help please
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 01:30:03 PM »
Just so you know, you have Indefinite Leave to Remain, not enter.

Yes, the sticker in your expired passport is fine for travel. However, you MUST have a BRP to legally be allowed to work.

Have you considered applying for citizenship instead?

• Liked: 3596
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 03:08:50 PM »
Just so you know, you have Indefinite Leave to Remain, not enter.

If they have been here for 16 years, it probably is Indefinite Leave to Enter.

Before the new immigration rules came in in July 2012, people who had been married to and living with a UK citizen outside the UK for at least 4 years, could apply directly for ILE from outside the UK as long as they had taken the Life in the UK test first (which could be taken as a visitor).

If they hadn’t passed the test, they would be granted a 27-month spousal visa with KOL Required so that they could immediately apply for ILR as soon as they had passed the test after arriving in the UK.

Sadly, both options were stopped with the new rules in July 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2022, 03:39:23 PM »
If they have been here for 16 years, it probably is Indefinite Leave to Enter.

Before the new immigration rules came in in July 2012, people who had been married to and living with a UK citizen outside the UK for at least 4 years, could apply directly for ILE from outside the UK as long as they had taken the Life in the UK test first (which could be taken as a visitor).

If they hadn’t passed the test, they would be granted a 27-month spousal visa with KOL Required so that they could immediately apply for ILR as soon as they had passed the test after arriving in the UK.

Sadly, both options were stopped with the new rules in July 2012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a school day!  ;D

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2022, 09:20:23 PM »
Thanks to all for your input. It is correct that the system was different when I emigrated.

Citizenship seems to be the way to go, does anyone know if that would have an adverse effect on my Social Security benefits when I retire soon? Or is that best asked elsewhere?

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 07:52:45 AM »
Has ZERO bearing on Social security benefits.

The USA allows dual citizenship but "doesn't recognise it".  Meaning, to the USA, you are a US citizen first and foremost.  The only thing that means for any of us, is that you need to enter the US on a US passport.  That's literally where it starts and ends.  Living abroad and drawing social security is the same, regardless of any other nationalities held.

Citizenship would mean that you never have to worry about rules changing and not being compliant.  Sadly many people have lost jobs because this change was made (ILR/ILE no longer valid for working or renting if in an expired passport).  Currently it's only taking about a month for citizenship applications, whereas a BRP is six months.  They did just extend ILR applications to an ELEVEN month processing time, so do know the BRP processing times could start to grow in time.  It's really sucky.

I was on my phone when I had replied before, but here is the link if you want to apply for a BRP:

https://visas-immigration.service.gov.uk/product/biometric-residence-permit-replacement-service?_ga=2.117067078.1969361054.1652078691-291573497.1644568113
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/travel-documents-transfer-of-conditions

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 10:59:09 AM »
Thanks, that is a relief to know. I will look further into citizenship as that does seem to be  the best option.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab