Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Which countries offer hetero civil partnerships? (for skipping fiancée visa)  (Read 4461 times)

• LDR in the early stages of closing the gap
  • Liked: 0
Hello, my boyfriend (US) and I (UK) would like to enter a civil partnership outside of the UK to skip the proposed civil partner visa (equivalent to fiancée visa), is anyone aware of any countries in the EU that officiate opposite sex civil partnerships for foreigners?

We know Ireland and Denmark used to do it but they've since discontinued it due to the legalisation of gay marriage. We are also aware many countries officiate marriages for foreigners, but my boyfriend and I value marriage very much and we'd like to do everything we can to avoid a visa marriage.

Would it be possible to register a civil partnership directly with the UK government through an embassy in another country? Say, we went to the UK embassy in France to register our civil partnership, is something like that possible? I'd really appreciate if you could give us tips on how and where we could register a civil partnership that is recognised in the UK.

Trust me we are aware marriage is much easier and probably so much less stressful, but we really don't want to rush into marriage especially given we've only ever seen each other face-to-face twice, and yes partnership is still a big commitment but again we value marriage for more than just the commitment and the paperwork.

• Liked: 16
Gibraltar is a popular option for marriages and civil partnerships: https://www.gibraltar.gov.gi/civil-status-registration-office/marriages-civil-partnerships

• Liked: 387
Your marriage or civil partnership will be recognised in the UK if both of the following apply:

- you followed the correct process in the country where you got married
- it would be allowed under UK law

https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad

You don't need to worry that your civil partnership in another country might need some kind of special approval for the UK. If it meets the above requirements, it will be recognised. :)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 08:53:18 PM by Aquila »

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab