Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Passport and UK Passport  (Read 2242 times)

• Liked: 0
US Passport and UK Passport
« on: August 21, 2022, 06:56:11 PM »
Hi there!

We're looking to travel to the US with our new baby (born in June). Just getting round to sorting her passports (UK and US) and had some questions:

1. Does anyone know if I can apply for both of the passports at the same time? The UK Gov website doesn't tell you what documents you need to submit online until you complete the form and I don't have photos ready so not ready to complete the form yet.

2. With the US one - I know baby needs to enter the US on her US Passport. Do you know if we can take her with just her US Passport even if she hasn't received her UK one yet?

3. Does anyone have a rough idea what the timescales of getting US Passport are at the moment? We're in Scotland so Edinburgh would be where we would go for our appointment.

Sorry if these questions can be answered elsewhere. Many thanks in advance for any help. :)

• Liked: 4985
Re: US Passport and UK Passport
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2022, 10:29:38 AM »
Apply for both at the same time (assuming you have two birth certificates).

Otherwise, the UK will ask you to send the US passport to them and they may not return the USA passport for several months - not even kidding.  USA doesn't care about the UK passport.

Edinburgh is supposed to be a DREAM for a CRBA.  You send everything in advance (look at the US Embassy website and navigate through to the consulate in Edinburgh).  US passports are taking about 4 weeks right now, if you are travelling earlier they'll issue an emergency passport on the day that you'll exchange for a full validity passport when you return.  Both parents need to attend the appointment. 

UK passports are currently taking 10 weeks to process.  Baby will need UK passport to re-enter the UK as a resident.  If they only have their USA passport it could prove problematic.  Definitely best to wait until you have both passports in hand before booking travel.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab