Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: portable washing machines  (Read 3006 times)

• Liked: 680
portable washing machines
« on: October 16, 2022, 01:04:08 AM »
I live in a block of flats where we share a washer and dryer. Was ok for a long time, and then we got a new neighbor who uses an incredible amount of some stinky stuff in either the wash or the dryer. The pair of machines are in the basement, but the vent is just outside the front door. Whenever they are doing laundry the lobby reeks so badly that we have to literally hold our noses until we can get from the front door into our own place and stuff a towel under the door to keep the stink out. If not, the kid gets a coughing fit and I get the equivalent of an asthma attack that requires medication.  So that's one day out of the week.

We have another neighbor who lives in the basement flat (across from the laundry). They have a school-aged child who, apparently, is not always toilet trained. From what we can guess, they save up all the soiled laundry and then do it all at once - usually on a Sunday morning. The smell wafts up to our floor and is seriously a gagging stink. (As in, nausea inducing.) The towel under the front door takes care of that, but we're prisoner to it until it dissipates. There is no chance of going down to the basement when they are doing the laundry because of the smell - it's truly awful. Going downstairs to get out of the building involves a mad dash and considerable breath-holding.  This has only been happening for the last few months, so we're not sure what's going on. My sympathies for them having the problem - it must be ghastly to deal with. But doing that laundry in the only communal washer and dryer in the building instead of sending it out????  I am on the fence about mentioning it to the management on the thought that if they could afford to send it out they would be doing so and I don't want to add to what has to be a horrific problem they already have - I would really be concerned that the management would boot them out. I can hold my breath for a bit one day a week.

Stink aside, one washer, one dryer.  That means that the residue from the chemically-overpowering-synthetic flowers gets on the clothes of whomever uses the dryer next.  I can only imagine what gets on the clothes of whomever does a load of laundry after the basement flat does their usual Sunday morning. 

::)

So we've been taking our chances on the laundromat. Heaven only knows what's been in the machines before us, but it's a good bet it's better than the above two options. And those big machines rinse a lot better - they have quintuple-loaders that get blankets, etc., really clean, and good big tumble dryers.  It's actually not very expensive.

However, with cold weather coming on and being tired of having to listen to the MAGA types down at the laundromat (where one is a captive audience until one can get the laundry folded and get out of there) I started looking around for options  for portable washing machines.  It's amazing the variety that are out there these days!  I had one that hooked up to the sink when the kiddo was little and it was a life-saver, but  it was fiddly to use.  They have some really nice ones now that are lightweight and look pretty impressive for the money.

But being the cheapskate that I am, I went for the low-tech. Not the so low-tech that you put the water and clothes in and then turn a crank to work it, but kind of a step up. I'm trying one of those ones that holds about 10 pounds of wash, you add the water manually (using the intake hose or a bucket), run it, and then it gravity drains through a hose into the shower drain. The you re-fill it manually again with water to rinse. The other side of the machine has a high-speed spinner that is supposed to spin the water out, or you can use another hose to feed water in while it's spinning to help rinse out more of the soap, if that's an issue.  There were several to choose from. I went with  one from Walmart rather than Amazon, because if it breaks I can stuff it in the car and take it back to  Walmart. All the ones on Amazon that I could get warranty info on required the  units be sent back at the owner's expense if they fail during warranty. (And, apparently, that is to China in some cases!)

I don't mind doing the manual stuff - my social life is not so full that I can't take the time it already takes to do all the underwear by hand to use this machine.  I do hope it works!  It's tiny, and it's plastic (except for the wash tub and the spin tub). Which I don't like. But the  only moving parts on the thing are the rotary timer and the motors that turn the tubs. Supposedly we can do a few shirts and a pair of jeans and undies at a time.  Fingers are crossed.

Has anyone used these things before?  I got this model, but on a discount.: "Gymax 17.6 lbs Washer Spinner Compact Portable Washing Machine Twin Tub for home or dorm". Apparently a lot of people who live in their RVs use them? It is to be delivered on Wednesday.

And yes, we could move to a place with a W/D in it - it's actually very unusual to not have a W/D in the flat here, but this place is incredibly cheap for the local market, rather large for a two-bedroom, my heating/cooling bills have been very reasonable, and that laundry issue is pretty much the only thing we don't like about living here. They have hardly raised the rent since we've been here, too. Should that change, we can go elsewhere. That has a W/D in the flat. And maybe a fireplace.  8)   )
« Last Edit: October 16, 2022, 01:19:26 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 722
Re: portable washing machines
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2022, 03:30:09 PM »
I grew up using a twin tub exactly like you describe, between ages 16 and 18 my mother spent a lot of time in hospital so I got to use it a lot. I used to slide it out on wash days next to the kitchen sink so the drain hose could sit there, and there was a hose from the tap to run fresh water into the spinner before its second spin cycle.

We never had a hot air drier so the clothes would then sit on clothes horses to dry. However, the spinner got the clothes pretty dry.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2022, 05:45:31 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I remember my granny had something similar, when I was a kid, but it had a wringer. It worked pretty well - she was fastidious, so if it hadn't have she would have binned it. I do wish we had a drying green, though. But we don't and we're not allowed to have laundry out on the balcony where it can be seen. I've just never seen one with a separate spinner tub before.

On  schedule, we went for a walk this morning to take advantage of some really good sales at a local market (and take pictures of the leaves - they are glorious right now and it's beautiful outside) and came back to "the stench" when we opened the front door of the building.  I am hopeful this machine does work well. Supposedly it uses only a minimal amount of electricity, too, and as we already dry a lot of hand-washed clothes in our bathroom or in a hallway where the forced hot air vent blows down (when we have the furnace on), drying shouldn't be an issue. If anything, maybe we won't have to run humidifiers as much this winter to keep the air from being too dry.

I have to dig a lot of the garden later today and really need to get a lot of garlic planted - it's time. (Actually I'm running a bit late getting it in.) I also need to take a lot of blankets, a load of towels, and almost all my work clothes to the laundry. There's not time for both, so I'll get by on what I can hand-wash and hope that the machine gets here on Wednesday, as tracking is now saying it will. And that when it does, it's not in pieces or malfunctioning, etc., and I can use it!  I'd forgotten how nice it is to have one's own washing machine.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 12:56:29 AM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 958
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2022, 06:57:02 PM »
This is why I had to live in a house vs apartment building. Good luck finding something adequate, I never did but also never had the space for one when in apartments.

An AustinAir purifier was my saviour to prevent migraines and asthma attacks/anaphylaxis in my house from the stink of others though. Your daughter sounds like she might have mast cell activation syndrome too. :( We aren't made for the modern world of noxious chemicals.

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2022, 12:54:18 AM »
This is why I had to live in a house vs apartment building. Good luck finding something adequate, I never did but also never had the space for one when in apartments.

An AustinAir purifier was my saviour to prevent migraines and asthma attacks/anaphylaxis in my house from the stink of others though. Your daughter sounds like she might have mast cell activation syndrome too. :( We aren't made for the modern world of noxious chemicals.

Well, hopefully this one will work. If not, I can go with something more modern. I just prefer things to have the least amount of moving parts available - less to break. I just wish it wasn't mainly made of plastic. But for the price, if I don't have to go to the laundromat for six months the machine will have paid for itself.

We have a really good quality filter running 24/7 about 5 feet inside the front door. As long as we plug the gap under the door, there's no odor in the house at all. Thankfully. Because omg.... :o

Yeah, that's on the list of probables. When she was a kid she would amuse herself by playing tic-tac-toe on her leg. Barely running a nail across would raise up welts.

PS - Still no ill-effects from the Moderna Bivalent booster. A little tired, but I dug a quarter of the garden over and we planted about 200 garlic bulbs today, so definitely not in the same league as past problems with the vaccine.

• Liked: 37
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2022, 11:09:33 PM »
I grew up using a twin tub exactly like you describe, between ages 16 and 18 my mother spent a lot of time in hospital so I got to use it a lot. I used to slide it out on wash days next to the kitchen sink so the drain hose could sit there, and there was a hose from the tap to run fresh water into the spinner before its second spin cycle.

We never had a hot air drier so the clothes would then sit on clothes horses to dry. However, the spinner got the clothes pretty dry.

What you describe is I think what I had about 30 years ago when I lived in a basement apartment in Quebec..  it was great.  I’d just wheel it over to the sink and put the hose on the tap to fill and hang the hose over the sink to drain.  If I remember correctly I could choose how long for the wash to run with a dial like on a regular washing machine and to drain I’d just move everything into the spinner to spin and add water to it to rinse.  Mine was made out of metal, not plastic and on wheels so I could move it around easily.  When not in use it was against the wall... it was probably around 3 feet long and 1 1/2 feet wide and 2 1/2 feet high.  Was wonderful and best part was got it for free from a friend who didn’t want it.  I remember when the pump went on it...I called a place for a replacement part, I think it was a well named brand, just can’t remember it...and said I needed a pump for a such and such washer and they quoted me $39 for it...I described the machine to make sure it was the right part and he said oops, that’s for a full size machine...the pump for mine was $99.....  was a great little machine and so easy to do my laundry....hopefully for Nans sake they still make them...when not  in use was against the wall and used as a table top to put things on...lol

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2022, 01:33:28 AM »
That's about the same size as this one. And yep, that sounds a lot like this one!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gymax-17-6-lbs-Washer-Spinner-Compact-Portable-Washing-Machine-Twin-Tub-Home-Dorm/729149601 

I went a step down from the one that had a pump to empty the tubs and went with a gravity feed.  I'll have it up on an old coffee table and have a five gallon bucket for it to drain into in the kitchen if I use it in there, or it'll drain down the shower drain if I put it by the shower.

It's still on track to be here by Wednesday - it left Houston yesterday morning early.

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2022, 08:44:03 AM »
That's about the same size as this one. And yep, that sounds a lot like this one!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gymax-17-6-lbs-Washer-Spinner-Compact-Portable-Washing-Machine-Twin-Tub-Home-Dorm/729149601 

I went a step down from the one that had a pump to empty the tubs and went with a gravity feed.  I'll have it up on an old coffee table and have a five gallon bucket for it to drain into in the kitchen if I use it in there, or it'll drain down the shower drain if I put it by the shower.

It's still on track to be here by Wednesday - it left Houston yesterday morning early.

That will work great for you I think.

Ours was a Hoover twin tub from the 1960s. When we bought our first house in 1977 we also bought a 2nd hand one and it worked great.

https://ehive.com/collections/9664/objects/1083678

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2022, 10:06:20 PM »
Cool! I wish I could get that model!  I really don't like plastic. But on the other hand, it's very light so I shouldn't throw my back on it moving it around the house.

Edit - Wednesday night. It's not here, but its in NJ. It's come 1,700-ish miles so far by truck, so I guess it'll get to us tomorrow. If it hasn't had to change trucks, it's probably toodling down the NY Thruway right now and should be in town in an hour or two. And they'll load it onto the delivery truck in the morning. 

Made me realize how big this country is. I forget sometimes. I used to drive 1,500 miles between Texas to Caifornia (and back) to visit friends and relatives and just kind of got used to all that open space  - and there's some seriously "open" space out there. Anyone who tells you we are running out of room to accommodate more people in this country has never traveled in it. So Houston's kinda only really 1/2 the way across.... And also, how the hell are they making a profit, having to haul goods 1,700+ miles - after importing it from China in the first place? They must be selling for pennies in China!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 02:52:02 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2022, 02:23:41 AM »
It got here.

I love it!

I put some clothes in just for a rinse and soapsuds were coming out in the drain water. Apparently the washing machine downstairs isn't doing a very good job of rinsing!

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2022, 08:25:06 AM »
It got here.

I love it!

I put some clothes in just for a rinse and soapsuds were coming out in the drain water. Apparently the washing machine downstairs isn't doing a very good job of rinsing!

Excellent

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2022, 09:57:41 AM »

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2022, 12:03:05 AM »
Yeah, we've both been really itchy lately. I thought it was just nerves on my part. (My dumpster-fire of a desk has been going through a federal audit. Fun times - not!) The Daughter has a lot of allergies and so we thought it was just more of that with her. But it always seemed odd that when she wore anything that had, say, elastic in it that she'd have red welts wherever the elastic was. Or where something fit her tightly. Of course, given her dermatographism that wasn't all that concerning, but it's been a lot worse since we've been here. Now we are wondering if it isn't from left-over laundry soap in her clothes.  We use a "free and clear" variety - no dyes, no scent), so that hasn't been on our radar. 

I've been slowly going through all of our undies and jammies that we already have folded in the bureaus from our last trip to the laundry and rinsing them today. Almost all of them are rinsing soapy!  ::)  So it's good we got this machine. I'm now out of drying rack space, but once it frees up I'll continue on with the clothes we are most likely to wear soon, a little every day until they are all done. The stuff I did last evening is just about completely dry tonight. (!)

The connector they sent doesn't fit on either the bathroom sink or the kitchen sink tap. So I got an old turkey baster and cut an "x" in the bulb and stuck it over the tap, and jammed the other end in the plastic "fill" hose, and as long as I hold onto the bulb to keep it tight on the tap I can use the feature where you spin the laundry while running fresh water through it. (If the machine was lower than the tap it'd work without my having to hold it, I think.) Anyway, that really has helped getting the soap out. As has adding a small amount of white vinegar to the final rinse water.

When I was 15 if you would have told me that the high point of my week someday was going to be seeing clear water coming out of a washing machine after rinsing, I'd have definitely thought you were one taco short of a combination plate!  ;) ;D

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2022, 12:49:04 AM »
Definitely worth the money. ;D

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2023, 10:19:04 PM »
It has just officially paid for itself, and is going strong.

Sponsored Links