Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Visitor Oyster Card  (Read 2541 times)

• Liked: 674
Visitor Oyster Card
« on: October 22, 2022, 12:19:32 AM »
I have a visitor's Oyster Card from when we were visiting London a few years ago. One of my co-workers is going to visit London this December, and I thought I'd give her the card to take with her since I'm unlikely to need it anytime soon. In looking at the Oyster website, I don't see a way to find out if there are any funds remaining on the card. Does anyone know a way to do so that doesn't involve a trans-Atlantic phone call?

Thanks!

• Liked: 6110
Re: Visitor Oyster Card
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 06:13:21 AM »
I have a visitor's Oyster Card from when we were visiting London a few years ago. One of my co-workers is going to visit London this December, and I thought I'd give her the card to take with her since I'm unlikely to need it anytime soon. In looking at the Oyster website, I don't see a way to find out if there are any funds remaining on the card. Does anyone know a way to do so that doesn't involve a trans-Atlantic phone call?

Thanks!

It looks like you can use the app to check but not sure if you have a smart phone. Maybe your friend could check?

What happens if the money runs out on my Visitor Oyster card?

It’s easy to add more credit to your Visitor Oyster card* or Oyster card at:

Touchscreen ticket machines in Tube, DLR, London Overground and some National Rail stations
Oyster Ticket Stops across London
Transport for London Visitor Centres
London Overground station ticket offices
Download the TfL Oyster app to check your balance, add credit to your Oyster card, and buy 7 Day, Monthly and Annual Travelcards. If you have an Oyster card and are a UK resident, you can set up an Oyster online account and top up your card online. You can't top up Visitor Oyster cards online.

https://www.visitlondon.com/traveller-information/getting-around-london/oyster-faqs/how-to-use-your-card

Failing that, these US agents sell the cards, if they have access to the system, they may be able to help

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-and-where-to-buy-tickets-and-oyster/buying-tickets-and-oyster/buying-tickets-from-abroad#on-this-page-24

If neither of those work, message me the card details and I'll be happy to call from here for you. 

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 11:30:18 PM »
Thanks. From what I was able to tell I cannot set up an account for a Visitor Oyster Card. (A regular one, yes, but not the Visitor variety.) I also cannot recharge it from overseas.

I know how to check and reload them once in-country, but I'd like to be able to tell the young lady if there is any money still on it before she needs it.

I've emailed a vendor in the USA and we'll see what they say. 

• Liked: 718
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 09:46:36 AM »
If all else fails then a contactless card works just fine, include US contactless cards and also Apple and Google Pay.  You must use the same card during the day to get the price and zone caps.  We no longer bother messing with the Oyster cards but if you have one with money left on it then it is well worth trying to use it. I do have a US contactless credit card with no foreign transaction fees, so that is something to definitely be aware of, but then again putting money on an Oyster card with a foreign credit or debit card has the same issue.

Good article here on the subject
https://www.findingtheuniverse.com/pay-public-transport-london-oyster-contactless-best/

Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 01:56:06 PM »
So, it's not doable. Here is the reply I got:

Thank you for getting in touch with the VisitBritain Shop team. Unfortunately, it is not possible to check the credit remaining on a visitor Oyster card outside of London. When you arrive in London, you will be able to check the credit and, if necessary, add additional credit to your Oyster cards using the yellow cards readers located in all Tube stations in London.  If you have any further questions please do respond to this email - alternatively you may find the information you need in our FAQ’s section: https://www.visitbritainshop.com/world/help/

Alternatively, you can give us a phone call on 0151 805 0395 [Mon-Sun, from 9:00 am to 5.30 pm. Standard call charges apply. Check with your network provider].  I hope this information is helpful and wish you a wonderful time in the UK.

Kind regards

Paul
E-commerce Operations Executive

Never miss What's New on the VisitBritain Shop!

VisitBritain, 3 Grosvenor Gardens, Victoria, London SW1W 0BD
For inbound tourism: W: www.visitbritain.org |
For destination inspiration: W: www.visitbritain.com | Facebook: LoveGreatBritain

• Liked: 718
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 02:06:44 PM »
I would simply give her the card and she can find out how much is on it when she arrives. Another advantage of using a regular contactless debit or credit card is that you’ll never leave money on it, and never have to worry about topping it up.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 107
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2022, 09:05:08 AM »
You will not get cheaper (and more convenient) than using your regular debit or credit card, providing it's contactless.

When I'm in London and in a rush I even use my Apple Watch. So quick, convenient and cheap. This is all providing their cards are setup to work abroad, of course and fees are minimum. If fees are large then it may be worth topping up the Oyster card in significantly less transactions. However, you may end up not using the top up.

They'll have to weigh up fees vs how likely they are to use remaining Oyster balance.
Feb 2014 - Married
29/04/2014 - Spouse Application Approved
02/05/2014 - Visa Received
09/01/2017 - FLR(M) Granted
22/07/2019 - ILR Granted
05/05/2022 - Citizenship

• Liked: 342
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2022, 01:37:25 AM »
You will not get cheaper (and more convenient) than using your regular debit or credit card, providing it's contactless.

Some discount railcards can be linked to an Oyster Card, to get cheaper fares.
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/national-railcard-discount?intcmp=54723

When did you buy your Oyster Card Nan?  You might have a £5 deposit waiting to be reclaimed. You could have just used your Oyster for your London visit and then requested your £5 back after your trip.

If you bought it after February 2020, tfl changed the rules for the £5 Oyster Card deposit. After 1 year of the Oyster Card being activated, the £5 is put as a credit on the Oyster Card. Not so good for those that are visiting the UK. 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 01:52:13 AM by Sirius »

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2022, 01:43:58 PM »
Yep, I know, thanks!  We left in Fall of 2020, and were locked down most of that year, so I think it was probably 2019 when we bought it. I know I could have gotten the refund back, but was holding onto it in case... which is highly unlikely now. But, worst case, it was a souvenir.

If memory serves we got some nice "two-for-one" entrance fees and discounts on food. But that might have been with the train ticket - it's been too long to remember now. I think there was about 2 pounds left on it, so if they've added 5 more, at least she can take a bus ride. She'll be staying with a friend from school who is from the general London area, so I'm sure they'll find a use for it.  In any event, she was thrilled to have it - made her upcoming trip seem more real.  ;D  She's never been to the UK before. (I just hope there's no transport strikes on when she's there.)

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2022, 11:34:06 PM »
Well, she's been over there for a week now, and hopefully is having a good time and not freezing her nethers off.  ;D

Hopefully, too, she can get back to the airport when she needs to come home in a couple of days.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2022, 06:07:19 PM »
Well, she's been over there for a week now, and hopefully is having a good time and not freezing her nethers off.  ;D

Hopefully, too, she can get back to the airport when she needs to come home in a couple of days.
  If she's really stuck, I'll help her if I can.  Just PM me

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2022, 11:16:25 PM »
Thanks for the offer. I have heard nothing from her in a few days, so hopefully she's in the sky over the Atlantic right now.

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2022, 12:26:41 AM »
She made it home. Flew in on Tuesday. (I thought it was to be Wednesday.) They had some problems getting the tube out to Heathrow, but left many hours early and got through all the "stuff" with an hour and a half before her flight.

She just loved London, and apparently had a great time.

(I wanna go!)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab