Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Becoming a UK citizen ... will it make renewing a US passport difficult?  (Read 833 times)

• Liked: 2
I am sure this issue has come up many times before, but I couldn't see any recent posts and I'd appreciate any help/thoughts ...

My wife is a US citizen and has lived in the UK for 8 years (currently with indefinite leave to remain as a spouse).  I am a UK citizen and our 3 kids have dual nationality.  The whole visa/passport thing has been incredibly easy so far ... but ....

We are worried that if I drop dead tomorrow, her right to remain in the UK could be called into question?  She would also like to be able to vote in UK elections and have 'Her Britannic Majesty' keeping an eye on her!!!  So, she plans to apply for a UK passport.

Will this in any way create problems in renewing her US passport (last renewed at the US Embassy in London in 2003)??  The last thing she wants is to have to somehow 'give up' her US citizenship by becoming a UK citizen.

So, does anyone have any experiences to share on this issue?

Re: Becoming a UK citizen ... will it make renewing a US passport difficult?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 01:19:35 PM »
She won't have to give up citizenship. Many here are duals, including myself.

To the mods, we ought to have a sticky on this question since it gets routinely asked, maybe?

• Wishstar
  • Fully Certified British Citizen

• Supplier of useless knowledge
    • An American in London
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 01:32:00 PM »
Done!

• Banned

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 01:01:21 PM »
When renewing the US passport,  just strike out the declaration that you have not naturalised as a foreign citizen, and attach an explanation that you did not intend to relinquish US citizenship by so doing. The new passport should be issued no problem.
Anyone with ILR can stay in the UK as long as they like (provided they do not spend more than 2 years outside the UK). If they got ILR via marriage to a Briton and are widowed or divorced, it makes no difference. They can stay in the UK.

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 01:19:56 PM »
When renewing the US passport,  just strike out the declaration that you have not naturalised as a foreign citizen, and attach an explanation that you did not intend to relinquish US citizenship by so doing.

And you have to provide a xerox copy of your naturalization certificate.

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 01:37:39 PM »
When I renewed my US passport two years ago at the US consulate in Munich (I was working in Germany at the time), I was nervous about this. I told them I had naturalised in the UK and tried to give them an "intent" letter and such. They said, we don't need any of that, they just had me strike out a portion of the application lingo and sign it, and pay them $80.

They didn't want to see the naturalisation certificate and they actually said "we don't need to see any of that documentation."

Passport was issued right away, no waits or further questions.

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 02:24:05 PM »
That was probably true a few years ago when you could do this in person, but the form explicitly asks for a copy and getting in person to the London Consulate is like getting into the Green Zone. I'd happily come down to London and do what misch did, but I'm not sure that it's possible any longer.

• Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 05:32:24 PM »
That was probably true a few years ago when you could do this in person, but the form explicitly asks for a copy and getting in person to the London Consulate is like getting into the Green Zone. I'd happily come down to London and do what misch did, but I'm not sure that it's possible any longer.

Only if you are traveling within two weeks. Passports are no longer issued same day unless you need an emergency passport. All full validity passports are printed back in the states due to the new syle of passport. The London embassy handels so many people that try to make it so that those we don't really need to see send their applications through the post. You would be sat in the building for hours other wise only to be told your passport will be mailed out to you in two weeks time.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab