Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: US Taxes in UK  (Read 1097 times)

• Liked: 5
US Taxes in UK
« on: January 20, 2023, 07:34:01 PM »
Hello,

I am very confused and overthinking about how to file taxes from abroad. A little help or clarification would be very helpful!

When I file taxes, I was self employed in the US before arriving in the UK, so when filing for US Taxes, can I just file federal and state as married filing separately? it pops up as errors because I am putting my husband as nonresident alien since he is a british national and does not have a ssn to enter. Do I have to print out my tax forms and fill them in, and mail them? I talked to a tax expert and they suggested writing a cover letter.

I saw H&R Block has expat tax software and there is also a software called expat file. I am not familiar with filing as an expat, but I am thinking that is what I need to do since the expat software does not ask for spouse SSN.

Any tips or advice regarding my situation? Does anyone else e-file or do you need to print and send it in manually? Where do you send it? Does the tax program work the same as the US where you pay for filing and the taxes you owe all online on the same website?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 01:47:55 PM by mattandliz »

• Liked: 3
Re: US Taxes in UK
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2023, 07:15:12 AM »
I am in the same situation: filing as "married, filing seperately" with a Non-resident Alien (NRA) spouse living with me in the UK who has no connection to the US tax system.

I use turbotax but I have never been able to file electronically with a missing tax ITAN. I print the forms with a fake SSN, cross it out and put NRA in the form and mail them in. Not sure you even need a cover letter (unless it is part of first filing with the streamlined program), it's completely legitimate to have an NRA spouse with no SSN, just a quirk of the online system that it doesn't accept e-filing with this.

In previous years this was a limitation on the IRS side so I thought there was no way around it, but I have seen some posts on other forums now saying that other providers (maybe the expattaxes you mention, but I'm not sure) do somehow support efiling with an NRA spouse.

• Liked: 102
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2023, 09:16:20 AM »
It is not entirely clear why non-UK self-employment might make any difference. In terms of an NRA spouse, please follow pages 12-13 of the official IRS 1040 instructions: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040gi.pdf
Hello,

I am very confused and overthinking about how to file taxes from abroad. A little help or clarification would be very helpful!

When I file taxes, I was self employed in the US before arriving in the UK, so when filing for US Taxes, can I just file federal and state as married filing separately? it pops up as errors because I am putting my husband as nonresident alien since he is a british national and does not have a ssn to enter. Do I have to print out my tax forms and fill them in, and mail them? I talked to a tax expert and they suggested writing a cover letter.

I saw H&R Block has expat tax software and there is also a software called expat file. I am not familiar with filing as an expat, but I am thinking that is what I need to do since the expat software does not ask for spouse SSN.

Any tips or advice regarding my situation? Does anyone else e-file or do you need to print and send it in manually? Where do you send it? Does the tax program work the same as the US where you pay for filing and the taxes you owe all online on the same website?

• Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2023, 06:55:01 PM »
In previous years this was a limitation on the IRS side so I thought there was no way around it, but I have seen some posts on other forums now saying that other providers (maybe the expattaxes you mention, but I'm not sure) do somehow support efiling with an NRA spouse.
TaxAct allows efiling as MFS with 'NRA' for a spouse's SSN.

• Liked: 424
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2023, 08:27:24 PM »
So does Online Taxes

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2023, 04:27:59 PM »
TaxAct allows efiling as MFS with 'NRA' for a spouse's SSN.
I used expat file tax and was able to e file for federal MFS and put NRA for spouse. Good to know tax act does too! Does tax act do state E-filing & allow you to put NRA for state? My issue was the state tax wouldn't allow me to put NRA when e filing.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2023, 04:29:36 PM »
So does Online Taxes

Is it "on-line taxes?" Both state & federal with NRA?

• Liked: 424
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2023, 05:09:25 PM »
Yes it is On-Line Taxes. I e-filed my Federal but my state (Colorado) doesn’t allow e-file for NRA

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2023, 06:13:25 PM »
Yes it is On-Line Taxes. I e-filed my Federal but my state (Colorado) doesn’t allow e-file for NRA

Okay, I had to mail my state as well. I filed my federal with expat file tax.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2023, 06:58:10 PM »
I used expat file tax and was able to e file for federal MFS and put NRA for spouse. Good to know tax act does too! Does tax act do state E-filing & allow you to put NRA for state? My issue was the state tax wouldn't allow me to put NRA when e filing.
Don't know; I've never filed state tax.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab