Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I'm a citizen now and still have a couple of questions, please  (Read 607 times)

• Liked: 4
Hello all

I attended the ceremony yesterday. It was a big group and took about an hour to get through with the time it took everyone got checked in and seated.
Thanks for all your help through this journey so far.

My timeline:

LITUK test 21 Nov
Biometrics 23 Dec
Citizenship ceremony 1 Mar

Now I am left with a couple of questions. I don't have a biometric card to cut up and return but they request any other documents be sent for cancellation. Would I be correct to assume this means my original paper visa in my old US passport? If so would I send the entire old passport?

And secondly. if I may. the letter given at the ceremony said an interview may be required for a new passport. Has anyone had to do that?

Often we do what makes sense even when it isn't any good.

• Liked: 1891
Re: I'm a citizen now and still have a couple of questions, please
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2023, 08:50:55 AM »
I didn't have to have any interview when I got my first UK passport.  I also wouldn't bother sending in any old passports.  Your interaction with the immigration authorities are over, they don't have any more power over you.  You are are British and they can piss right off. 

• Liked: 134
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2023, 01:19:24 PM »
I had to do an interview for my first UK Passport in October. It was all straight forward. I just had to be in a room by myself with no other equipment turned on. The man asked me lots of questions about my life in the UK. I think it's basically to ensure that I am who I say I am. The notification that my passport application had been approved came within 10 minutes of the interview (done via Teams). Don't stress too much about it if they do ask you for one.
Met Mr. Beatlemania: 20 Jan 2010
Tier 4 Visa Approved: 17 Sep 2012
Spousal Visa Received:  22 Sep 2014
Ohio to Essex: 26 October 2014
FLR(M): 10 May 2017
ILR: 23 October 2019
Citizenship: 6 September 2022

• Liked: 387
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2023, 01:28:46 PM »
I had to attend an interview for my first UK passport. As Beatlemania said, it wasn't anything to stress about - just a collection of super easy questions to confirm your identity. Think questions like: How do you spell your last name? When did you move to the UK? What's your mother's name? What's your partner's name? What's your address? Do you work in the UK? Who is your employer?

Nothing to trick you out, just questions to confirm you are who you say you are.

• Liked: 52
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 04:00:46 PM »
Hello Jetlag,

Thanks for your timeline; when did you submit your UK citizenship application?  I know of people who sent their UK citizen application in April 2022; they have tried several times to get an update on where things stand but had no luck.  Thx!

• Liked: 4
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 03:42:17 PM »
I filled it out in November, about 3-4 weeks before the biometric appointment where they did the final submission.
Often we do what makes sense even when it isn't any good.

Sponsored Links