Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: A few questions before I move over the UK regarding a few different topics  (Read 2265 times)

• Liked: 0
Hello,

My Fiancé visa has been approved ( a bit earlier than the planned timing on the application as well as I applied in November and received it just last month)  I will be moving over to the UK to get married to My Fiancé at the end of this month/first week of April and switching to the FLR or Spouse visa after the marriage has taken place (June8th as the earliest we could give notice was May 9th). So here goes the few things I'm a bit conflicted on.

1. Do I need to get my fiancé visa stamped at border control when I arrive at the airport? The vignette I received has the valid from/to date and it has been valid since last month. The lawyer we use wasn't sure on this one and said yes just in case as well as UKVI then another UKVI said to contact border control to ask... and that number is just to report abuse... so that was a dead end. We will also be going to Italy for honeymoon as soon as we have the marriage certificate, is there any issues with this as I'd still be on the Fiancé Visa but would be married and with certificate in tow.

2. Since I will be switching to the Spouse visa from within the UK is there any sort of stamp/or date I would need to prove for ILR later on? Not sure how this would be possible though being that I would receive everything from within the UK.

3. Taxes.... I would not be able to apply for a new social security card from the US side like I had thought, I didn't realize you had to go to a FBU place in the UK. The list of required documents however, I won't have nearly half of them ( I have no driver's license) and another is would be that my passport I will need to send out again for the Spouse visa, All I have is two expired permits and an expired New York state ID card as well as a Passport Card.

So with that said..... 4. Can I do next years taxes in my maiden name for the USA if I have not changed my social security number even after I am married? Also on that note, will I need to do UK taxes? I only have my USA bank which I will be keeping for at least a couple of years but I am not currently employed or anything.

Thank you to anyone who can advise it's very confusing for me.

• Liked: 6110
Hello,

My Fiancé visa has been approved ( a bit earlier than the planned timing on the application as well as I applied in November and received it just last month)  I will be moving over to the UK to get married to My Fiancé at the end of this month/first week of April and switching to the FLR or Spouse visa after the marriage has taken place (June8th as the earliest we could give notice was May 9th). So here goes the few things I'm a bit conflicted on.

1. Do I need to get my fiancé visa stamped at border control when I arrive at the airport? The vignette I received has the valid from/to date and it has been valid since last month. The lawyer we use wasn't sure on this one and said yes just in case as well as UKVI then another UKVI said to contact border control to ask... and that number is just to report abuse... so that was a dead end. We will also be going to Italy for honeymoon as soon as we have the marriage certificate, is there any issues with this as I'd still be on the Fiancé Visa but would be married and with certificate in tow.

2. Since I will be switching to the Spouse visa from within the UK is there any sort of stamp/or date I would need to prove for ILR later on? Not sure how this would be possible though being that I would receive everything from within the UK.

3. Taxes.... I would not be able to apply for a new social security card from the US side like I had thought, I didn't realize you had to go to a FBU place in the UK. The list of required documents however, I won't have nearly half of them ( I have no driver's license) and another is would be that my passport I will need to send out again for the Spouse visa, All I have is two expired permits and an expired New York state ID card as well as a Passport Card.

So with that said..... 4. Can I do next years taxes in my maiden name for the USA if I have not changed my social security number even after I am married? Also on that note, will I need to do UK taxes? I only have my USA bank which I will be keeping for at least a couple of years but I am not currently employed or anything.

Thank you to anyone who can advise it's very confusing for me.

Welcome to the forum.  :)

1- No,  it's a 6 month fixed period during which as you know, you have to apply for FLR(M)
You didn't used to be able to travel again on the fiancé visa but you can now, I believe.

2-Your date for ILR will be based on the approval date of your first FLR(M). Time on the fiancé visa doesn't count towards your 5 years.

3-You only need to apply for a new SS card if you intend to change your name. You don't need to do it right away, you can use your own name for as long as you like and change it later if you want to.

4-Your number doesn't change. If you do decide to change your name, that's all that would change on your card. You don't have to change your name now, so yes, you can do your US taxes in your maiden name.

Check here re UK taxes https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/who-must-send-a-tax-return
The UK tax year is April 6th to April 5th.

• Liked: 0
Thank you so much for your reply regarding that I feel a lot better about the whole thing.
I had read very conflicting information regarding going through the e-gates or not whilst on a fiance visa.
Then when I got to thinking about the snn and the name change my mind became even more frazzled, but then I got to thinking why should it be a problem if I just continued using my maiden name? I'll definately be filing seperately still. My Fiance and I spoke with one of the registars where we will be having our wedding ceremony and they will be issuing us the certificate by the following day that way we will have it on hand whilst traveling to Italy for our honeymoon and I will for the first time get to see where my great grandfather lived and came from as well.

I know I need to update the Irs before I leave with my new address as well as New York State my bank etc... I thought about the NYS Dmv but all I have is 2 expired permits and an expired non driver id so the local office I spoke with said that should not be a problem as I seem to have no other way of changing my address with them. ( I just use my passport and passport ID Card for everything) I never had a vehicle or anything in my name. I do worry  about Jury Duty later on down the road (although I'm not registered to vote) I voted once when I was in High School and I was selected about 6-7 years later for Grand Jury Duty. I've read NYS is pretty much very tough when it comes to proving you no longer maintain residence/presence there. I will not be informing USPS as my mail will continue to go to my parents house and I shouldn't have much coming in besides junk mail. Otherwise I think they charge you hefty to send things over.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for Private Health Insurance for the UK? I just need it for a couple of months 3-4. Also when is a good time to sign up with a GP? I've read it's probably not a good idea until your close to getting your spouse visa, but I could be wrong.

I will also eventually be relocating my rabbit over to the UK once I have received the spouse visa, that's a whole other process though.

As far as everything else, that's all been pretty much sorted out.

Sponsored Links