Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where do I begin..  (Read 590 times)

• Liked: 0
Where do I begin..
« on: March 24, 2023, 11:38:19 AM »
After losing my life partner (cancer) in July 2021, I moved back to the UK (after 39 years in the US) to live with and care for my v elderly parents. I have started taking SS, so have an income from that, and minimal outgoings here in UK. All my financial assets are in the US, and I don't know how to manage the dual tax situation, and whether to move the money over here.  I don't envisage moving back permanently to the US, as no family ties there. I am a dual citizen, somewhat reluctantly now.
Would appreciate input and ideas, thanks!

• Liked: 957
Re: Where do I begin..
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 12:15:03 PM »
After losing my life partner (cancer) in July 2021, I moved back to the UK (after 39 years in the US) to live with and care for my v elderly parents. I have started taking SS, so have an income from that, and minimal outgoings here in UK. All my financial assets are in the US, and I don't know how to manage the dual tax situation, and whether to move the money over here.  I don't envisage moving back permanently to the US, as no family ties there. I am a dual citizen, somewhat reluctantly now.
Would appreciate input and ideas, thanks!

I would recommend speaking to a dual qualified financial advisor. I've heard good things about Tanager Wealth, but there are a few others too. I'm very sorry for your loss.

• Liked: 716
Re: Where do I begin..
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 01:54:34 PM »
I’m sorry for your loss and understand your concerns about the tax situation.

I moved back after 30 years living in the USA and most of my income (pensions and SS) plus savings is in the USA. I manage it all from the UK easily enough but US taxes and financial reports are indeed troublesome, and being a USC places some severe restrictions on how much and where to keep your money in the UK so please take your time and consider the options before taking any actions.

Ask as many questions as you’d like, there are quite a few folks in similar situations.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links