Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Can I Join the AARP from the UK?  (Read 1085 times)

• Liked: 55
Can I Join the AARP from the UK?
« on: June 11, 2023, 07:45:59 PM »
Here's an odd one that hopefully someone can help with or advise.

I'm trying to join the AARP so that my wife & I can get discounts for our upcoming trip to the US (New England).

Unfortunately following the AARP website and trying to join (just $12 per year) is not easy - the UK (and the EU countries) are not shown as address options - I'm sure it's a data protection issue - virtually every other country in the world is listed - I can even join from Iran!

Is there a workaround? or can anyone suggest alternative memberships that offer good discounts?

• Liked: 719
Re: Can I Join the AARP from the UK?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 08:42:40 PM »
I used to be a member but gave it up long before we moved back. I found that I was never asked for proof to get the discounts, just simply had to ask if an establishment like a hotel or restaurant did discounts for members of the AARP or AA.

Good luck with joining.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 676
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2023, 12:45:24 AM »
https://help.aarp.org/s/

They have an international phone number for help, a chatbot, a live chat, etc., on this page.  I love the benefits - get great deals on cars and hotels, and a discount at places like Denny's (and have had to show the card at all those places).  Worth contacting them to check.  ;D

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 11:49:03 AM »
Good thinking, I’d forgotten about Dennys. We didn’t have one near us but often went there on our road trips after we retired. (They have a great seniors menu).

At $12/year it is good value and you get loads of magazines and news letters. I can’t imagine them mailing all that for overseas members but you never know.

ETA
I just attempted to join to see the restrictions and although I could select a country, United Kingdom or England was not an option, although United Arab Emirates was.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 11:54:06 AM by durhamlad »

• Liked: 676
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 12:31:26 PM »
I get all their literature online, I think.  There may be a quarterly magazine, but I could be confusing that with the AAA.

Got shoes recently at a discount, too. And of course, we were shopping at so many places I can't remember which one it was that gave us the discount. But 15% at Denny's was nice. Got 30% off a car rental last year, and hotel rooms can be cheaper, too, usually, on AARP.

There's an option to get your membership card digitally, I think. So if you have to use a USA relative's address to initially join....

• Liked: 55
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 05:17:57 PM »
I finally got on an online chat with them and got my answer - EU data protection laws prevent membership - no workaround unfortunately unless you have a US mailing address to recieve their memberhsip card and magazines.

Damn EU yet again! Seems discriminatory to me....... ::)

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 05:24:48 PM »
I finally got on an online chat with them and got my answer - EU data protection laws prevent membership - no workaround unfortunately unless you have a US mailing address to recieve their memberhsip card and magazines.

Damn EU yet again! Seems discriminatory to me....... ::)

The EU data protection laws are stronger than the US - I discovered this while working in IT for my Megacorp.  I guess it would cost AARP too much to enhance their own processes for the small business that AARP members living in the EU would bring in.

Sponsored Links