Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Non-USA travel as duel citizen  (Read 403 times)

• Liked: 56
Non-USA travel as duel citizen
« on: December 10, 2023, 05:57:01 PM »
Evening everyone.

There are a couple threads about traveling home to America as a dual citizen, but I wanted to ask about traveling anywhere else.

I'm a brand spankin' new duel citizen and we have just gotten my passport and booked a trip to Athens.

I know that I will need to use my new British passport for this trip as I have to re-enter the UK on it. But do I need to also bring my American one, or can I leave it safely at home?
Engaged: June 2014
Married: July 30 2014
Visa Application Received in UK: Nov. 27 2014
Visa granted: Dec 12 2014
Moves to UK: Jan 30th 2015

• Liked: 1892
Re: Non-USA travel as duel citizen
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2023, 06:44:23 PM »
I don't think there's any reason to have your US passport as well and it just makes it more likely to be lost or stolen.    It felt a little strange at first to travel on my UK passport but you'll get used to it.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2023, 12:02:25 PM »
Hi, there's no reason to take your US passport in Europe. I did recently read about a UK person whose flight back to the UK from Central America was unexpectedly re routed via US, and because the passenger didn't have an ESTA, the airline then refused passage.  So I'm think that if I ever have to go somewhere that might get re routed via USA, e.g. Canada, Caribbean, Central/South America, I'd take the US passport along just in case.

• Liked: 719
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2023, 02:25:58 PM »
I agree with the responses above, no need to carry 2 passports if you don’t need to. My son, a dual citizen living in England, is in Tokyo on holiday at present. When I picked him up to drive him to the airport a couple of days ago he lifted out his passport for the umpteenth time to check the expiration date and he said he was only taking his UK passport.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab