Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Do you report State Pension on FBAR  (Read 269 times)

• Liked: 0
Do you report State Pension on FBAR
« on: March 02, 2024, 04:13:35 PM »
Started to receive my UK state pension  last year.
Do I need to report the UK state pension on my FBAR?

• Liked: 719
Re: Do you report State Pension on FBAR
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2024, 05:32:04 PM »
I don’t report it. I have no  signature authority over it and it has no cash-in value.  When I die it goes away.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 12:45:06 PM »
Tkanks for the reply DurhamLad ....

Interestingly in doing some further research the IRS site
( https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/us-citizens-and-resident-aliens-abroad [nofollow]
 takes me to a page that has this

++++++++++++
Who Must File

A U.S. person, including a citizen, resident, corporation, partnership, limited liability company, trust and estate, must file an FBAR to report:

a financial interest in or signature or other authority over at least one financial account located outside the United States if
    the aggregate value of those foreign financial accounts exceeded $10,000 at any time during the calendar year reported.

Generally, an account at a financial institution located outside the United States is a foreign financial account. Whether the account produced taxable income has no effect on whether the account is a foreign financial account for FBAR purposes.

But, you don’t need to report foreign financial accounts that are:

Correspondent/Nostro accounts,
    Owned by a governmental entity,
    Owned by an international financial institution,
    Maintained on a U.S. military banking facility,
    Held in an individual retirement account (IRA) of which you’re an owner or beneficiary,
    Held in a retirement plan of which you’re a participant or beneficiary, or
    Part of a trust of which you’re a beneficiary, if a U.S. person (trust, trustee of the trust or agent of the trust) files an FBAR reporting these accounts.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So as  a State Pension is owned by a UK government entity  therefore no need to report on the FBAR.
Additionally, as I also have a couple of small pensions held in  local goverment retirement plans, it would seem that I dont have to report them either (although I did last year so intend to keep reporting them)

• Liked: 719
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 01:22:29 PM »

So as  a State Pension is owned by a UK government entity  therefore no need to report on the FBAR.
Additionally, as I also have a couple of small pensions held in  local goverment retirement plans, it would seem that I dont have to report them either (although I did last year so intend to keep reporting them)

Thanks for posting your research and confirming this.

I think that having reported those pensions you mentioned that I would also keep on reporting them for consistency since it costs nothing but a little time each year.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

Sponsored Links