Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Techno-phobe boss  (Read 777 times)

• Liked: 2
Techno-phobe boss
« on: January 20, 2005, 09:21:24 AM »
Has anyone ever dealt with this?  One of the directors here is a complete and total techno-phobe.  She won't THINK of getting a palm pilot -- and she says her mobile is ONLY for when her car breaks down. 

Her schedule is so complex that she really WOULD benefit from a palm pilot -- the look on her face when I said (Blackberry)  ??? -- she had less than NO idea what I was talking about.

I started sending her phone messages via email -- she was intrigued-- but then that's it. :-\\\\

I don't know what to do to try and get her in the groove.  ANY ideas?   [smiley=bomb.gif]

• Smiley Gifts World
  • Liked: 1
Re: Techno-phobe boss
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 09:31:36 AM »
Hmmmm--- I don't at all consider myself a techno-phobe but I could fit the description you just gave of your boss easily. I hate mobile phones--- I have one only since moving here and use it, but very sparingly. I just don't like them because I believe there are times that people shouldnt be able to reach me-- and they are way over used!

I love email-- can't I think it has saved hours of worktime that used to be used on the phone!

I think I would simply use the technology that she already has easily available to encourage her to see the ease of it--ie; the email. However; bottom line if she doesn't want to use it--- it's her choice. I had a work colleague who I knew I had to phone or wouldn't get a response because she just refused to check email regularly. We all have our odd things, and people just have to adapt at times.

I know it is frustrating--- but trying to change her will probably be even more frustrating!

Helena

• Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 09:38:42 AM »
I used to have a boss who was a major technophobe, she coulnd't even work her email, I used to have to show her how to do things like forward and add attachements all the time! Maybe you could suggest a nice course she could go on to learn about the new technologies? That is what my boss did in the end.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 12:19:55 PM »
My boss has a problem with email. She knows how to  use it, but she hates it. I've been reprimanded for having back and forth email conversations.  If an email conversation consists of more than two messages, she gets upset.  She wants discussions to take place in person or over the phone.  (I'm talking about normal business conversations, not giving out top secret information.)
Which is annoying because email is quick and convenient.  I've explained this to her but she won't see it my way.
And I obviously don't have a problem with having online conversations. That's how my fiance and I met.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 12:23:17 PM by sweetpeach »

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 12:44:53 PM »
My boss was like this as well, although not so bad as that. She simply wasn't into the new case management system.

I spoke to the IT manager about this and he told me that there no room for any solicitors in the firm who weren't willing to use the system. I relayed this to my boss and she's a pro on it.

It may seem like you're going over your bosses head on this but discuss it with your IT manager and ask them if they have any advice to lure your boss to the light, so to speak.

Also, if you want to put her on a Blackberry or whatnot, set out a presentation to show her how easy it would be (and how beneficial and time saving etc ) and let her know that you'd be there 110% if she had problems.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 12:59:21 PM »

Hmmm...the Blackberry. At first I thought that was cool until I saw one of my collegues with a mobile phone in a holder on one hip and the Blackberry in a holder on the other. As she was replying on the Blackberry...her mobile was going off. Too much technology  can be a bad things ometimes and you become a slave to it..... :o

I feel too wired with a laptop and mobile phone...that's as far as I can go. I don't want to be available 24/7.  I guess in today's age...its hard to draw the line sometimes on what is actually enough.

Julie

Sponsored Links