Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Work Permit Dependant??? Please help!  (Read 703 times)

• Liked: 0
Work Permit Dependant??? Please help!
« on: January 26, 2005, 10:32:47 PM »
Hi,

I'm quite confused and hope someone can give me a definitive answer on this.  I was just approved for a Work Permit Dependant visa, but I'm not sure if I am am able to work under it.  It isn't marked with any restrictions/notes other than "No recourse to public funds," which I think is standard on a Work Permit visa.  I wasn't able to find anything conclusive on this.  Please provide info if you can tell me something from either personal experience or first-hand knowledge.  Thanks so much!

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Work Permit Dependant??? Please help!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 09:18:17 AM »
Yes, you can work.  If it doesn't say you can't, you can!  Confusing enough?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 01:36:21 PM »
Thanks!  That was my understanding, but I couldn't find anything explicit to back that up.  Silly me. :)

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 01:37:47 PM »
If you couldn't work, your visa would say "No work or recourse to public funds".

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 08:13:21 PM »
I had the same question, I just got my visa and was equally confused!!  We concluded(assumed) that "no recourse to public funds" meant welfare.  Right? 

I'm glad I found this post, and I'm glad I'm not the only one with a silly question!! [smiley=blush.gif]

• Liked: 14
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 08:39:47 PM »
Yep you can work. However you can only work for the company/organisation .. that sponsered you for the work permit.. If you find you hate the job you can't just change jobs. You have to find another job that is willing to sponser another work permit..
I had a 4 year work permit initially.. worked for the Trust(NHS) for 3 years.. Found another private company willing to take on a work permit.. stayed there for another year and half.. By that time i'd been here 4 and half years and had gotten my ILR before leaving that job. so once i had that i can work for whomever i like.. Nice not being tied to a work permit i'll have to say..Especially if you don't like the job or work environment.
Kaylesh

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 09:01:03 PM »
The work permit holder's dependent (spouse/partner) can work anywhere - there is no restriction on them.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab