Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My national Insurance Number Interview...  (Read 29154 times)

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
My national Insurance Number Interview...
« on: June 17, 2003, 10:28:27 AM »
I'm leaving for it in 2 hours! I didn't start worrying and getting scared until ast night and couldn't sleep. I know there's not a lot to worry about, I have all the documents they want, but *still*... might not stop them from being jerks. Anyway, I'll post my experience when it happens, for right now I'm off to take a shower and burn some candles to calm my nerv-a-licious nerves.  ::)
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

Re: My national Insurance Number Interview...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2003, 11:14:55 AM »
Hi Sara!
I hope you did get some sleep in the end...I know I tend to work myself into such a state that I can't sleep - then I'm totally wasted for a few days! *HUGS*

I just wanted to relate my NI# story to you- in hopes of helping to calm you!  :) I moved over in the month of December and it took me until Feb to get my appt. We went into social services and because there isn't a reception desk, sat down with everyone else and waited for a bit for someone to call me for my appt. They didn't.  ;) I finally asked the security guard what the procedure was and he mentioned to one of the clerks that I was there with an appt hehe

Ok- so basically I went in and the interviewer looked over my paperwork, occasionally looking up at me to make me feel nervous, and was SO quiet that there was an air of importance in the room. An air of importance that *she* put on herself...because it was really such a quick thing. Look through, ask a question, sigh some papers, "We'll get back to you. You should expect your National Insurance card in 6 months or so"

I got mine 2.5 months later! Easy peasy  ;D

I absolutely understand the whole fear of the unknown with these bureaucratic monsters hehe but try not to fret too much, ok?

Jen :)

• Unavailable for Comment.
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2003, 11:54:52 AM »
Oh yeah, I just got my number on Saturday. The card will be here in a few months, but at least I can start using my new handy dandy number.

The interview was nothing. The woman I was with was a bit prejudice, but not to me, to the other people there "at least you're not one of THOSE people... you know... the kind that like to live off the dole"... Um.... right.

It was easy peasy and nothing to be nervous of. You're working, what are they going to say? No? I don't think so.

[smiley=hug.gif] It's not the funnest thing to do, but you'll be okay.
There are two things in life for which we are never truly prepared:  twins.

• The Key to life is making the best of change.
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2003, 03:25:29 PM »
Hello,

Can anyone tell me what you needed to recieve your National Insurance Number?  Did anyone try and obtain a temp NIN?  If you did go for your temp. NIN what was needed there?

Sorry not to hijack your post but I am wondering.  

Cheers   [smiley=daisy.gif]
We all have shadows of self doubt in the corners of our beings self respect is an ongoing prcoess of vigilance.  It means learning to be able to live by an internal compass. - Sara Lawrence Lightfoot

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2003, 03:42:03 PM »
I'm leaving for it in 2 hours! I didn't start worrying and getting scared until ast night and couldn't sleep. I know there's not a lot to worry about, I have all the documents they want, but *still*... might not stop them from being jerks. Anyway, I'll post my experience when it happens, for right now I'm off to take a shower and burn some candles to calm my nerv-a-licious nerves.  ::)

I also wanted to let you know that I sent out happy vibes for you.  Not sure if I was in time but I am sure you will obtain the number and all will be right with the world.  

Cheers  [smiley=daisy.gif]
We all have shadows of self doubt in the corners of our beings self respect is an ongoing prcoess of vigilance.  It means learning to be able to live by an internal compass. - Sara Lawrence Lightfoot

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2003, 04:24:27 PM »
Well I just got back. That was more thorough and time consuming, by FAR, than getting my visas ever was.  [smiley=bleck.gif]

Here's the documentation I brought:
The letter the DPW sent me
Marriage Certificate
Birth Certificate
Bank Statements showing my current address (my US bank)
Abbey National Opening Account Receipt (since I don't have a statement yet)
Contract of Employment
Passport with FLR visa stamp
Home Office Documents (from when I got my FLR saying I can work)

Got to the office, she took my paperwork and went into a different room with them to make copes. In the meantime I filled out a form stating my name, birthday, address, phone, marriage information, if I've ever taken public assistance, and all the dates I've ever arrive & left the UK *unless* the trip outside the UK was less than a month (ie going to the states for a week), and if it was my first time applying for a number. She called me into the office and I had to sign and date every copy she had just made, which was a lot since she photocopied every page of my passport, etc. Then she began to fill out this huge form in front of me. Most of it was info that I had filled in on the mini-form she gave me before, so I didn't know why I even had to fill that out.  ::) Then she wanted dates of every time I had left the UK since I 1st arrived here, even if it was only for a weekend. That took some serious thinking. So after all that ordeal she filled out this big form but only put down the times I had left the country for a month or longer (which I had ALREADY filled out in the previous form which was an obvious waste of time and evergy), so that whole brain picking was for nothing. Sigh. The whole process lasted an hour. Oh, she also wanted to know about all my flights, if they were direct flights, which airline and airports I used, if I flew economy... so I finally walked out of there an hour alter with a little piece of paper confirming I had my appointment, and said I'd get my number in a few weeks but wouldn't get the card for a few months (she said 3). So there, that's my story! [smiley=book.gif]

MoiNouvelle: Here's the procedure, you get a job and the bookeeper or personnel dept. can assign you a temp number because it's basically just a formula of a few numbers, your birthday, etc - Or you can call the NI people and apply for one while you're looking for work as long as you show proof that you're really looking - then they'll give you your temp number. When you make your appointment they mail you a list of everything you have to bring, and that's it. You get it a while later, assuming everything was fine. Hope that helps. :)

And thanks Ashley and Jenny and Moi for your vibes, I needed them!  

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2003, 04:48:57 PM »
Good grief, Sara!

I honestly didn't think they would make it such an ordeal for you! I'm thinking that some people just thrive on power trips, don't you think?

*VERY* glad you survived unscathed- and that you'll be getting your NI # soon! Well done!

Getting excited about your trip home?  :D

Jenny :)

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2003, 06:31:52 PM »
I can sympathesize with the NI ordeal. I was well into my 2nd job when I finally got an appt. for the interview. Because of the listing of comings and goings over the 2 years since my arrival, I made the mistake of using the stamps on my passport to come up with all the times I had left the country (quite a few if you count France, Amsterdam, etc, etc). Each time I made an error, instead of just initialing, I had to sign my name. I submitted it with the corrected dates and was called back a few weeks later to re-do the entire package"!" All in all, it took me 3 trips to get my NI number. A lot more grilling than my visa EVER was!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2003, 11:21:18 PM »
Wow, you guys have had very different experiences than my DH did getting his NI number.  He already had his Work Permit and a temp. NI number.  He did have to bring a lot of documentation, but his interview only lasted about 1/2 hour, and he got his card w/in 2 weeks.  So, not every NI experience is horrible!

Stephanie

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2003, 11:33:51 PM »
I got my national insurance number in October.  The interview lasted well over an hour and was very thorough.  I have to admit I found it very stressful.  I had to go through all the times I had left the country etc. for the last thirteen years!  Plus they were asking alot of questions which I felt were unneccasary since I've lived here legally all this time.  They also wanted to see my husbands passport, fortunately I was able to argue this since I didn't have it with me and my status is no longer dependent on his.  Anyway, it was not a situation I'd like to go through again.  

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2003, 11:19:21 AM »
Wow... so much to look forward to.

Congratulations Marlespo!  You still remain my model.  You're two steps ahead of me, which is nice, because I just keep an eye on you and I know what I have to do next! :-)

I'm glad you finally got it done.  Congrats!   [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2003, 01:43:41 PM »
Congratulations Marlespo!  You still remain my model.  You're two steps ahead of me, which is nice, because I just keep an eye on you and I know what I have to do next! :-) I'm glad you finally got it done.  Congrats!   [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thanks!  [smiley=wacko.gif] What a sweet thing to say - let's just both hope I don't screw up massively and forget what the next step is! ;)

And thanks everyone for the congrats, I do feel so much more "official" living here now and it still tears me up to even think of ever having to leave for David's job  - but there you go. Love it here and will enjoy it while it lasts, NIN and all!!! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who went through a hassle, and also glad it wasn't hard for everyone! Seems like it's similar to experiences going through Immigration at an airport, it just *really* depends on who you get. Is it a caring rule-follower who takes individual curcumstances into concideration and doesn't automatically assume you're the devil, or is it a mean rule-follower who wants to play God and make you squirm?  ::)

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2003, 11:03:19 AM »
Hello Marlespo,

Congradulations.  I am glad they gave you the number.   ;D

Also thank you for the information.  But if it is just as hard as the immigration than I am nervous.  Immigration is not going well at all.   :(  But at least you have it now and I hope they cannot take it back.  As a side question now that you have the NIH Number if you move back to the states and then come back here will it still be in operation?  Just wondering.

Cheers   [smiley=daisy.gif]

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2003, 07:32:06 PM »
As far as I know and what I've been told, the your National Insurance Number stays with you for life, like a Social Security Number, and can't be taken away - I'm guessing there is some kinf of law that says you can have it revoked if you turn out to be an international, murderous spy - but normally, no, it's your for life. :) Good vibed to you on Immigration as well... I know how horrible that can be. :(

• You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2003, 05:49:08 PM »
Here's my humble experience:

I called sometime the last week of May to see about getting an appointment.  I explain that I'm not working yet, but that I am seeking employment and have had an interview and have documentation of all my job hunting (I am positively anal when it comes to this kind of record-keeping - good thing!).  The lady I spoke to was great and told me no problem, she could tentatively schedule me for the 9th of June (1-1/2 weeks later).  It was tentative because there were already two people scheduled and that's all they do at one time.  But she said she recognised their names and would be very surprised either of them showed up, much less both.  So she put me in in case they didn't.

I was a little early so sat and waited.  When the interviewers came in, I explained that I was there to be seen only if someone didn't show up.  The guy waited until 1.30 on the dot, then told me he would take care of me.  He asked me questions and filled in my form for me.  Went through my job-hunting documentation, my passport, my letter from the Home Office, my marriage certificate.  Had to note all the variations of my name on said documents - full name, maiden name, new married name, etc. - and took copies of passport, responses from prospective employers, and letter from Home Office.

Then someone else had to look it all over once we were done.  She okayed it - we all initialled every page he'd copied and I signed the form he'd filled out for me.  All in all, it took a little less than an hour.  He said I'd get my number (which it's my understanding is my actual number, not a temporary one) in about 3 weeks, but to call in 6 if I didn't have it.  He also told me he'd heard some people were getting discriminated against if they didn't already have NI numbers when looking for work, so he told me to keep my "receipt" to show that I'd applied until I got the number.

And in today's mail - lo and behold - is my new NI number!  Exactly 2 weeks from my application.  FINALLY, something went smoothly!!!!!   ;D

That's my story - and I'm sticking to it!!

And on the job hunt front - three interviews scheduled over the next two weeks - and just got an intriguing call from someone I interviewed twice with who then sent me a rejection letter just last week...hmmm....
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

Sponsored Links