Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: American Electronics in the UK and my car  (Read 2070 times)

American Electronics in the UK and my car
« on: February 02, 2005, 05:08:43 AM »
I'm moving to the UK in April/05 due to a corporate relocation.
I've got two questions and here they are.

1. I have a 04 Hummer, are the garages there on average large enough to fit it or will I need to build a barn?

2. I realize I can't take my televisions or small appliances. Any known costs on power convertors for my computers, monitors, and printers? I've called Dell and Sony, but get little assistance.

One last question, should I bring my barbecue grill and is propane readily available?

Thanks again for your help,
- Michael (From Houston)

• If it were easy, you wouldn't appreciate it
    • Just Frances
  • Liked: 0
Re: American Electronics in the UK and my car
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 05:28:38 AM »
Um, right.  I'd worry about the size of the roads with a steriod-pumped rig like that.  Also, the cost of fuel.

That said, I suppose that there are places outside of the cities that may have aircraft hangars, err, I mean large garages for a Hummer.  I'm not familiar with London area parking garages, but I doubt many of them I've seen in Edinburgh would work...

As for PC stuff, many (maybe most?) have built in converters and all you need to do is purchase a new power cord (less than $20 on average).  I use Dell and HP products and had/have no problems at all.

No clue on the BBQ grill et al.

Good luck with the move!  I'm sure you will find this place to be a wealth of knowledge!

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 06:07:28 AM »
Do you mean garages at home, or public parking garages?
I assume you mean at home, in which case you should know that most houses dont have them at all.
However, as youre on a corporate relocation, (I'm reading 'big bucks' here...) you will probably be able to get anything  you want..

If i were you, i would sell or leave the Hummer at home... dont bring it.  Most people wont be impressed... they'll think you're an idiot.  Those vehicles are just too big for the narrow roads here.  I used to have a Nissan Patrol, and remember a few sticky situations where i didnt think i was going to fit it between bollards, etc.   

And someone mentioned the cost of fuel... I'm sure our petrol costs AT LEAST double, if not more, than what it costs in the States.

I dont think it would be worthwhile to bring the rig.

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 07:47:41 AM »
If you are going to London there is pretty much no way to fit through most of the streets there - unless you plan on sticking to very main roads...and even then it'll be tough.  Nope - ditch the vehicle as it will not only look ridiculous here (believe me, there is a lot of people against 'regular' sized SUVs in London & they are going to be taxing them up the wazzoo) but won't work so well for you in the narrow streets.

I remember someone else posting about a grill...use the search engine on here and you'll find your answer.

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 07:56:24 AM »
I brought my grill, but there is no need-the UK has ample supplies of different sizes of grills and propane is readily available at most garden centres and DIY stores (B&Q).

I've seen one hummer here- used as a limo...........and it couldn't even turn corners here if there was another car on the corner! The guy down the road from me had an extended cab Chevy Dually and he finally had to sell it, as it was impossible to park most of the time :(  Even if the company is paying for the transportation, IMHO, its a moot point and a waste of $$/££.

• Hi there.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 08:42:19 AM »
 - I have a Mercedes ML and find that to be big for the roads and the parking garages (squeeze into most).  I think the Hummer would be next to impossible.  Many of the parking garages are also extremely narrow.  Many of the roads are so narrow that you can only pass 1 car at a time (b/c there are cars parked on either side).  I also agree with the danger of a US drive car on the UK roads.  (BTW - gas is about $5.75 / gallon -- costs me $80 - $90 USD to fill the tank)

I would also confirm you can get your Hummer serviced in the UK.

I realize you are from Texas; but in the UK - garage = small building to store everything that won't fit into your house.  If you can get your car into the garage- usually there is no room for you to squeeze out of the car.  These are the smallest most useless things I have ever seen --- think of it as a glorified garden shed.  Get ready to downsize everything from the sprawling of Texas.

- BBQ - if you are doing a corp reloc -- bring the BBQ!  We have a huge stainless steel BBQ we brought along.  Don't bring the propane tank -- they can't fill them over here.  You will have to get a new hose (from a gas supply company) with the correct regulator for the UK propane tanks.

- Electronics - most Dells are duo-voltage compat. 
         on the tower - there is a red switch by the power button which needs to flipped.
         confirm the monitor is dual-voltage
         I bought UK power cords in the US before coming over -- one less thing to have to run around and find.
         currently running my printer off a transformer but some are dual voltage.

- Other electronics - I bought 2 (1500 and 2000) step-down transformers and run some stuff off them
          - stereo - some stereos also have a switch in the back for dual-voltage.
          - skip bringing the television b/c not only is there an electrical difference, the image is distributed in a different electronic format.  We bought a large NEC plasma monitor (does not contain a tuner) which is dual-voltage then we use the tuner from the satellite box.  BTW - the monitor would have been much cheaper to buy in the US!  Since it is a monitor is can play anything/format we want on it ... could even double as a computer monitor.  I think Sony makes one with a center channel already built-in; but much more expensive.
          - skip the DVD - buy a multi-regional one over here
          - skip anything that heats (coffee machine; microwave) and skip the vacuum.

NEGOTIATE YOUR SALARY IN BRITISH STERLING POUNDS (if you can!)

I know, lots to think about -- good luck with your move...

« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 09:48:43 AM by henrygirls »

Re: American Electronics in the UK and my Gun
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2005, 03:41:33 AM »
Thanks for all the answers, guess I will sell the Hummer and bring my wife's Ford F-350 instead.

I've got another question if you don't mind.

In Texas, most people carry concealed weapons, its pretty common.

What are the rules about carrying concealed weapons in the UK?

Oh yeah, I've called Dell and the PC power is easy to fix.

What about the monitor? There is no red switch on the back to adjust?

Thanks again and I look forward to your answers... :)

Re: American Electronics in the UK and my Gun
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 06:06:36 AM »

Dont even think about bringing or carrying guns here.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 06:09:21 AM by otterpop »

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 07:42:04 AM »
Thanks for all the answers, guess I will sell the Hummer and bring my wife's Ford F-350 instead.

I've got another question if you don't mind.

Yeah, that would be against the law.  Nobody has guns here.   

• Hi there.
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 07:53:30 AM »
The UK - a place where only the criminals carry guns.  They tend to think the US is a bit 'wild west' to have such emphasis on guns in a society. 

It is VERY difficult to own a gun legally in this country.  It would be VERY difficult to import your guns legally -- if you tried to do it illegally there would be strong penalities.  We chose to store them in the US; although we did bring over the gun safe.  DH is avid hunter; so he is trying to apply for a gun license here to purchase a rifle here.  Takes lots of paperwork and personal references - not impossible just lots of red tape.

BTW - on your appliances there should be a UL by the electrical source --- near that there is a voltage listing... usually 220V/60 hz (for US); will show 100-240v 50/60hz for appliances which can run in both countries.  You monitor should have this marking near the electrical output.

My dell monitor just required a new cord -- it was already 110-240v compat.

Also, if there is anything technology oriented you want to buy, try to get it before you come over (e.g. new computer, printer)

• Married! 4-7-4 (4th of April, 2007)
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 08:16:48 AM »
Where are you planning on moving to?  Just thinking that even a pickup truck might not work so well depending on where you are moving to - honestly I haven't seen a single pickup truck in London since I moved here last summer...and I can see why!

• Mellowing with age.
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 11:28:51 AM »
Not just the size of your vehicle but consider the how difficult it will be to have a left-hand drive truck in a world of right-hand cars.  Drive thrus, car parks... all designed for drivers sitting on the right.  Sell your cars and buy new when you get here.  Your US cars would also have to be fitted to UK standard which can be costly.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

• Liked: 8
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 06:56:26 PM »
Also consider that it's going to be incredibly expensive to fuel a big truck over here (why do you think everyone drives those little teeny cars?).  Petrol is, on average, about 80p per litre, so you're looking at the equivalent of $7.12 a gallon -- and that truck is going to need a lot of gallons!   :o

By the time you've paid to add the lights and whatnot that are required to bring it to UK code, paid to transport the truck over here, paid your insurance premiums on a foreign vehicle, and paid out the wazoo when you have to get it repaired, you might as well've sold it and bought a new (little) car over here.

Also, and this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but something to think about -- driving around London in a big truck is definitely going to mark you out as an American. 

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 07:14:38 PM »
Wow, a Hummer, a gun and an F350, you are going to blend right in ;)  Just kidding!  I have a Land Rover Discovery and I can barely find parking, you might want to follow the advice of the other members, sell the cars or store them in the USA.   

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 10:31:30 PM »
I think you will also find that public transportation in the UK is more efficient than in much of the US.  Both within and between cities.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab