Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are the odds?  (Read 1850 times)

What are the odds?
« on: February 05, 2005, 04:59:44 PM »
For people concerned about their fiance or spousal visas, it's interesting to take note of last year's statistics.

On the North American desk, which includes the 3 US consulates and the consulate on Canada, there were a total of 42 refusals for settlement out of 4,771 applications. 

It means the odds of success are 99.2% in your favour.  The best odds in the whole world!

Chicago has the highest percentage of refusals (1%), followed by NYC, and Ottawa.  There were a paltry 2 refusals in LA for the whole year.

On the downside, the North American desk has a solid track record for upholding appeals - among the highest.    It means that they do not issue refusals very often, but when they do, it tends to stick.

The British Consulate in Accra gets the hard-nosed award with a staggering 53% refusal rate for settlement applications.   
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 06:32:56 PM by garry »

• Liked: 0
Re: What are the odds?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 05:20:17 PM »
At the end of the month we are off to New York to get our spousal visas and i am in a right state.
Worried/nervous/paniced/scared/sick  :-\\\\

News like that is FANTASTIC to hear. I know i am feeling a bit better now  :)
Thanks for brightening up my day

Stay safe

Jules
Look but don't touch! Touch but don't tase! Taste but don't swallow! And while you're hopping about from one foot to the other, he's up there laughing his sick f#@king a$$ off - Al Pacino

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2005, 06:02:24 PM »
Nervous doesn't begin to describe how I have been feeling, and when I finally mail everything off to NY in 2 weeks or so, I will be much relieved.  I'll take these odds!  Thanks for posting this.

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 09:22:02 PM »
Do you know the reasons for refusal?

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 10:39:16 AM »
Do you know the reasons for refusal?

Only a few.  But there's a  complete list in the Audit report, which is due out later.  The only thing you could say in aggregate from this report is

• all of the fiance and spousals refusals were decided at T5
  • apparently, there were no eea refusals in the NA desk
  • they did not, apparently, undertake any DNA testing in NA last year in contrast to South Asia where there were thousands

The ones I know about have to do with credibility issues from the applicant or sponsor.  Lying.  Public funds, sponsor's benefits.  UP's that cannot document, and so forth.

And there's always going to be a few who think that several weeks of intense chat on ICQ is equivalent to meeting in person.

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 09:26:41 PM »

"all of the fiance and spousals refusals were decided at T5"

Excuse my ignorance....but what is T5 ???

Jules
Look but don't touch! Touch but don't tase! Taste but don't swallow! And while you're hopping about from one foot to the other, he's up there laughing his sick f#@king a$$ off - Al Pacino

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 09:59:57 PM »
Excuse my ignorance....but what is T5 ???

Ooops!

I am terribly sorry!  Apologies to the forum!  I should have said T4.   :-[  Now I'm embarrassed...

Tier 4.  It means there was a so-called "full interview" and they used the maximum allowable time of 45 minutes on the application.

T4 being the highest level of scrutiny authorised for a foreign post, which gives them 45 minutes, and they are not allowed to spend more than that on any one application.

Most of the US/UK settlement apps are handled at T2 (even though a fiance app is "officially" T4), but a reputable advisor should be able to get it down to T1.  I should hope  ::)  If they are going to refuse an application, they will play it by the book and T4 it.  At least that's what the statistics say for the North American desk...

Apologies again for the typo  :-[
« Last Edit: February 06, 2005, 10:11:21 PM by garry »

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2005, 02:09:11 AM »
a reputable advisor should be able to get it down to T1.  I should hope 

Does that mean you can take an advisor with you to the consulate when you apply in person for your visa ??

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2005, 08:54:35 AM »
Does that mean you can take an advisor with you to the consulate when you apply in person for your visa ??

No, it would be irregular unless you were Madonna or Mike Tyson.  More importantly, there is no need to.

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 11:49:16 AM »
No, it would be irregular unless you were Madonna or Mike Tyson.  More importantly, there is no need to.
LMAO...thats funny  :D

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005, 12:55:03 PM »
Garry, you mentioned here all the fiance and spousal refusals were decided at T4..what about FLRs? I'm coming over on a fiance visa and getting my FLR right after we're married. Does this affect the people who came over on a fiance visa at all? The application looks pretty straight foward and without all the paperwork you need if you come over on a spouse visa.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 01:01:38 PM by Kay65 »

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 05:05:21 PM »
Garry, you mentioned here all the fiance and spousal refusals were decided at T4..what about FLRs?

FLRs are not handled by the Foreign Office, but rather by the Home Office.  It's a different system, and it does not affect you if you are already cleared for entry.

Sponsored Links