Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Anyone else studying law in UK?  (Read 1254 times)

• Liked: 0
Anyone else studying law in UK?
« on: February 08, 2005, 11:13:15 PM »
I'm currently a US undergrad living in the States and married to a UK citizen. We're planning on moving to the UK as soon as I graduate and I'm going to undertake the daunting but exciting task of studying law (i.e. doing GDL, then LPC, then training contract) in the UK. If anyone else has had any experience with being an American studying law in the UK, especially with regards to figuring out the equivalency of US grades/degrees, interviewing as an international candidate, etc, I would love to hear from you!

Re: Anyone else studying law in UK?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 12:31:48 PM »
I'm starting in Autumn, but I'm not doing a conversion course, which would be 2 years full time.  Reason being 1) I can't afford to go full-time, as I also have to work full-time to support the family 2) the conversion degree is 'ordinary' w/no chance of changing to honours.  In Scotland, it's virtually impossible to get funding for the diploma course (£7,000 fee) if you have not done honours.  I'm in my mid-30s and we live debt-free, so I don't want to incur any debts whilst making this career change. 

By the time I qualify as a solicitor (a three year process beyond the degree), I'll be a naturalised UK national who has been residing in Scotland for well over 10 years, so I'll be interviewing as a 'home' candidate.  I also waited three years before beginning my course of study so that I do not have to pay international fees. 

• Hi there.
  • Liked: 0
Re: Anyone else studying law in UK?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 10:38:22 AM »
Hi there,

I am an American from NY who is currently taking the GDL at College of Law in London.  The course is great apart from the loads of studying that has to be done!  You learn the 7 foundation subjects plus Legal Method in a nine month time period.  There are 2 other Americans in my lectures and some Canadians.  I  have heard American accents in the hallways though so I know there are more.  College of Law and BPP are the two I know for sure that do not charge overseas fees to attend so that shouldn't be a worry if you plan to go to these two places.  If you are taking out loans I would apply to College of Law as they are in the system for US based student loans and BPP are not.  Personally, I would recommend College of Law over BPP from my experiences there plus from what others at BPP have said.  I think  a lot of the students at BPP are mainly heading into Commercial law with the big city firms and a lot of the training at BPP is geared to that.  I am going to do my LPC at College of Law in Guildford next year.  I have not had any luck with any training contract interviews but I have not really applied to too many.  As for the US grade equivalence, you need to send your transcripts to the Law Society of England and Wales to have them issue a degree certification in order to be accepted at any law school here.  Let me know if you have any questions!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab