Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: What are UCAS points?  (Read 2220 times)

• Liked: 0
What are UCAS points?
« on: February 09, 2005, 07:47:22 PM »
I'm a US undergrad who'll be applying to law school in the UK. All the law firms ask for UCAS points, but try as I might, I can't figure them out! How could I compare my high school grades (APs, SATs) to UCAS points? Alas, my husband is English, but he graduated from Uni long before the points system came about!  ;)

• my name is jonas
  • Liked: 0
Re: What are UCAS points?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 04:58:33 PM »
First of all, do you already have a degree?

UCAS (in case you don't know) is the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service.  I applied for law school myself through them, though as an undergraduate.

I do not know how they evaluated my qualifications to their tariff or points system.  I have a booklet that talks about their points system but it only mentions English, Welsh, or Scottish areas of skill (diploma, GCE, etc). 

If you are applying and you have a diploma already, don't you just have to do a conversion course?  Is that what you are doing?  If so, I would talk directly to the firm or school.  If they are really unhelpful I guess you could contact UCAS but if you are not applying through them, then I don't know what they can do.   They may have some sort of thing where they convert your undergrad degree.

Sorry I can't be of much help as I am taking a different route.  I will be going to Manchester University this fall and studying law as an undergrad, but if I can clarify any UCAS things, just let me know.

trisha
had a bit of a wobble.

• Liked: 8
Re: What are UCAS points?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 06:54:32 PM »
The way I understand it, scores on A-levels (and possibly GCSEs?) are worth a particular number of UCAS points.  So, the better you do on your A-levels, the more points you'll get, and the better you'll look when applying to university.

I don't know that there's a way to translate our high school grades to UCAS points because there's no standardised US high school curriculum. 

It might be a good idea to head to www.naric.org.uk to have your qualifications "translated" into UK ones...I've got to get around to doing that myself!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab