Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Wish Me Luck  (Read 2026 times)

• Liked: 0
Wish Me Luck
« on: February 18, 2005, 02:29:26 PM »
I dropped off my proposal to the Durham University History Dept. today, asking that they take me on as a Ph.D. candidate...wish me luck in their review!

~ Mark
Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

• Liked: 8
Re: Wish Me Luck
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 04:03:30 PM »
Ooh!  Very good luck!   ;D

• wench
  • Gin-soaked Floozie

• Caution: wench on board
    • Wenchstead
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 06:26:18 PM »
Good luck!
Ask and ye shall be babbled at.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 07:20:21 PM »
good luck!  My husband is a PH.D. student at Durham in Theology and loves it.  It's a gorgeous place to be.  Lots of Americans!!
wife of Durham student!

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 07:53:59 PM »
Wow, impressive credentials to be going there - very well respected! And SO beautiful!!! Very good luck to you - let us know how it goes!  :)

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 11:33:38 PM »
Thanks guys!  I appreciate the support!  (It's hard to celebrate those little life moments when you a stranger in a strange land....)  I'm hoping to hear from them in around 2 weeks...

BTW, AnneG (or is it AnneR?): We're in Durham by way of Los Gatos, CA... we're true Highway 17 veterans, going over the hill between San Jose and Santa Cruz!

Nashville TN->Kenyon College, OH->Dallas TX->Washington DC->Cleveland OH->Los Gatos/San Jose CA->Durham!
Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2005, 12:22:25 AM »
Good luck!

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2005, 02:15:48 PM »
BTW, AnneG (or is it AnneR?): We're in Durham by way of Los Gatos, CA... we're true Highway 17 veterans, going over the hill between San Jose and Santa Cruz!

LOL, it was Anne G until 27 Sept. when it became Anne R! Just never changed the moniker! And hellooo neighbour (well, ex-neighbour anyway!) My best friend lives in Santa Clara, so I've done my fair share of Hwy 17 driving!  :)

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 03:15:19 PM »
 We're in Durham by way of Los Gatos, CA...

Small world...we're from San Jose (Blossom Hill area) and now in Durham!  Interested in meeting more Americans...and a good Bunko night?
wife of Durham student!

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2005, 09:55:31 AM »
Wow, it's really turning into old home week around here! I'm amazed how many people on this board are from the South Bay and San Francisco! There's even another Santa Cruzan! But so far the weirdest one is the woman who basically led the same life I did in SF (down to working for the same company) only a few years earlier! Too weird! (Ooh, and she's also an old married lady now! Congrats Emily!!)

Anyway, as for get-togethers, I'm always up for them, but I live down near London....

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2005, 04:24:18 PM »

Small world...we're from San Jose (Blossom Hill area) and now in Durham!  Interested in meeting more Americans...and a good Bunko night?

Bunko?
Isnt that some sort of crime?  I seem to remember police tv shows having a 'bunko squad' or something like that?

• When I leave England, I'll miss my garden & view
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2005, 10:18:31 PM »
Bunko is a dice game, I believe, although I don't remember the rules. 
"Happiness grows at our own firesides, and is not to be picked in strangers' gardens." -
Douglas Jerrold

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2005, 10:20:01 AM »
Yep...Bunko is a fun (& loud) dice game!  Or just an excuse to get together to eat and drink!!
wife of Durham student!

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005, 10:42:01 AM »
Best of luck, I hope it all goes well!!!

• StokesInternet
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2005, 11:19:50 PM »
Good luck!

When I was over in January visiting schools for my History PhD I went to Durham as a tourist. What a lovely town and university. I wish they did what I was interested in.

What are you planning to study? I'm going to be doing Early Modern Central Europe - Habsburgs, Prague, Rudolf II around 1600. Especially the development of science with scholars like Kepler and Tycho Brahe in Rudolf's court. I'll be studying up at St Andrews.

David Stokes
Pictures From Our New Home!
http://www.stokesinternet.com/move

Sponsored Links