Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: London Tube - "One Hour Proposal"  (Read 1313 times)

Re: London Tube - "One Hour Proposal"
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 03:59:48 PM »
Stacey - they certainly didn't change it while I was there...I was the queen of the $20+ cab fairs back to Watertown

Yes, exactly, exactly. One reason that I found my year in Cambridge so dull was that I wasn't going to bloody be spending that money to get back from the club region near the baseball stadium.

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2005, 07:27:27 PM »
I'm reviving an old thread ...

I was up in London, this Sunday morning, on the 06:57 tube from King's Cross to Heathrow.  As part of the proposal for the tude to run an hour later on Friday and Saturday they propose to start it an hour later on Saturday and Sunday.  DAFT, CRAzY and CYNICAL linkage.   That first tube was packed by Holborn. Standing room only! But so many of the clientelle were probably the quieter sorts ... so I guess the proposal may end up being a votewinner  :-X

The New York subway manages a 24 hour service on some lines, so why can't London?  Run the Central, District, Piccadilly, Northern (Charing Cross Branch) and the Metropolitain at a basic 20 minute interval.  No service to Olympia, Chesham, Acton to Rayner's Lane,  Mill Hill East, or on Ealing Broadway branch of Central. No service on Circle, Hammersmith and City, Jubillee, Bakerloo or Victoria lines; I don't know about Docklands and East London. Extend the night District service from Edgware Road to Baker Street, and divert the night Metropolitain from Aldgate to Whitechapel to plug gaps.  What do the Londoners here think?   

Guess it'll never happen - with so much income being in from travel cards, extending the hours would cost a lot more and bring in very little more income!
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

• London Rollergirl
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2005, 07:35:38 PM »
I work early on weekends it's hard on Sundays as the trains at my end begin at 7:30am and I have to be at work for 8am. Taking the bus to work means I have to leave for work nearly 2 hours earlier than I need to just to get there on time as the busses on Sunday are not a regular  :-\\\\ 

I live on the Northern Line towards High Barnet.
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2005, 02:16:35 PM »
The New York subway manages a 24 hour service on some lines, so why can't London?  Run the Central, District, Piccadilly, Northern (Charing Cross Branch) and the Metropolitain at a basic 20 minute interval.  No service to Olympia, Chesham, Acton to Rayner's Lane,  Mill Hill East, or on Ealing Broadway branch of Central. No service on Circle, Hammersmith and City, Jubillee, Bakerloo or Victoria lines; I don't know about Docklands and East London. Extend the night District service from Edgware Road to Baker Street, and divert the night Metropolitain from Aldgate to Whitechapel to plug gaps.  What do the Londoners here think?

I thought the main problem with 24 hour travel in London is the lack of an extra set of express tracks like they have in NY.  I've heard that NY wouldn't be able to run 24 hours without their express tracks.  I don't know whether that's really true or not but seeing the number of problems the Underground has every day, I wonder if they just couldn't handle it?

Then again, Saturday & Sunday mornings should be fairly quiet times outside the center as you say, maybe just running trains in certain more central areas would do the trick?

Matt
And the world first spoke to me in Sensurround

Sponsored Links