Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Background checks for UK jobs?  (Read 2216 times)

• Nipponny
  • Liked: 0
Background checks for UK jobs?
« on: March 03, 2005, 10:29:16 PM »
hi everyone, quick question. wondering if places of employment perform background checks like some places in the us. i know that sometimes when you're applying for a job, they take your resume but also make you fill out an application which usually has some small print referring to a background check...or even some way of verifying the information on your resume. seems par for the course here in nyc and was wondering if that's the case in the uk?
if in your course you do not meet your equal, your better, then continue firmly alone...there is no fellowship with fools. - Dhammapada

• AAGGGHH!
Re: Background checks for UK jobs?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 10:33:36 PM »
I know that I need one, but I am working with children and families when I get to the UK.  But I am not sure about other jobs. 

• Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 09:02:45 AM »
they took references and called them to be sure i was who i said i was and worked at my old company.......

i had to provide 3 or 4.  i believe they only contacted one-and i had a letter from my previous employer.

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 10:21:24 AM »
they took references and called them to be sure i was who i said i was and worked at my old company.......

i had to provide 3 or 4. i believe they only contacted one-and i had a letter from my previous employer.

I had the same thing!  They took two and wrote and called both!!!!

• Liked: 8
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 10:33:48 AM »
Most jobs that will put you in contact with children, vulnerable people, or significant amounts of money will require a CRB check.  They just need proof of your identity (UK drivers license, passport) and proof of address (bank statement, utility bill, etc.).

• York Interweb
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 05:08:25 PM »
Most jobs that will put you in contact with children, vulnerable people, or significant amounts of money will require a CRB check.  They just need proof of your identity (UK drivers license, passport) and proof of address (bank statement, utility bill, etc.).

My fiance (British citizen) works with children and is registered with the police.

(He is a support worker for autistic children; you can't get much more vulnerable than that.)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 05:14:19 PM by sweetpeach »

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 04:40:17 AM »
Apart from references, do they ask for your medical history also? I have a friend in London who said that most companies these days would require you to submit a doctor's certificate that certifies that you dont have any pre-existing conditions and that you are perfectly fit to work.

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 07:26:05 PM »
I just got hired by a children's charity and I had to go through the background check.  It does seem standard here to call your references and have a written reference.  But the police background check  ... I think it's only working with children, with police departments and such. 
As far as the doctor's note - that seems strange.  Wouldn't that discriminate against hiring people with disabilities?  If someone had cerebal palsy, for example, they're going to have a variety of medical problems. 

• York Interweb
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 02:58:21 PM »
Fiance works directly with disabled children--he is usually alone with them, with no supervision.  I would expect someone in that position to have to undergo a background check and register with the police department. Imagine what could happen if the wrong person got hired for a job like that.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab