Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: ITIN Do I really Need One?  (Read 1232 times)

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
ITIN Do I really Need One?
« on: July 01, 2003, 07:58:12 PM »
My wife is a US citizen living here in Scotland and I am a UK citizen that has never worked or lived in the United States, nor do I have any financial investments etc. in the USA. So I don't really understand why the 1040 form for my wife is set out so she can't honestly fill in a separate return without me applying for a ITIN.

The London IRS info line seems rather adament that I need to start filing nonresident/alien taxes even though a) I have nor ever have been a resident of the USA and b) I am not a citizen of the USA. Moreover I am living in a sovereign country! ???

Can my wife just file as single, or declare she is married but file singly without having me involved and keep Uncle Sam's ever so big foreign nose outa my business?  :)

Thanks

Re: ITIN Do I really Need One?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 12:53:30 AM »
Your wife can file a "married filing separate" return claiming only her own personal allowance.  This way she does not have to report your income or deduction on her return, nor do you need to apply to obtain an ITIN.

I have received several calls where the embassy is mis-advising people in this regard.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links