Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Still wondering...  (Read 1010 times)

• Liked: 0
Still wondering...
« on: March 07, 2005, 05:41:36 PM »
 ???

I have posted before inquiring what is the best route to get back to the UK (I studied at Regents College in London for 4 months) after now being a college graduate.

I loved my life in London and it was an experience I will never forget and because of this my goal/dream is to relocate to London again at least for a few years.

My question is, what would be the easiest way for a US citizen to get a work permit without any real contacts in the UK... are there any websites that are particularly helpful or  any businesses/programs that are quick to hire an intelligent, open-minded, and hard working Yank?

Any feedback would be MUCH appreciated.  ;)

Re: Still wondering...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2005, 06:05:40 PM »
Well, FWIW, there are lots of jobs on offer at http://www.jobserve.com/

Good luck to you.

Jim

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 03:33:34 PM »
CMON, DOESNT ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO/HINTS/SUGGESTIONS FOR ME  ??? :( :-[

This seems to be almost a lost cause...

Sorry for the CAPS, it is just getting frustrating for me, having no leads and all...

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 03:36:57 PM »
Well, to be honest, the UK is full of "intelligent, open-minded, and hard working" people.  And now that the EU is brought into play as well, that means that it's even harder for anyone on the "outside" to get in.

Unless you're in a really high demand job (and willing to do it in the UK for really low pay) then your chances really are kind of slim.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 10:40:19 PM »
CMON, DOESNT ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO/HINTS/SUGGESTIONS FOR ME  ??? :( :-[

One path that seems to be overlooked a lot:  if you can get a circle of people to back you such that you have an open credit line on £200 ball quid, and you have a vision that contemplates hiring at least 2 Brits, you're done and dusted.   For people with a bit of flair and risk-taking, it's great.

Another path you don't hear discussed too much:  get a small US company that thinks it wants to expand into the UK and offer to do all the front work that they need - find office space, get a short-list of estate agents together for their accomodation, advertising contacts, and all that stuff.   

• London Rollergirl
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 10:57:17 PM »
what is your area of study? I had it a bit easier as my studies where in Health care I came over and won a place at Kings College London - Biomedical Science but I came a year early by coming into the winant clayton voluntary service where you do an exchange for a few weeks in London. I did social work for Gay and Lesbian individuals that are also dealing with HIV/AIDS (mostly advocate and persue their denied benefits from the council ) While in london I looked for social work at a charity and they hired me to do work with physically disabled  individuals. So depending on your career experience and a little legwork you might be able to find something.

But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• Mummy of Jean Kathleen and Thomas Patrick
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 10:16:36 PM »
Depending on when you finished your degree you might qualify for BUNAC http://www.bunac.org/usa/workinbritain/eligibility.aspx
Maroon Passport Club!

Sponsored Links