Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with you  (Read 104351 times)

Re: LIST: Things you SHOULDN'T have brought with you
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2006, 09:51:08 PM »
I find it hard to believe there's no craft stores in central London?  Maybe I just don't know where to look.  :-\\\\

I think people here just aren't so much into 'crafts' as Americans are.   No demand, no supply!

We do have a yarn shop in my town... and a quilting supplies place.

• London Rollergirl
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2006, 10:18:55 PM »
no there's not been a huge urge to make a toilet paper cozy when there are museums and theatres around ;D

There's a few minor art supply shops around but not a mega craft mecca you need to look through markets ..I found alpaca yarn in a random market stall for cheap ...there was one Hobby craft down Merton (So. London) don't know if it's still there.

But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• Liked: 2
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2006, 10:42:03 PM »
I don't know where you're moving to, but I have had a really hard time finding cross-stitch supplies over here.  I went to one place out in Camden but that's about it.  I find it hard to believe there's no craft stores in central London?  Maybe I just don't know where to look.  :-\\\\

Try John Lewis on Oxford St you might find something in their haberdashery department.

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2006, 11:09:30 PM »
I don't have a HobbyCraft near me so I do a lot of my cross-stitch/craft supply buying online! There are a bunch of good sites to choose from and many of them offer free shipping to UK addresses!

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2006, 11:23:52 PM »
There is a place in Guildford with knitting, crocheting and crossstich supplies, etc. I've been in a few times, Even bought a few things, but I'm hopless at it all! :(

• Liked: 4
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2006, 07:45:16 AM »
Yeah I basically figured the craft thing is just not that big here, so I'd just get things in the States.  Not a big deal, I was just surprised given that it's such a huge city.  I did find one place in Dublin but again it wasn't that big and pretty expensive.

Alicia maybe I should try the toilet paper tea cozy?  Hmm...I'm sure that will be lovely...

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2006, 10:18:49 AM »
People out here in the country tend to be much "craftier." Maybe it's not as widespread as in the US, but if you want to do that sort of thing in the UK, you won't be alone. My village just started a quilting bee!! They meet one night a week in the village hall and just quilt away. They're going to raffle off the quilts to raise money for the church restoration fund. That's not really my thing (the whole group activity puts me off), but I have done a couple of needlepoint kneelers for the church since moving here. And some friends and I briefly started making rag rugs last winter, but gave it up when summer arrived and have never got around to re-starting. Another woman in the village has a little side business making decorative candles that she sells at craft fairs. Another makes greeting cards. There are craft fairs all the time during peak summer holiday season as well as during the time leading up to Christmas. I wouldn't think there'd be too much trouble finding supplies, even if it means you have to look a little harder.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• London Rollergirl
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2006, 11:12:12 AM »
Big cities have big rental rates for shop fronts..some shops carry a small selection but usually cost a bundle for little things like the stationary shop here want £4 for less than a meter of ribbon.  Although londoners aren't as crafty driven there are children in London and parents that have to run around and get supplies because their school has sent out a memo for arts week or for whatever craft fundraiser art attack they require. Probably like many others tend to shop online because the prices are resonable like Baker Ross , http://www.johnsoncrafts.co.uk/  or shop from the local market. Like I said before there was a mecca Hobby Craft in So. London but their prices were expensive.

toilet paper tea cozy that'll just get soggy try crepe paper more decorative... ;D
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 12:21:07 PM by Alicia »
But never fear, gentlemen; castration was really not the point of feminism, and we women are too busy eviscerating one another to take you on.

• Liked: 18
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2006, 06:57:02 PM »
I don't know where you're moving to, but I have had a really hard time finding cross-stitch supplies over here.  I went to one place out in Camden but that's about it.  I find it hard to believe there's no craft stores in central London?  Maybe I just don't know where to look.  :-\\\\

At first we'll be in Bristol then on to Bath...I was able to find cross stitchng stuff at Hobby Craft, they even had bolts of cloth for £15...cant get it that cheap n the US!! I am pretty sure they werent just 14-count...

I also found a great place in the guildhall market in bath, it was soooo tiny but stretched on forever it seemed! their stuff was reasonable and they had what I couldnt find at  hobby craft.

My other suggestion were like you and others mentioned, pick up supplies while in the US or order online, probably the best selection is online anyway :)

Katrina
Moved to the UK April 2006
Married March 2007
Moved to the U.S. June 2009

Husband accepted new job in UK April 2016
Returning to UK Aug/Sept 2016!

Moved from UK-Germany 2022

• Liked: 0
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2006, 03:50:51 PM »
If you need craft supplies......

Try this site, you can order all kinds of craft supplies online. I chose a load of items here for Christmas presents for people this year.

newcomer link: http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/ [nonactive] :)

You can search the online catalogue for most things.

• From Texas to Yorkshire
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2006, 08:13:29 PM »
- More than 2 pairs of shorts
- so many clothes.  I bought so many while I was in the UK, that I ended up giving away a lot of old ones that took up room in my luggage coming over!
- too many pairs of 'uncomfy' shoes.  Either you can walk a mile in them, or you don't wear them!
- trinkets & junk
BUNAC: 9/2004 - 12/2004. Student visa: 1/2005 - 7/2005. Student visa #2: 9/2006 - 1/2008. FLR(IGS): 1/2008 - 10/2008. FLR(M): 10/2008 - 10/2010. ILR 10/2010!!

Finn, 25/12/2009; Micah, 10/08/2012

« Reply #56 on: April 16, 2006, 07:47:49 AM »
- too many pairs of 'uncomfy' shoes.  Either you can walk a mile in them, or you don't wear them!

I will second this!! All my cute heeled boots and heels just are not functional when walking everywhere!!!

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #57 on: April 16, 2006, 08:45:11 AM »
- More than 2 pairs of shorts

I wear beach type stuff (shorts, sundresses, etc.) all summer here, so it really is a myth that the UK is such a cold place. If, however, you're living way up north or somewhere you won't need shorts, I'd say still bring them! You're going to want holidays, aren't you?? And warm spots like Spain are just a hop, skip and a jump away! :D
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

• Hi there.
    • Trophy Pet Foods
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2006, 10:20:11 PM »
the several pairs of white trainers I brought ANd shipped over..it's muddy almost ALL the time around our place-they get ruined just going to the car. :(
"I bought some batteries, but they weren't included."-Steven Wright

• An American's Journey to a UK Civil Partnership
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2006, 02:57:19 PM »
I think the only thing I regret is all of my spare computer hardware.  Our flat isn't the largest thing and we're short on storage space as it is so there aren't very many places to put even our clothes, much less built computers. :(

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab