Sponsored Links

Topic: Please HELP!!! Does a US degree work in the UK???  (Read 4938 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Please HELP!!! Does a US degree work in the UK???
« on: July 06, 2003, 12:57:27 AM »
This may be a dumb question, but I thought maybe somebody on here could answer it, because I really have no clue who to ask. (I'm just full of questions, aren't I?)

I withdrew from university in England this past year, and now I am back to taking courses in America to complete my degree. Does anyone know how easily an American bachelor's degree transfers to the UK, if I wanted to move back? Or would I have to start from the beginning again, taking courses in England, to actually find work?

Also, is there any point in my English FH taking courses over here in America to get more qualifications add to his CV, if we decided to move back to England? Or would they also be completely non-transferrable?

Hopefully somebody knows, because we're trying to decide if it's worth it for him to come over here with me, at least temporarily.

Sorry if I confused anyone!!! :D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2003, 10:53:12 PM by sarah »

  • *
  • Posts: 36

  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
  • Liked: 0
  • Joined: May 2003
  • Location: Belfast
Re: Please HELP!!! Does a US degree work in the UK
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 12:24:24 AM »
No problem at all unless you are training to be a solicitor (I can't think of any other fields off hand that things don't transfer so nicely). I started at Northeastern, then went to UMass Boston and finished my bachelors in Queen's in Belfast. I am presently working and doing a Masters degree at the University of Ulster. I had no problems transferring to uni here. The only think was I had to do a few extra modules at Queen's to complete my residency requirement. I had no problems getting a job with my America uni work (I even managed to get a job that required a uni degree while I was finishing my module) because I explained I had to do those extra modules. I say go for it. Any more questions fire away ;)

btw: Where in Boston are you from? I went to boarding school in Waltham and lived in JP for about 5 1/2 years until I moved to Ireland.

Re: Please HELP!!! Does a US degree work in the UK
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 05:17:34 AM »
Hi belfastgirl, thanks so much for your reply!  :) I'm so glad somebody on here knew the answer, because I had no clue. That's great news -- I was really worried that I wouldn't be qualified to work in the UK if I finished uni here in the States.

I do have more questions, actually!!!  ;D Is it fairly easy to actually find work in the UK with just an American bachelor's degree?

Also, my fiance is thinking of coming over here to take a few courses at a small college nearby starting this September while I'm finishing my degree, and I was wondering if taking these extra courses would be worth it for him if we decide to go back... do you think his job opportunities would improve in the UK with US college credits listed on his CV? Or would it be pointless, because he's being qualified for working in the American system?? (We're still trying to figure out if it's worth it for him to do this, even though he's already gotten his student visa. If it's not, I think we'll face being apart for several years.  :'()

That's amazing you're originally from Mass too! I actually live in a town 15 miles north of Boston... I just say Boston because it's the closest city to me.  ;D My parents used to live in Waltham too!

Re: Please HELP!!! Does a US degree work in the UK
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2003, 04:58:47 PM »
OK, I'll try asking again.  :D This is for anybody who would know or thinks they know.

If my English fiance were to take several courses over here in America in accounting while I finish my bachelors degree, would the credits he earned here improve his chances of getting a job in the UK (if we decide to move back) as they would beef up his CV, or would they basically be worthless in the UK??

We're trying to decide if his studying here is good only for actually working in the US, or if it will be a benefit for living in either country.


Sponsored Links