Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Hope this is the right place to ask this :-/  (Read 1128 times)

• Liked: 0
Hope this is the right place to ask this :-/
« on: July 07, 2003, 07:43:00 AM »
Hello ,
I just found out that my mothers grandparents ( both sets) are from the UK , one is from England and the other is Ireland .My Question is this. is there anyway that through this I can gain access and or citizenship to the UK so I can be with Mark , with out all the red tape?..
I know I'm not explaining this in the right way :-/ , but I hope someone will understand what I'm trying to say here  ...
thanks for the listen & thanks for any help  :)

Cheers,
         Wild [smiley=daisy.gif]
Laugh, Love & Be Happy ...life is to short for anything else..

Re: Hope this is the right place to ask this :-/
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2003, 09:41:19 AM »
Here's some information I found for you on the IND's website.

Do I Need A UK Visa
Home OfficeFCO
Nationals of United States are not eligible for entry to the United Kingdom under the UK Ancestry scheme.

Please see Guidance - UK Ancestry for further information.

Guidance - UK Ancestry (INF 9) (10/04/02)

What is this leaflet about?
This leaflet explains what the Immigration Rules say about UK Ancestry (Commonwealth citizens with a grandparent who was born in the UK and Islands, including the Channel Islands and Isle of Man). It is only a guide, but aims to answer commonly asked questions. The full criteria for entry to the UK are contained in the Immigration Rules.

Do I qualify for UK Ancestry?
You will qualify if you can show that you:

* are a Commonwealth citizen
   * are aged 17 or over
   * have a grandparent who was born in the UK or Islands*
   * have a grandparent who was born in what is now the Republic of Ireland prior to 31 March 1922*
   * are able to work and intend to take or seek employment in the UK
   * are able to maintain and accommodate yourself and any dependants adequately without recourse to public funds

*If you or you parent through whom you are claiming ancestry are adopted you may still apply for entry under this category. You must present evidence of the legal adoption with your application form.

You may want to research their website...if so, go here.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

Saffron

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2003, 10:11:42 AM »
Saffron posted the leaflet I would have referred to but also check out the links in the Helpful Links post.  I always recommend the British Consular's website because it's fairly straightforward.  I would say you most likely could immigrate to the UK on an ancestry type visa.  One of the ladies I work with who is from New Zealand did this because she had grandparents who were born in the UK and were UK citizens.  Best of luck and keep us posted!

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2003, 10:55:40 AM »
And on the Irish front... Here's a link to my friends at the Dept. of Justice, Equality and Law Reform. http://www.justice.ie/80256976002CB7A4/vWeb/fsWMAK4Q7JKY

• Fat people are hard to kidnap.
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2003, 05:54:46 PM »
Be careful, though... it says if YOU have a grandparent... but they're actually GREAT grandparents to you.  You might want to double check; I don't know how far back in the lineage they allow.
If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe. ~Carl Sagan

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2003, 07:49:13 PM »
Thanks so much for the Info I will look in each of the websites . and yes Collington they would be my Great greandparents, I need to find out where my grandma & grandpa where born , not sure if it was here or there  :-/  but see I really  didn't know if you could even go that way ....

Wild  [smiley=daisy.gif]
Laugh, Love & Be Happy ...life is to short for anything else..

Sponsored Links