Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Uni schedules  (Read 962 times)

• PA - DC - Leeds, UK - Dallas, Tx
  • Liked: 0
Uni schedules
« on: March 22, 2005, 03:50:52 PM »
Can anyone tell me what a typical Uni schedule is like for a grad student in the UK? I was told 2 classes per semester and about 2hrs per class - so 4hrs max actually in a classroom per semester. It sounds like so little - anyone have experience they can share? I am trying to figure out how many days a week I'll have to be on campus and when I'll be available to work part time etc...

I'm anxious if you can't tell  ;)
Sometimes I feel like an alien in my own country

• Officially a Brit.
  • Liked: 2
Re: Uni schedules
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2005, 04:08:29 PM »
Depends upon the type of course you're doing. If it's what they call a 'taught' programme, then you would probably be in class more. If it's 'by research' then there's usually a few classes but you can expect to spend lots of time reading, researching, and writing. Also, is your programme semester or term? Most UK unis are by term with 3 per year. Terms run about 10 weeks. Are you doing this part time or full time?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. ~ John Lennon

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2005, 04:35:06 PM »
I can't speak for non-humanities. It the uni is on terms, then you're looking at 3 classes that run 2 hours a week each for the first two out of three terms. That's a pretty standard load even in North America. Graduate seminars meet less frequently but they have higher reading load demands and expectations.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 04:37:52 PM »
Mine is a taught programme and it was something like this (for full-time, which I'm not, but this is what my full-time course mates took):

AUTUMN TERM
Monday:
-1 class, 3 hours long
-1 class, about writing your disertation, which met sporatically

Thursday:
-1 class, 3 hours long
-1 class, 3 hours long

SPRING TERM
Monday:
-1 class, only had to attend one 3 hour session of your choosing

Thursday:
-Remainder of a Spring term course - 3 hours but only met for about 4-5 weeks
-1 class, 3 hours long

Classes are already over for the year (!) but papers are due sporatically until the end of May. This year the full-time load was 7 papers, 1 statistics assignment, and a short disertation or 6 papers, 1 statistics assignment and a long dissertation.

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 06:22:34 PM »
Anne G - yours sounds most like what they told me when I went to visit. I will be getting my taught ma in international studies. The prof in the dept told me that I will have 2 classes per term (he did use semester too) and have 2 terms - then the rest of the time to finish my thesis/dissertation. At least I know it should be like I'll have at least 2-3 days to work part time and then also study, read and write! Thank you everyone :)

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 06:28:09 PM »
At least I know it should be like I'll have at least 2-3 days to work part time and then also study, read and write!

Yeah, you should be fine - if a little frazzled from time-to-time! I work five days a week, but only in the mornings (early start so I finish early - retail jobs are handy for that!) then I study (or mess about on UKY - you be the judge  ;) ) in the afternoons and still have evenings to spend with dh. The great holiday benefits in the UK mean that if you work 5 days a week your pro rata holiday is 23 days!!! So I just take a couple of days off around the time papers are due or I need to collect data for research, and somehow everything manages to get done!

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 04:32:40 PM »
I just learned that part-timers get the same benefits for vacation (holiday) as full-timers. I coudn't believe it. My best friend here is going to go nuts if I have the same vacation as she (she gets 10days) and she's working way harder and longer hrs than me. I'm beginning to look forward to it.

I did a ton of juggling in my undergrad time - marching band, 2 jobs, frat and sorority (both non-greek) and still maintained honor status. I just have to get back into the mindset.

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 07:07:06 PM »
I just learned that part-timers get the same benefits for vacation (holiday) as full-timers. I coudn't believe it.

Don't quote me on this, but I'm relatively sure it's based not on the number of hours that you work but the number of days. That's one reason that I do 6 hours, 5 days a week rather than a few full days. It's a pain to get up so bloody early 5 days a week, but the holiday time does make up for it in the end....

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 07:51:47 PM »
I kind of figured that. At this point - any vacation time is better than the 0 days you get normally w/ a part time job in the US.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab