Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: The Glasgow to Edinburgh commute..  (Read 1867 times)

• My heart belongs to Stephen
    • my space
  • Liked: 0
The Glasgow to Edinburgh commute..
« on: April 04, 2005, 11:24:41 PM »
Once I arrive in UK , I will be living in the Glasgow area.  That is where my boyfriend has lived all his life.  We will be looking for an apartment in Glasgow Central or the West End.  I loved these areas when I visited the only problem is that I will be working in Edinburgh ::) as the hotel that I work for is only located there or in Aryshire.  I have done the commute on the train the last time I visited but was wondering if anyone knows schedules or prices or a link with that info.  I'm figuring that there is some kind of commuter pass for people who do it everyday.  Also if there is anyone out there that actually does the glas to edinburgh thing everything can tell me if the commute is really that bad or long and does it run all night I would really appreciate it????  Thanks so much guys!! ;D

• Liked: 2
Re: The Glasgow to Edinburgh commute..
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 12:00:14 AM »
I think Scotrail is the train company that runs that service - you should be able to find their site through Google and hopefully that will have all the information you need. 

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 06:40:35 AM »
It's been taken over by FirstGroup, so it's now called First Scotrail, and the Glasgow - Edinburgh line runs right outside my bedroom window!  :-X

http://www.firstgroup.com/scotrail/index.php

My DH and i did the Glasgow- Edinburgh commute for about 3 months (we were working in Edinburgh, living with parents in Glasgow, while we house-hunted for something in-between...) and it was a pure nightmare.     I didnt take the train, I drove...  The traffic was un-real, but i think things were worse for him, cos he got the train.  The biggest problem was unreliability.  Trains were always late, and often cancelled... this may now be resolved now that FirstGroup have taken over, though. 
He also complained that in Edinburgh, as he got on at Haymarket, the train would already be full (due to the people who got on at Waverley) and he wouldnt get a seat and would have to stand almost all the way to Glasgow.   And then there's just the general unpleasantness of being crammed into a metal box with a bunch of strangers, some sneezing and coughing and spreading their lergy around, some talking way too loud on their mobiles, some with their broadsheet papers opened out all the way, some with their Walkmans (walkmen?) blaring hideous noise out the headphones...  the usual stuff.

The train does not run all night... the last train from Edinburgh back to Glasgow is at 11.30 (12.30 during Festival time)... another nightmare when you are out with your Edinburgh workmates on a night out and you have to keep an eye on the clock to make sure you can get the last train home!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 06:42:58 AM by otterpop »

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 08:04:18 AM »
Yikes.  It ain't cheap.  A pal of mine did it - before she found a new job b/c commuting was eating too big a hole out of her wages.  She was on the least expensive, direct debit montly plan.  It was about £3000/annum. 

First has gotten lots of complaints, b/c the problems of ScotRail are still there:  cancelling trains and then the one that arrives is full to the gunners, decreasing the number of carriages so more folks have to cram in, too late/too early. 

As otterpop pointed out, it doesn't run all night, either.  When we go out in Embra, she always has to take a bolt so she won't miss the last train  :\\\'(. 

How far is the Ayrshire hotel?  I'd compare the costs of commuting, b/c it may work out cheaper.  £3000 is a healthy chunk of change after taxes.

• Well House Consultants - PHP Courses
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 08:23:36 AM »
There's also a very frequent bus service between the cities from 5 a.m. until midnight ... journey times as low as an hour, but longer at busy times.  Almost certainly cheaper and (depending on your local journeys to bus and train stations) could work out as convenient.
-- Graham
Well House Consultants - Open Source training
Well House Manor - Hotel in Melksham, Wiltshire

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 08:49:51 AM »

How far is the Ayrshire hotel?  I'd compare the costs of commuting, b/c it may work out cheaper.  £3000 is a healthy chunk of change after taxes.

Good point...  where in Ayrshire is the hotel?
Even if the journey time is similar to the journey to Edinburgh, it will almost certainly be cheaper to travel to Ayrshire...

• my space
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 05:49:10 PM »

The Ayrshire hotel is in Turnberry, so we figure if I take that position we can move to Paisley....but everything is up in the air and open for suggestions ....

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 09:53:20 PM »
That sounds like a good plan... it's Cardonald where your boyfriend stays the now?
Paisley's not that much further up the road.  :)

• my space
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 10:00:03 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys...my boyfrined keeps saying "calm yerself, it'll all work out!!"
But it just seems like every single day there is something new to make me stressed out about this move!!!! ::)

That's right he is in Cardonald the now so Paisley does sound bright!!

Everyone on here has been a great help though!!! ;D

Sponsored Links