Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Planning December wedding to a student  (Read 1114 times)

Planning December wedding to a student
« on: July 21, 2003, 10:41:41 PM »
We are planning on getting married in December. I am in the US now. He will be in University and I know it is a bit different if they are not working. Does anyone know the specific paperwork I need to fill out before going, the fees and any advice in English? lol. I have read some sites, but its always best when it comes from someone who has been through it. I would have to have my own place since he would be in the dormitory most of the time. Can anyone tell me the requirements?

Thank you

Re: Planning December wedding to a student
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 12:27:35 PM »
Portia,

Congrats on your engagement!  I'm sure you must be very excited.  

Is your fiance not working at all?  If not, you may have a difficult time getting a fiance visa to come over and get married on.  One of the big things they require is financial ability to support you before your wedding takes place.  Financial support also takes the form of needing to prove that you will have accomodation.  

If you are arriving in the UK with the intention of getting married and settling here in the UK, you will need to fill out a Fiance Visa to enter the country.  You aren't able to work or seek work with this visa, but once you are married, you can apply for a spousal visa which will allow you to work.

Here's what we sent in:

1 - Completed application forms IM2A and IM2B (one for you and one for your intended)

2 - Two recent passport photos of myself attached to the IM2A form

3 - My valid, original passport

4 - My finance's valid, original passport

5 - Photographs of HIM and I together and copies of itineraries proving we had each visited each other and met

6 - A letter from my sponsor (HIM) stating that we had met and he was indeed intending to marry me, could not bear to be away from me, blah, blah, blah and that we were planning to live in the UK permanently and together

7 - My resume showing I had skills that should enable me to find work once we were married

8 - My fiance's lease showing we had accommodation

9 - A letter from my fiance's employer showing that he had income to support me until we were married

10 - A cover letter from myself stating that:

I was planning on arriving in the UK on or about 20th March

Neither of us had been married before and so no divorce papers were included

Neither of us had dependents so there were no forms for them included

My contact details (phone numbers, email, etc)

We had made initial contact with the registrar's office in Aberdeen and had a cleared the date and time with that office

11 - A money order for $382, $10 of which was for return express postage

12 - Bank statements for the past three months for both myself and my fiance (they had to call back and request this which delayed things by a couple of weeks)

It may also be useful to note that you will have to prove that you are living together as man and wife in order for your spousal visa to be approved.  If he's living in the dorms and you in your own place, they aren't going to consider your marriage valid and my deport you.  I would highly recommend going back to the Home Office website and reading up on this stuff.....I know it can be confusing but better safe than sorry later!

Best of luck!  :)

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2003, 01:49:50 PM »
Hiya!

Wishstar's post was very thorough and since she basically covered it all,  I just wanted to add my 2p worth! We just went through the whole Visa application process (just got back on Sunday with my Spousal Visa in hand! yay!) I made my application in person at the British Consulate General in NYC. The fee has increased to $455 plus shipping and handling charges-(which, incidently, can also be found on the home office website.) There is a great satellite site at

http://www.britainusa.org

Just click under visa's - fiance, etc
I basically went with anything and *everything* they listed on the website. Financial details are very important- making sure you both have enough money in your accounts to support yourselves for the foreseeable future. Another suggestion might be to have an additional sponsor from the UK- we asked my husband's Mum to be an additional sponsor for me since he is still classified as a student & is just  finishing up his phd corrections. He had just has secured a job offer, not a job.  It helped for peace of mind hehe

I'd really suggest going & applying in person if you can at all swing it- it's tedious and nervewracking, but you can usually pick up your visa the same day (barring unforeseen circumstances!) They list the local British Consulate General office for you area as well.

I totally agree with Wishstar- better safe than sorry in a situation like this! Good planning now will save a lot of heartache and angst!

Best of luck!
Jen [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2003, 10:01:17 PM »
What happens if I went to the states after the wedding to work for a while to save up to come? Would they still consider the marriage legal?

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2003, 01:24:04 AM »
We are planning on getting married in December. I am in the US now. He will be in University and I know it is a bit different if they are not working. Does anyone know the specific paperwork I need to fill out before going, the fees and any advice in English? lol. I have read some sites, but its always best when it comes from someone who has been through it. I would have to have my own place since he would be in the dormitory most of the time. Can anyone tell me the requirements?

Thank you

Even if he is in University, wouldn't you live together after your marriage?  Seems strange that he would still live in the dorm after you guys get married.

Stephanie

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2003, 01:44:31 AM »
I'm not sure if things have changed, but when I applied for my permanent residency, we had to prove that we lived together in the same house.  You might run into trouble if you were living seperately.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab