Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: MSW positions for U.S. Citizens  (Read 764 times)

• Liked: 0
MSW positions for U.S. Citizens
« on: April 08, 2005, 04:42:54 AM »
Can anyone give me some advice on finding a Social Work position in London?  I am just about to graduate with my MSW from Arizona State University.  I would like to move to London for a few years to live an work.  I have experience working in Hopsitals, Juvenile Detention Centers and in Elementary Schools.  Any help, advice would be great.  Thanks!

Re: MSW positions for U.S. Citizens
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 06:14:37 AM »
Hi Selena. There are many, many agencies in the UK that can help you find a job and get a work permit. A few that I am familiar with are: workgateways, em recruitment, UK-pro. If you do a google search for UK social work agencies you'll get hundreds of results. I'll have my MSW next May and plan to move afterAlso that so i have been doing a lot of research. Also, some agencies are reputable and some are not so be careful. Agencies offer a hugely variable benefits package, some jobs even offer relocation packages of several thousand pounds, so be sure to really check out your options before you committ. Good Luck!
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 01:42:23 PM »
Also, make sure to do some research about this (not sure if you have been doing some or what) because social work in the UK is not clinical.  (I am graduating with my MSW in a couple of weeks too.) 

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 10:33:10 PM »
Hi Selena. There are many, many agencies in the UK that can help you find a job and get a work permit. A few that I am familiar with are: workgateways, em recruitment, UK-pro. If you do a google search for UK social work agencies you'll get hundreds of results. I'll have my MSW next May and plan to move afterAlso that so i have been doing a lot of research. Also, some agencies are reputable and some are not so be careful. Agencies offer a hugely variable benefits package, some jobs even offer relocation packages of several thousand pounds, so be sure to really check out your options before you committ. Good Luck!

I looked at a couple agencies before choosing UK Pro.  I found a few that did say they offered quite a bit of financial help, but frankly, I just didn't find them helpful in beginning the process.  With UK Pro I found that they are very helpful and willing to work with you.  The woman in the U.S., Linde Grant, has been very nice, always willing to talk on the phone, and quickly responds to all emails.  I decided that was more important to me than a better financial package (I know that seems weird, it's not like I'm loaded with money).  So I am going through UK Pro and am flying out to London May 24th!  I am also graduating with my MSW May 7th.  If you have any other questions feel free to post them here or email me alysonlacey@yahoo.com.   Is anyone else going through UK Pro or heard anything about it?  Let me know.

Alyson

• AAGGGHH!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 10:40:53 PM »
Selena, I am going through Uk-Pro and met with Linde in person.  ( I am the one who recommended she look at UKY because it has a lot of helpful information concerning cultural norms, etc).  I am leaving June 21st, so you must post in the forum how its going once you get there because I know there are a few of us social workers on this forum.  Hopefully, it won't be the grievances area. ;)

• Fight'em Aggies. Whoop!
  • Location: Waco, Texas (aka We Aint Coming Out), Aggieland USA
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 11:06:32 PM »
Hello all, I have been recruited by TTM and have been offered a job in Croydon London.  I am still in thinking mode because it is such a life changing decision also since I also have a family that would be moving with me as well.  I think that it would be a once in a life time chance.  Anyone that goes over please post experiences.  I do not graduate with my MSW until DEC 05.  TTM has been very helpful and very nice.

Sheila
SMCJBC

Will arrive in London on January 9th!

Sponsored Links