Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Breastfeeding  (Read 1637 times)

Breastfeeding
« on: July 01, 2002, 05:56:00 AM »
I am still planning to have at least 1 more baby. My first 2 sons were born here in the U.S. and I attempted to breastfeed them but it was made difficult because it's more or less looked down on here. Not outright but just in ways where you're made to feel uncomfortable when out in public. I was wondering if it's more accepted in the UK. Has anyone dealt with this issue there or noticed a difference between the US and UK when it comes to breastfeeding?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2003, 07:11:53 AM by meli_snell »

Re: Breastfeeding
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2002, 06:03:45 AM »
I think the UK is more bottle-oriented than the US.  Had lots of friends who had babies while I was living in England, and not one of them elected to breastfeed.  But I would say, if you want to do it, then do it.  It's a natural thing to do and (I think) better for the baby.  I understand there are woman who cannot for various reasons nurse their infants and breastfeeding is not an option, but if it's what YOU want, and if you are able to nurse, don't let anybody dissuade you, either in the US or the UK.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2002, 06:12:44 AM by Elaine »

• Liked: 4
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2002, 10:47:25 AM »
I breastfed all three kids in the States and never felt uncomfortable.  Whenever and Wherever necessary but I was very discret about it.  Alot times people didnt even realize what i was doing under the lil blanket over my shoulder, hehe.  I know one person here (whos American) that breastfeds, and she finds it very uncomfortable in public.  The only reason I can think the differences may be is....UK  tends to provide family rooms (breastfed places) at department stores and restaurants.  So my opinion is you are forced to be away from everyone, which in turn.....when necessary,  and no place is avail, then feel kinda odd.  
"A nation which does not remember what it was yesterday does not know where it is today."
--Robert E. Lee

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2002, 06:02:12 PM »
I breastfed my youngest, and had very little qualms about doing it in public.  We have two sets of friends in the UK who had babies end of last year, and both mothers are breastfeeding.  Kind of left my BF speechless when they both did it right in front of him!!  (In their own homes - but both first times were in the same week!  Poor thing!)

However, we have been out with both couples, and I haven't noticed any embarrassment in either of them breastfeeding in public.  Both were very discreet, enough that my oldest son was sitting right in front of one and didn't even notice!  And that takes some doing, I'd say!

It's best for baby if possible; I agree that you shouldn't let anyone make up your mind for you on it.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2002, 09:17:52 PM »
I breastfed both of my kids in the US.  I was very discreet and tried to feed them in private whenever possible but when it wasn't...I did the best I could.  Both of my BF's kids were breastfed in the UK and he doesn't recall there being any problem with others making the mother feel uncomfortable.  It is fortunate that the UK supplies these feeding rooms.  I always wished for something like that back when my kids were babies.  It was easier to feed when the baby wasn't distracted by noises, people around, etc.
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2002, 10:32:35 PM »
I think y'all are right. In the US they don't set up places for breastfeeding yet don't really want you doing it out in the open. And who wants to sit in a stall in a public restroom to nurse their baby?  :-/
I was always very discrete about it. Had my little blanket over my shoulder hiding the baby. But don't you just love it when the baby reaches up and decides to pull the blanket aside and expose you?  :-[ lol

• LisaE
  • A Brit in an American shell

• From Naples, FL to Melksham, Wilts. No contest.
    • Well House Consultants
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2002, 11:34:42 PM »
I knew it was time to stop breastfeeding my son when, at 18 months, he lifted my shirt in public and start suckling. For some reason that really put me off. However those first 18 months were well worth it. He's the healthiest kid I know. So what if there's no facility. I used to take him into films, once even nursed while I was having my hair cut (heck, there's a drape over you anyway). Go for it. ;)
Married to Graham, we run our own open-source computer training company in beautiful Wiltshire out of our 1814 Georgian Regency home (a former lodging house and once featured in Antiques Roadshow)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab