Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Travel Insurance - what's the deal??  (Read 1959 times)

Travel Insurance - what's the deal??
« on: August 05, 2003, 01:52:12 AM »
Hello. Can someone help?  Do I need travel insurance every time I leave the UK?  Went on a camping holiday last month and we were required to purchase it for about £20 per person - required by the travel agent/camp site.  But do I need to get it every time I fly to the USA?  I don't really care about money back if my flight is late or passports are late.  More concerned about what would happen if... say... my appendix burst (or something!) while I was in the USA.  Would appreciate any advise.

• You'll Never Walk Alone
  • Liked: 8
Re: Travel Insurance - what's the deal??
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2003, 10:17:11 AM »
I can't really advise you, but I have noticed that the UK is travel insurance-happy!  My husband was amazed that I didn't purchase insurance before coming over when we were just "trans-atlantically dating."  He thought I had lost my mind!  I told him since I charged my tickets, Visa pretty much covered a lot of the catastrophic possibilities.  But he's purchased insurance every single time he went over to the States.

Of course - his father is in insurance!   ;D  (But not travel insurance  ;)  )
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

- Benjamin Franklin

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2003, 12:10:49 PM »
We always use travel insurance.  Especially since I travel with kids.  If something went wrong, you really need the medical cover.    There are some good deals out there that cover you for an entire year where ever you go.  Might be worth looking into.

• US to UK to US to UK.
    • Flying Nunns
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2003, 10:41:48 PM »
My husband has travel insurance with American Express - he's English - and it costs him (he thinks) less than £200 a year, and it's quite nice.. especially because it covers American Car hire (and we rent a car every time we go to the states since I totalled mine last winter!) which in our last trip meant the insurance paid for itself. It also covers loads of other things for him. I'm not on his travel insurance yet, but we're looking into it. Seems like it's worth it if you travel enough, because well, you never know. But that being said, loads of people get by without having it.
I'm done moving. Unrepatriated back to the UK, here for good!

Angels are made out of Coffee Beans, Noodles, and Carbon.

http://flyingnunns.blogspot.com
http://coffeebeancards.etsy.com

• Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2003, 06:29:15 PM »
£200 a year is an awful lot for travel insurance. I've never paid more than around 50 a year for annual multitrip insurance.

You probably need it less coming to the UK with free NHS healthcare, but I'd never go to the US without it.

Travel Insurance covers baggage theft, up to a million dollars of medical expenses, several million in personal liablity if you hire a car and hit someone and they sue, air ambulance home in emergencies, all for a few pounds a trip.

Of course several visa companies offer it as a perk, but the cost is so low, I'd really pay for a multitrip package just to be on the safe side.

A serious accident could bankrupt you for life if you don't bother with any insurance.

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2003, 07:45:01 PM »
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. Any recommendations for a cheap annual travel insurance?

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2003, 08:11:50 PM »
I've used both norwich union

newcomer link: http://www.norwichunion.com/travel/travel_insurance.htm [nonactive]

and

Endsleigh before

newcomer link: http://www.worldtravelcenter.com/eng/information/endsleigh/end_multi.cfm [nonactive]

Never used them but this seems reasonable.

newcomer link: http://www.travelcover.co.uk/ [nonactive]

But google for travel insurance and shop around. Make sure it covers US travel as some firms charge extra due to the high litigation and medical costs in the states. Make sure you don't get skiing, hand gliding or scuba diving included unless you are planning to do those things - dangerous sports add a lot to the price.

If you are going to the states, the key questions to ask is how much medical cover is provided - you need at least a million. How much cover do they offer against law suits, and can you claim back legal expenses.

Obviously watch for high excesses - if you have to pay the first £500 of any medical treatment, then the insurance may not seem such a bargin.

Even though you aren't bothered about things like lost passport, or credit card, or delayed flight, it's worth looking at what they do offer with regard minor irritation claims. For instance if you fly with BA and are stuck for a couple of days due to a walkout, you could be going home with £500 - £1000 extra in your pocket.

:)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2003, 08:17:09 PM by Jon »

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2003, 08:06:38 PM »
Check also that UK travel insurance will cover an American Citizen in the US. Some don't apparantly.
I also think it's worth noting that if you lost your passport with a visa in it, it would cost a LOT to get replaced including not only new passport costs, but re-issue of the visa.
Btw I get travel insurance through my current (checking) account with the Co-operative Bank, for £6 a month. Medical costs are covered up to £10 million, hubby is included (even though he's a US citizen) but only if he travels with me.

• Living by the sea with the man of my dreams!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 09:10:45 PM »
I have two questions on this subject:

1)  If someone has a chronic illness or has had cancer recently, do they have to qualify for this type of coverage?

2) My daughter is coming over from the US to visit for Christmas (college student).  I have her covered under insurance over there but does she need travel insurance over here?

Thanks!

Sandy
Life should NOT be a journey to the
grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well
preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand,
wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and
screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 07:02:12 PM »
I have two questions on this subject:

1)  If someone has a chronic illness or has had cancer recently, do they have to qualify for this type of coverage?

2) My daughter is coming over from the US to visit for Christmas (college student).  I have her covered under insurance over there but does she need travel insurance over here?

Thanks!

Sandy

You should find out if her US insurance covers illness outside the US. If not, she should get travel insurance. The NHS will treat in an emergency though.

Sponsored Links