Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Studying without enrolling?  (Read 1095 times)

• Liked: 0
Studying without enrolling?
« on: April 27, 2005, 11:36:00 PM »
Does anyone know if it's possible to study without formally enrolling in a university in the UK? For instance, here in the states I can take random part time classes without formally enrolling since I already have a undergraduate degree. Is this possible there?

I am trying to studying nursing but since I have a non-science undergrad degree I need to take care of some prereqs in England before I can get into a accelerated RN program in the States.

I was initially trying to study nursing in England but everything that I've heard has made this out to be impossible since I am not a EU resident and can't get that NHS grant. Guess my money is no good in UK unis  :P  if anyone has info to the contrary though I would be all ears!

Thanks!

Linmei

Re: Studying without enrolling?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2005, 01:33:04 AM »
From what I understand, UK uni's work nothing like US ones. You take a course instead of individual classes. You might be better off finding an exchange student program to go on.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2005, 08:31:44 AM »
Does anyone know if it's possible to study without formally enrolling in a university in the UK? For instance, here in the states I can take random part time classes without formally enrolling since I already have a undergraduate degree. Is this possible there?

Not sure i understand what you mean... do you want to attend the class, and get credit for it, without actually paying for it?

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 07:56:14 PM »
Sorry I'm not being very clear....

So, for example, in order to apply for a nursing program in the states (either Master's or 2nd Bachelor's) I need to take Microbiology and Psychology. I'm required to take these classes before even applying to a nursing program and I didn't take them when I did my Bachelor's in Chinese Lit. Since I want to take those classes from a university but have no interest in working towards a degree most U.S universities will let me take those classes without applying to the university or enrolling in a degree program. All I do is walk into the registrar's office, show them my Bachelor's degree, pay the course fee and attend class. What I'm wondering is whether this is the same at some UK universities. If I only want to take one or two classes, am willing to pay, and don't want a degree or diploma out of it, can I take classes without applying and being accepted into a program? I would still want to be graded and have the information on my transcript though.

The reason why I'm trying to do this is that my boyfriend is moving to the UK to do a PhD program for four years and I'm trying to figure out how I continue in my career path if I move with him. Which is why an exchange program wouldn't work for me, though it was a good idea Angie.

Hope that's clearer..

Thanks!

• Mellowing with age.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2005, 08:01:00 PM »
Not sure what you meant in your original post about not being able to enroll in a nursing program because of being an EU citizen or having an NHS grant.  If you apply for a nursing program and are accepted, you'll be issued a student visa for the course of your study plus 4 months.  You may be required by a UK uni to take some foundation courses or pre-reqs.
Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse. The setting sun is reflected from the windows of the almshouse as brightly as from the rich man’s abode; the snow melts before its doors as early in the spring. Cultivate property like a garden herb, like sage. Do not trouble yourself much to get new things, whether clothes or friends. Turn the old; return to them. Things do not change; we change. Sell your clothes and keep your thoughts…

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 04:49:54 PM »
Thanks all, but I figured it out on my own after all.

I found one university in Oxford that calls it being an "associate student" and lets you take a few classes without applying or being admitted, 'to test the waters.' Just what I was looking for. Perhaps they offer this as a part of their effort to reach out to 'mature' students like me.

Thanks anyhow!

Linmei

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab